OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 24, 2014, 10:06:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ancient Irish had gay marriage?  (Read 693 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 25, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »

Princeton University's Philip and Beulah Rollins Professor of History Emeritus Dr. Peter Brown presented the 30th Annual Father Alexander Schmemann Memorial Lecture. Starting around 13:10, Dr Brown makes an interesting claim. Brown says that Bardaisan of Edessa and his disciples, around 220 AD, in his/their "Book of the Laws of the Countries", described, for instance, the Chinese culture as one free of thieves or prostitutes, whereas the Persians practiced incest with their mothers, and the Irish (as Brown, of Irish descent, laments) "were known to have favored gay marriages".

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 03:03:43 PM »

I wonder what the rite in question actually is.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2013, 03:31:51 PM »

I wonder what the rite in question actually is.
...and whether Bardaisan was simply dumped by an Irish ex-girlfriend.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

In the North, and in the country of the Gauls and their neighbours, such youths among them as are handsome the men take as wives, and they even have feasts on the occasion; and it is not considered by them as a disgrace, nor as a reproach, because of the law which prevails among them.  But it is a thing impossible that all those in Gaul who are branded with this disgrace should at their Nativities have had Mercury posited with Venus in the house of Saturn, and within the limits of Mars, and in the signs of the zodiac to the west.  For, concerning such men as are born under these conditions, it is written that they are branded with infamy, as being like women.

Laws of the Britons.—Among the Britons many men take one and the same wife.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/008/0081486.htm
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 03:55:16 PM by Romaios » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:12 PM »

In the North, and in the country of the Gauls and their neighbours, such youths among them as are handsome the men take as wives, and they even have feasts on the occasion; and it is not considered by them as a disgrace, nor as a reproach....
What gall!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:24:39 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 04:34:45 PM »

Was it Bardaisan who thought something like the nature of God was water, and St. Ephraim the Syrian quipped that Bardaisan had water for brains?

Of course, the above has nothing to do with the ancient pagan Celts who had many other wonderful practices like burning people in giant wicker men.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Asteriktos
Protostrator

Faith: Like an arrow to the knee

Happy 450th birthday, Mr. Shakespeare!

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 05:46:45 PM »

In the North, and in the country of the Gauls and their neighbours, such youths among them as are handsome the men take as wives, and they even have feasts on the occasion; and it is not considered by them as a disgrace, nor as a reproach....
What gall!

"Without God, gall is permitted"  angel
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2013, 10:15:56 PM »

What gall!

"Without God, gall is permitted"  angel

Without Caesar, Gaul is permitted...to exist free of Roman rule.
(Okay, so that was forcing it. Sue me.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 10:17:10 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

So it was a Gaul or nothing proposition?

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2013, 11:47:13 PM »

So it was a Gaul or nothing proposition?

Groan!  Too Pun-ishing! No biscuit!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 11:48:07 PM by Ebor » Logged

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic Archeparchy of Pittsburgh

From BBC Louisiana to you, here's the morning news

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 12:59:19 AM »

Frankly, culturalised homosexuality or bisexuality wasn't an uncommon thing in warrior cultures like the Celts- it was also prominent among the Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, Sub-Saharan Africans, Native Americans, and some other ancient cultures I can't think of at the moment.

BBC news certified; The Guardian rejected; OC.net approved.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 01:24:01 AM »

In the North, and in the country of the Gauls and their neighbours, such youths among them as are handsome the men take as wives, and they even have feasts on the occasion; and it is not considered by them as a disgrace, nor as a reproach, because of the law which prevails among them.  But it is a thing impossible that all those in Gaul who are branded with this disgrace should at their Nativities have had Mercury posited with Venus in the house of Saturn, and within the limits of Mars, and in the signs of the zodiac to the west.  For, concerning such men as are born under these conditions, it is written that they are branded with infamy, as being like women.

Laws of the Britons.—Among the Britons many men take one and the same wife.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/chr/ecf/008/0081486.htm
Ah, so it was pederasty. And "take as wives" could simply indicate sexual intercourse.

"...you are the orphan, not the protagonist."

-St. Seraphim of Vyritsa, 'This was from me'
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 01:25:11 AM »

Frankly, culturalised homosexuality or bisexuality wasn't an uncommon thing in warrior cultures like the Celts- it was also prominent among the Greeks, Japanese, Chinese, Sub-Saharan Africans, Native Americans, and some other ancient cultures I can't think of at the moment.

"Prominent" is an odd word for something that has ever been a small minority--unless there was a gay ruling class, which would be weird.

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2013, 01:27:07 AM »

True- though when I say "prominent" I mean simply not only heard of on the fringes of the society. Considering it was hardly a minority in the Spartan Army...

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2013, 01:36:23 AM »

True- though when I say "prominent" I mean simply not only heard of on the fringes of the society. Considering it was hardly a minority in the Spartan Army...

Putting homosexuals on the front lines of combat was a good way of getting rid of that element, according to a friend's classics professor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 01:37:01 AM by Shanghaiski » Logged

brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2013, 01:49:56 AM »

Your friend's classics professor might have a slightly homophobic slant to his teachings. The view I was taught was that it was regarded as a way to strengthtn ties among the soldiers, so they would fight their absolute hardest. Which makes sense, in retrospect- if your lover's in the ranks with you, anyone would make quite sure that he doesn't get killed- and he'll probably do likewise. If the entire front rank is made up of male lovers... you have a lot of angry lovers fighting beside angry lovers. What was the reference from the Symposium? Oh, right- "He would prefer to die many deaths: while as for leaving the one he loves in a lurch, or not succoring him in peril, no man is such a craven that the influence of Love cannot inspire him with a courage that makes him equal to the bravest born."

ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2013, 02:30:03 AM »

Your friend's classics professor might have a slightly homophobic slant to his teachings. The view I was taught was that it was regarded as a way to strengthtn ties among the soldiers, so they would fight their absolute hardest. Which makes sense, in retrospect- if your lover's in the ranks with you, anyone would make quite sure that he doesn't get killed- and he'll probably do likewise. If the entire front rank is made up of male lovers... you have a lot of angry lovers fighting beside angry lovers. What was the reference from the Symposium? Oh, right- "He would prefer to die many deaths: while as for leaving the one he loves in a lurch, or not succoring him in peril, no man is such a craven that the influence of Love cannot inspire him with a courage that makes him equal to the bravest born."
of course, there's that nasty problem when you break up with your boyfriend, in which case you might not mind leaving him in the lurch at the front line.

And then there is jealousy.  In which case you have angry lovers fighting angry lovers-both on your side.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
brastaseptim
Protopsáltis
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2013, 02:54:00 AM »

True, true. And then comes the resulting Spartan slapfest while the Persians are busy looking on with confused looks.  Grin

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 03:01:02 AM »

My question is, what difference does it make if certain parts of ancient Ireland allowed homosexuality?  Sin infects the entire world, especially those ancient cultures which were pagan.  It means only that mankind has been sinning a long time, but we already knew this.  Incest is in ancient biblical times, but it's still wrong.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 03:07:46 AM »

The view I was taught was that it was regarded as a way to strengthen ties among the soldiers, so they would fight their absolute hardest.

Euboulos (cited by Athenaios in Deipnosophistai 1, 46) had a different version - according to him, it all started as a bitter necessity during the long decade of the siege of Troy:

ἀλλ' οὐδὲ μίαν ἀλλ' ἑταίραν εἶδέ τις
  αὐτῶν, ἑαυτοὺς δ' ἔδεφον ἐνιαυτοὺς δέκα.
  πικρὰν στρατείαν δ' εἶδον, οἵτινες πόλιν
  μίαν λαβόντες εὐρυπρωκτότεροι πολὺ
  τῆς πόλεος ἀπεχώρησαν ἧς εἷλον τότε.

"No one ever set eyes on a single hetaira [prostitute];
they wanked them-selves for ten years.
It was a poor sort of campaign: for the capture of one city,
they went home with arses much wider
than (the gates of) the city that they took."
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 03:16:12 AM by Romaios » Logged
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2013, 04:06:31 AM »

Putting homosexuals on the front lines of combat was a good way of getting rid of that element, according to a friend's classics professor.
Did he support DADT?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2013, 03:51:46 PM »

And that's a rather homophilic slant.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

If you fall out of line, ever so slightly, with the standard spin on the matter, you have this phobia for some reason.  It is rather comical.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2013, 04:15:03 PM »

If you fall out of line, ever so slightly, with the standard spin on the matter, you have this phobia for some reason.  It is rather comical.

Indeed.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: