OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:25:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic Receiving Orthodox Communion  (Read 6092 times) Average Rating: 0
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2013, 03:18:04 AM »

These scriptures also are NOT applicable today. The saints of the apostolic age lived BEFORE the new covenant was ratified when God was still dealing with His people as with children. The new covenant principle is that God no more leads us "by the hand" and that no man teaches us (Hebrews 8:7-13).
If you believe that we are no longer taught through men in any sense, then through whom were you taught? Did you hear the name Jesus Christ and the Gospel in a divine vision?

If the Eucharist is necessarily communal in the sense you say, then why did Paul say that a man could partake at home by himself (1 Cor. 11:34)?
He didn't, in context the passage is saying, "go fill up on bread and wine at your own home if you're hungry instead of hogging the Eucharistic gifts."
« Last Edit: February 08, 2013, 03:29:13 AM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »

These scriptures also are NOT applicable today. The saints of the apostolic age lived BEFORE the new covenant was ratified when God was still dealing with His people as with children. The new covenant principle is that God no more leads us "by the hand" and that no man teaches us (Hebrews 8:7-13). Note that verse 13 indicates that the old covenant was still passing away in their time. Paul had also indicated that the old covenant was "passing away" (2 Corinthians 3:4-11). Now that the old has fully passed God deals with us as adults. This means that we live according to conscience.

Right on Brother!

We're at the dawning of the Age of Aquarius.

\end{sarcasm}

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2013, 09:25:00 AM »

If you believe that we are no longer taught through men in any sense, then through whom were you taught?
Nuns.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
thethinker

« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »

thethinker asserted:

These scriptures also are NOT applicable today. The saints of the apostolic age lived BEFORE the new covenant was ratified when God was still dealing with His people as with children. The new covenant principle is that God no more leads us "by the hand" and that no man teaches us (Hebrews 8:7-13). Note that verse 13 indicates that the old covenant was still passing away in their time. Paul had also indicated that the old covenant was "passing away" (2 Corinthians 3:4-11). Now that the old has fully passed God deals with us as adults. This means that we live according to conscience.

Cavaradossi asked:

Where do the Holy Scriptures teach of such a thing as a special transitional period which will cease?

Paul claimed that he and the apostolic company were the "stewards of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the spirit; for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life" (2 Corinthians 3:5). Then in verse 11 he said that the old "is passing away" (not has passed away).

In Romans he likened the old covenant (oc) to the night and the new covenant (nc) to the day saying, "The night (oc) is far spent, the day (nc) is at hand...."

The first saints lived in the transitional period between the old and new covenants.

choy
Archon

« Reply #184 on: February 08, 2013, 07:01:47 PM »

thethinker asserted:

Cavaradossi asked:

Where do the Holy Scriptures teach of such a thing as a special transitional period which will cease?

Paul claimed that he and the apostolic company were the "stewards of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the spirit; for the letter kills, but the spirit gives life" (2 Corinthians 3:5). Then in verse 11 he said that the old "is passing away" (not has passed away).

In Romans he likened the old covenant (oc) to the night and the new covenant (nc) to the day saying, "The night (oc) is far spent, the day (nc) is at hand...."

The first saints lived in the transitional period between the old and new covenants.

And who says the transitional period is done?
choy
Archon

« Reply #185 on: February 08, 2013, 07:02:17 PM »

If you believe that we are no longer taught through men in any sense, then through whom were you taught?
Nuns.

*slow clap*
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #186 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:11 PM »

So, when in history did the Church stop being governed by bishops and presbyters?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
thethinker

« Reply #187 on: February 08, 2013, 11:18:23 PM »

So, when in history did the Church stop being governed by bishops and presbyters?

I will have to start a thread in the proper forum. I received a warning for posting my views here. I did this in ignorance.

I will answer your question after the weekend.
JoeS2
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catholic by choice
Jurisdiction: OCA

St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)

« Reply #188 on: February 25, 2013, 10:01:09 PM »

A properly educated catholic would know better than to commune at an Orthodox Church.   

Most if not all Orthodox priests WILL question you as you approach the cup whether or not you are Orthodox IF he doesn't know you.  I've held the Communion cloth on many occasions and our priest will stop and question whether the person is Orthodox, what parish, when was their last confession, and did they fast properly.  Otherwise, he will politely ask the person to just kiss the Chalice and if that person would mind waiting until the end of Liturgy for a conference with Father on our Orthodox practice...........And this is done 'religiously'
bergschlawiner

Sarisan

« Reply #189 on: February 26, 2013, 02:40:35 AM »

Hope it has not already been mentioned buried somewhere in this thread, but in the last days of Communism the Moscow Patriarch allowed Roman Catholics, usually from the Baltic Republics who were isolated elsewhere in the USSR, to receive the Eucharist in Orthodox churches.
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #190 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27:53 PM »

The Moscow Patriarchate later rescinded this open communion policy when drawing closer to the ROCOR "stance." Now it is even forbidden by the Patriarchate to so much as pray together with Catholics.

I am trying to be informative about these things and not to become polemical. I hope I am succeeding in y'all's eyes. I'm not trying to enter into any topic deeply, and in fact I probably don't have time for Deep.

With respect,
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: