OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 09:08:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From Tibet to Mount Athos to Elder Paisius  (Read 2237 times) Average Rating: 0
jah777
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« on: January 23, 2013, 02:54:12 PM »

This is an excellent book that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in Tibetan Buddhism and other Eastern non-Christian spiritual traditions.  I wanted to mention the book here because I have not seen much mention of it and the book is fairly new.  The story is narrated of a young man named George who was baptized Orthodox as a baby but then was kidnapped by his grandfather and taken to be raised in a Buddhist monastery.  His grandfather encountered Buddhism only as an old man and marveled at the amazing powers that the monks exhibited.  He grieved that he was too old to become a Buddhist monk himself and cultivate these powers, so he kidnapped his 2 year old grandson so that he could at least be raised in such a monastery and taught all of the secrets of their powers.  By the time the boy became a teenager, he was among the most highly accomplished monks in the monastery and had cultivated incredible powers.  He was even counted among the elite monastics under the Dalai Lama.  Eventually, however, he begins to wonder about where he came from and who his parents were.  He tracked down his parents, encountered Orthodoxy for the first time since he was a baby, and through an encounter with an Orthodox priest he began to wonder whether there was a greater power in Orthodoxy than what he had learned.  He eventually goes to Mt. Athos and meets Elder Paisios. 

The story of George is told by a man who came to know George while he was staying on Mt. Athos.  One story from the life of George that is narrated in the book is found  also in the Life of Elder Paisios written by Hieromonk Isaac, where George attempts to show off his powers to Elder Paisios.  This story relates how George's powers were futile against the power of the sign of the cross, and how the demons beat and harmed him when he was defeated by Elder Paisios. 

George goes into great detail in the book about how the Tibetan monks worship Satan and have all of their powers from the demons, how the demons help them accomplish marvelous things, how Tibetan Buddhist monasticism imitates the Orthodox monastic typicon very well externally but in the service of the Evil One, etc.  George's desire to repent and embrace Orthodoxy, and how the demons to whom he was closely connected created so many hardships for him when he wished to leave their clutches, is also related.  George also provides a very helpful description of the various demons and how they attempt to ensnare us. 

This book is very important, as sadly even some among the Orthodox are ignorant of the demonic powers behind many non-Orthodox spiritual traditions and may be tempted to think that somehow Tibetan Buddhism is "close to" Orthodoxy, or that there is at least something to learn from it.  Such people are not influenced in their thinking by the Scriptures or the Fathers but by the philosophies of this world and "political correctness".  The book is short, concise, but very illuminating and helpful for those who wish to take seriously the spiritual struggle against the invisible enemy.

This book can be purchased from:

http://www.orthodoxchristianchildren.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1171&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100001
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 03:01:35 PM »

This is an excellent book that I would highly recommend to anyone interested in Tibetan Buddhism and other Eastern non-Christian spiritual traditions.  I wanted to mention the book here because I have not seen much mention of it and the book is fairly new.  The story is narrated of a young man named George who was baptized Orthodox as a baby but then was kidnapped by his grandfather and taken to be raised in a Buddhist monastery.  His grandfather encountered Buddhism only as an old man and marveled at the amazing powers that the monks exhibited.  He grieved that he was too old to become a Buddhist monk himself and cultivate these powers, so he kidnapped his 2 year old grandson so that he could at least be raised in such a monastery and taught all of the secrets of their powers.  By the time the boy became a teenager, he was among the most highly accomplished monks in the monastery and had cultivated incredible powers.  He was even counted among the elite monastics under the Dalai Lama.  Eventually, however, he begins to wonder about where he came from and who his parents were.  He tracked down his parents, encountered Orthodoxy for the first time since he was a baby, and through an encounter with an Orthodox priest he began to wonder whether there was a greater power in Orthodoxy than what he had learned.  He eventually goes to Mt. Athos and meets Elder Paisios. 

The story of George is told by a man who came to know George while he was staying on Mt. Athos.  One story from the life of George that is narrated in the book is found  also in the Life of Elder Paisios written by Hieromonk Isaac, where George attempts to show off his powers to Elder Paisios.  This story relates how George's powers were futile against the power of the sign of the cross, and how the demons beat and harmed him when he was defeated by Elder Paisios. 

George goes into great detail in the book about how the Tibetan monks worship Satan and have all of their powers from the demons, how the demons help them accomplish marvelous things, how Tibetan Buddhist monasticism imitates the Orthodox monastic typicon very well externally but in the service of the Evil One, etc.  George's desire to repent and embrace Orthodoxy, and how the demons to whom he was closely connected created so many hardships for him when he wished to leave their clutches, is also related.  George also provides a very helpful description of the various demons and how they attempt to ensnare us. 

This book is very important, as sadly even some among the Orthodox are ignorant of the demonic powers behind many non-Orthodox spiritual traditions and may be tempted to think that somehow Tibetan Buddhism is "close to" Orthodoxy, or that there is at least something to learn from it.  Such people are not influenced in their thinking by the Scriptures or the Fathers but by the philosophies of this world and "political correctness".  The book is short, concise, but very illuminating and helpful for those who wish to take seriously the spiritual struggle against the invisible enemy.

This book can be purchased from:

http://www.orthodoxchristianchildren.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=1171&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=100001

how did they hide George in the Dalai Lama's entourage until this exposé?   I should think he would stick out and attract attention before then.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 03:13:04 PM »

Interesting book. Are there any reviews? It's not on Amazon.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 03:13:13 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 06:46:52 AM »

Do Buddhist monks have powers ?.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 07:13:28 AM »

Well, I think it depends on which kind of buddhism it is. Since buddhism, historically, have been very good at assimilating into other cultures, it has often incorporated native beliefs into its own belief system. The belief that monks can acquire magical powrs might well be a result of such fusion.

I have read that some people claim to have seen tibetan monks levitate above the ground. 

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 10:11:40 AM »

Highly cultivated Vajrayana monks and lamas, called siddhas, have a number of powers. This can include clairvoyance, ability to control weather, levitation, etc. A highly publicized and well-documented power of some Buddhist practitioners is the practice of tummo, one of the six esoteric yogas of Naropa, where the adept generates heat by meditation and can remain warm even in freezing environments.

Buddhist teachers will constantly say that the attainment of such powers is not the purpose of Buddhist practice, but nevertheless these stories circulate to beguile the faithful.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 10:13:09 AM »

Well, I think it depends on which kind of buddhism it is. Since buddhism, historically, have been very good at assimilating into other cultures, it has often incorporated native beliefs into its own belief system. The belief that monks can acquire magical powrs might well be a result of such fusion.

I have read that some people claim to have seen tibetan monks levitate above the ground. 

The belief in siddhis is rooted in Buddhism itself and the sutras generally attribute various magical powers to the Buddha. While there are many commonalities with Hinduism here, the explanations of these powers are authentic to Buddhist philosophy.

Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 10:17:23 AM »

Klaus Kenneth was a buddhist monk he mentions in his testimonys he would see demons when meditating. His testimony is on YouTube. http://youtu.be/Z0ydiMuju-c
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 10:23:03 AM »

Klaus Kenneth was a buddhist monk he mentions in his testimonys he would see demons when meditating. His testimony is on YouTube. http://youtu.be/Z0ydiMuju-c

Well, remember many Christian monks, including saints, report seeing demons when praying or engaged in other pious activities.

A lot of the Buddhist "saints" reported seeing demons, being taunted or attacked by them. They are typically ignored or revealed to be illusory.

There is even a tantric practice called Chöd where the practitioner visualizes himself being eaten alive by demons. Among other things this practice is supposed to undermine attachment to the body.

Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 10:26:18 AM »

The belief in siddhis is rooted in Buddhism itself and the sutras generally attribute various magical powers to the Buddha. While there are many commonalities with Hinduism here, the explanations of these powers are authentic to Buddhist philosophy.

Are you a former Buddhist or something? You seem to have in-depth knowledge of all things Buddhist.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 10:27:10 AM »

I believe that I saw a demon whilst meditating. At the time I didn't know what exactly to make of it, though it certainly scared me. It's one of the things that led to me leaving Buddhism.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 10:28:15 AM »

Thank you. I wasn't absolutely sure. I just knew that buddhism often mix with native religion so I thought that this could also have been the case here.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 10:30:45 AM »

Are you a former Buddhist or something? You seem to have in-depth knowledge of all things Buddhist.

Yes, I was formerly a Karma Kagyu Buddhist. No, I was never able to levitate or teleport.  Smiley

psalm110
Elder

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 10:42:41 AM »

Yes, I was formerly a Karma Kagyu Buddhist. No, I was never able to levitate or teleport.  Smiley

Did you kno any monks that could fly or even teleport ?.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:47:50 AM »

Did you kno any monks that could fly or even teleport ?.

I met lamas with such supposed abilities but never witnessed anything myself.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2013, 11:27:10 AM »

Was that before or after the death of the 16th Karmapa?

-St Silouan the athonite
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

"My god is greater."

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2013, 12:04:49 PM »

Was that before or after the death of the 16th Karmapa?

After. I was immediately faced with the confusion and sordidness of the 17th Karmapa controversy.

Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2013, 12:33:41 PM »

Hinduism, Buddhism, and Jainism posit that the practice of meditation can lead to various sorts of siddhi (Sanskrit) or iddhi (Pali).

The greatest holy persons in these traditions always stress that the development of siddhis/iddhis can help encourage one's faith and practice, but one should not make it one's goal to gain such powers, since being attached to the powers can lead to pride and egoism. The Hindu sage Ramakrishna (19th century), said that the gaining of such powers in fact prevents communion/union with God.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: