OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 02:57:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prosphora Piercing  (Read 561 times) Average Rating: 0
Peacemaker
Elder

« on: January 28, 2013, 05:44:32 PM »

Note: Please move if need be, we use prosphora in the Liturgy so I thought this was the place.

I've started to make prosphora for our Church and I was interested to find some information of the meaning and different ways in which you pierce the seal. The way I was taught (Greek loaf) pierce the top, bottom and both sized for the Father Son and Holy Spirit. Then the four corners of the lamb for Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, then around the outside 8 more for the other apostles.

That to me seems like a lot of holes. Granted, Greek loafs are rather big and they are only one loaf. I've seen Russian loafs that have 5 holes and all of which are near the lamb. Top, bottom, left, right and center. What are the 5 holes in Russian prosphora representing?

Thank you for any insight
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 05:48:37 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
arimethea
Getting too old for this
Archon

Faith: Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Antioch

Does anyone really care what you think?

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:12:50 PM »

You pierce the loaves to remove air pockets. I tend to use a skewer, and poke where ever their is an intersection in the seal since having an air bubble under the seal is a disaster.

Having a prayer rule for this is nice, but there is no one universal rule.

Joseph
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:17:40 PM »

You pierce the loaves to remove air pockets. I tend to use a skewer, and poke where ever their is an intersection in the seal since having an air bubble under the seal is a disaster.

I understand  Smiley, I'm trying to find the symbolism behind the five holes and why they are placed where they are in Russian prosphora.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 06:23:14 PM »

I tend to place the strategically to let out the most air and use a fork with one of the tines bent down. 

None of my loaves have been used in a liturgy yet, so just practice.  IDK, what prayers are to be used when making the holes or what symbolism there is.  I don't see anything in my prayer book.  I'd probably just use the morning prayers since they are pretty standard.

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 06:23:31 PM »

I understand  Smiley, I'm trying to find the symbolism behind the five holes and why they are placed where they are in Russian prosphora.

Hazarding a guess, I would say it's to make the sign of the cross.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:47 PM »

As I am wont to say, to the great displeasure of some, this is a job for old widowed women.
choy
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »

I tend to place the strategically to let out the most air and use a fork with one of the tines bent down. 

None of my loaves have been used in a liturgy yet, so just practice.  IDK, what prayers are to be used when making the holes or what symbolism there is.  I don't see anything in my prayer book.  I'd probably just use the morning prayers since they are pretty standard.

Fr. George (from prosphora.org) said that if you are the type who prays when they do something, then pray when making prosphora.  If not, don't force it.  For me I just say a short prayer that the prosphoras would come out nice, worthy to be offered on the altar.

As for the 5 holes, a friend commented about the 5 wounds of Christ (the wounds he retained after the Resurrection).  But for me it depends on the size of the prosphora I will make.  The bigger, the more holes I will poke.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: