OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 19, 2014, 06:05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ecumenism in a vacuum?  (Read 270 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: May 22, 2013, 01:35:22 PM »

This isn't really much of a question; but it's a thought based on my own experiences, that others might like to comment on ...

It seems to me that one of the problems with "ecumenism" is that many people will speak as though it exists in a vacuum.

For example, I've been in a lot of conversations about a person (or parish) that came over to Catholicism from, say, Orthodoxy or Anglicanism, in which the conversants completely disregard the fact that the convert was previously in communion with someone else before being in communion with Rome.

Or, to take a stronger example, I recall hearing people speak as though the Union of Brest must have been a good thing, since the end result was communion-with-Rome -- completely disregarding how problematic the means were.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: