OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 08:26:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lutherans bristle at suggestion of joining Catholic Church  (Read 683 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:49 PM »

Two leading Lutheran clerics have rejected suggestions from the Vatican that it could create a subdivision for converted Lutherans similar to its structures for Anglicans who join the Roman Catholic Church.
While the Vatican's opening to Anglicans followed years of bitter public splits in that church, very few of the world's 75 million Lutherans seem interested in reunification with Rome.

Cardinal Kurt Koch, head of the Pontifical Council for Christian Unity, said last October the Vatican would consider creating an ordinariate if Lutherans asked for one.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 04:11:26 PM »

It's an odd world when even the Lutherans are more Catholic and traditional than the Roman Catholic Church.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:11:37 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 04:22:30 PM »

How about Orthodoxy?
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »

How about Orthodoxy?
around here I've posted on the Nordic Catholic Church on this question.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Clemente

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Europe

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 05:23:53 PM »

It's an odd world when even the Lutherans are more Catholic and traditional than the Roman Catholic Church.

There are some Lutherans that are quite Catholic and in fact one group, the Anglo-Lutheran Catholic Church, has declared it's intention of joining the RC church. They are in fact very small in numbers, though.

My experience growing up in the Lutheran Church was that anti-papism almost defined them, much more than "liberal" or "conservative". Which is a pity, because theologically they are not so far off from the RC church and closer than most other Protestants. Martin Luther had some legitimate complaints about Roman innovations such as Indulgences, but I think he would be horrified by the state of Lutheran churches today.

They should have joined Holy Orthodoxy in the 16th century. Here's a good Orthodox summary of the dialogue between Patriarch Jeremias II and the Tübingen Lutherans in the 16th century: http://www.stpaulsirvine.org/html/lutheran.htm
Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 06:14:28 PM »

They always have been, that's why they were protesting in the first place. Most Lutherans consider themselves Evangelical Catholics.

I personally think if you read the Augsburg Confession and read the church fathers it's all fully acceptable doctrine that was preached in the early church. Maybe not universally but in those days there were a wide range of theological differences.

It won't ever happen but I think if the Pope gave up his Primacy and Infallibility and Rome and the East could be open to some theological differences the Roman Catholics, EO, OO, Anglicans, and Lutherans could unite.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »

It won't ever happen but I think if the Pope gave up his Primacy and Infallibility and Rome and the East could be open to some theological differences heresy the Roman Catholics, EO, OO, Anglicans, and Lutherans could unite.
Corrected.  Wink

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 06:20:23 PM »

Most Lutherans consider themselves Evangelical Catholics.

This simply isn't true. If you really are a Lutheran in a real-life Lutheran parish you know yourself that this simply isn't true. The idea of Lutherans "Evangelical Catholic" comes up only when Lutherans try to defend their faith from annoying questions. The actual day to day logic is a lot more "Protestant" than "Catholic".
David Garner
Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 11:29:48 PM »

Most Lutherans consider themselves Evangelical Catholics.

This simply isn't true. If you really are a Lutheran in a real-life Lutheran parish you know yourself that this simply isn't true. The idea of Lutherans "Evangelical Catholic" comes up only when Lutherans try to defend their faith from annoying questions. The actual day to day logic is a lot more "Protestant" than "Catholic".

That depends on which Lutheran you speak to, but I would agree that "most" is quite a stretch, at least here in America.  In my experience, "most" Lutherans are Protestant to the core.

The best Lutherans (in my opinion) consider themselves evangelical catholics, but unfortunately most Lutherans have strayed far from their own Confessions.  And those Confessions stray in pertinent part from the historic faith, but not nearly as much as most modern American Lutherans.

Happy Lutheran
Servant of Christ
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Lutheran

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 09:03:56 AM »

Fine, "most" Lutherans that actually understand their theology and histoy consider themselves Evangelical Catholics. The reformers at the time considered themselves Evangelical or Evangelical Catholic. In our church we keep the words of the creed "The Holy Catholic Church". My father in law is a Lutheran Pastor and says the 60% or more Lutherans do not understand those things so if that's your point OK. I don't think that is any different than any other church though.

1 Corinthians 1:27 - But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong
David Garner
Elder

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »

Fine, "most" Lutherans that actually understand their theology and histoy consider themselves Evangelical Catholics. The reformers at the time considered themselves Evangelical or Evangelical Catholic. In our church we keep the words of the creed "The Holy Catholic Church". My father in law is a Lutheran Pastor and says the 60% or more Lutherans do not understand those things so if that's your point OK. I don't think that is any different than any other church though.

I don't know that the entire problem is that they don't understand.  Some don't understand.  Some understand full well and have adopted sectarian church growth methodology in order to increase numbers.  Some just like more protestant styled worship.  Some are anti-catholic.  Etc.  I showed our previous pastor the "You're a Lutheran: 18 things you didn't know you believed" blog post once, and he looked at me like I was from Mars.  Every single one of those points is from the Confessions, but you'd have thought I was showing him a list of things that had been condemned at first Nicea.

I fully agree with you, however, that Lutherans that have a good grasp on their history and the Confessions overwhelmingly consider themselves to be evangelical catholics.  I'm certainly not arguing that point.

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 03:18:26 PM »

It won't ever happen but I think if the Pope gave up his Primacy [...]

But that would be silly.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:20:24 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

On a OC.net diet.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 04:55:17 PM »

I personally think if you read the Augsburg Confession and read the church fathers it's all fully acceptable doctrine that was preached in the early church. Maybe not universally but in those days there were a wide range of theological differences.

Patriarch Jermias II would beg to differ, I think.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 04:57:33 PM »

It won't ever happen but I think if the Pope gave up his Primacy [...]

But that would be silly.

Perhaps "supremacy" was meant instead.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: