OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 11:37:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OO view of Catholic Sacraments  (Read 397 times) Average Rating: 0
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« on: January 19, 2013, 09:17:44 AM »

I read earlier today that Armenians and Syriacs view Catholics as having valid sacraments but Coptics do not. Is this true?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:18:08 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 09:31:52 AM »

I read earlier today that Armenians and Syriacs view Catholics as having valid sacraments but Coptics do not. Is this true?

I'm not aware of any official statement either way, I'm not aware of any Coptic clergy who believe them to be invalid (which is not necessarily the same thing as saying they're valid, but then the whole idea of invalid or valid is a pretty RC way of thinking in the first place...).
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 10:57:54 AM »

Catholics who convert to Coptic Orthodoxy are generally baptised, which would suggest they do not recognise Catholic baptism. This appears to have more to do with form (sprinkling rather than immersion) rather than it being Catholic, but it would follow that someone who hasn't been baptised cannot be validly ordained, and therefore cannot celebrate the Eucharist. So the logical conclusion based on the Coptic mode of reception would be that they do not recognise Roman Catholic sacraments, even if they wouldn't explicitly deny them.
Jonathan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:05:38 AM »

Eastern Catholics are not rebaptised though...

A few decades ago even Eastern Orthodox were received by rebaptism.

This has more to do with ignorance and politics than theology or statements about others...

It seems that the contradictory position of the past few decades (there are hardly traditional practises) is that Catholics sacraments are probably valid but their baptism is illegal so they have to be rebaptised... I'm afraid that it's actually more likely that there's a sense that they're being baptised in to the Coptic Orthodox Church rather into the One Church...when there is such sentiment and confusion the actions based on it can't be used to draw conclusions about the validity of Catholic orders...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: