OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:45:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Book of Common Prayer (Orthodox)  (Read 1562 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« on: January 22, 2013, 05:45:04 PM »

Having gone to Roman Catholic Churches with my babcia as a little kid, and attending Anglican Churches during my year long bout of apostasy, I have really come to love the Western Christian tradition, nearly as much as the Eastern.  Being back in the EOC, I was doing some reading about the Western Rite of the Orthodox Church, and am more than pleasantly surprised.  There are three WRO Churches in my state, one of which is only about an hour away from my house.

I will probably attend my beloved OCA parish until I die, but I would love to visit the WRO parish.

I see that they have their own prayer book.  I admit, I really liked the simple style of the Book of Common Prayer when I was attending the Anglican Church.  

Do any of you have thoughts about the Book of Common Prayer, an Orthodox version used in the Western Rite?
http://www.andrewespress.com/bcp.html
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:47:19 PM by trevor72694 » Logged

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 05:53:08 PM »

Having gone to Roman Catholic Churches with my babcia as a little kid, and attending Anglican Churches during my year long bout of apostasy, I have really come to love the Western Christian tradition, nearly as much as the Eastern.  Being back in the EOC, I was doing some reading about the Western Rite of the Orthodox Church, and am more than pleasantly surprised.  There are three WRO Churches in my state, one of which is only about an hour away from my house.

I will probably attend my beloved OCA parish until I die, but I would love to visit the WRO parish.

I see that they have their own prayer book.  I admit, I really liked the simple style of the Book of Common Prayer when I was attending the Anglican Church.  

Do any of you have thoughts about the Book of Common Prayer, an Orthodox version used in the Western Rite?
Other than it is Orthodox, Western, and has a fantastic office for the Neo-Martyrs of Russia, no.

Btw, it's "the Orthodox Missal", not "the Book of Common Prayer."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:54:13 PM by ialmisry » Logged

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 06:12:42 PM »

What do you mean by simple? Did you attend a low church parish? I've attended Anglican mass only once but IIRC it didn't seem like anyhow simple. It was somewhat high-ish church though which might explain lack of simplicity.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »

What do you mean by simple? Did you attend a low church parish? I've attended Anglican mass only once but IIRC it didn't seem like anyhow simple. It was somewhat high-ish church though which might explain lack of simplicity.
It was high church, but I attended the Rite I services, which had no singing or anything, just bible readings, prayers, and communion.  It was extremely simple compared to the Orthodox DL I was used to.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
ialmisry
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 06:47:19 PM »

Did you attend in the US, or in Europe?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

As Isa said, it is indeed Orthodox and Western and has fantastic offices, and I might add, it is also beautiful, profound, and haunting. He also correctly stated that it isn't really "the Book of Common Prayer" (the liturgical/devotional expression approved for WRO, that is) so much as it is a Divine Liturgy that seeks to preserve as much of that traditional language, ritual, and otherwise peculiarly Anglo-Catholic tradition, as possible. It far exceeds anything within Anglican tradition. It should be seen more as a fulfillment and culmination of all the beautiful and unique aspects of Anglican patrimony, as opposed to a wholesale adoption of all-things-Anglican and slapping an Orthodox stamp of approval upon it, as some claim (although, historically, that wouldn't be an unacceptable thing either Smiley).

The actual BCP you've linked to is not an official Orthodox publication, but it was compiled and edited by an Orthodox priest and there is nothing un-Orthodox about it. My wife and I use it for our daily prayers and it's easily the best BCP yet published. Highly recommended.

You should go visit one of the WR parishes when you get a chance.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:57:55 PM by Sleeper » Logged
Punch
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:42 PM »

I have the book that you have linked, as well as the notated Psalms from the same publisher.  The linked "Book of Common Prayer"  (it is NOT the Missal) is what I use for my weekday prayers.  I love it as it is in the language that I learned in my youth.  I also like that it includes the Psalms and that they are set out for daily reading rather than in the Kathisma of the Greek and Slavonic based books.  I used the 1662 Book of Common Prayer as my daily prayer book until I found this one, and I was overjoyed when I received the Orthodox version.

Orthodox only because of God and His Russians.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 03:38:10 AM »

Finland.
ialmisry
Hypatos

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 08:15:57 AM »

Finland.
That would explain it.  The lowest church in Finland would seem quite high in the US.  Has to do with the frontier experience versus the effect of long term settled civilization in proximity, and its effect on religion (one of the reasons why the Anabaptists ended up here, and the "Evangelicals" in the tele-evangelist sense arose here).

When I was in Scandinavia, I had just left the Lutherans (raised in a low church but had attended by chance a higher church the last year in Lutheranism), and knew a lot of what I saw in the churches in Scandinavia would scandalize a lot of people back home as "being Catholic."
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 08:18:42 AM by ialmisry » Logged

Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 09:21:39 AM »

When I was in Scandinavia, I had just left the Lutherans (raised in a low church but had attended by chance a higher church the last year in Lutheranism), and knew a lot of what I saw in the churches in Scandinavia would scandalize a lot of people back home as "being Catholic."

When I participated in a regular RC sunday mass in Helsinki for the first I remember thinking something like "This feels even more Protestant than the Lutheran masses do." That was quite a disappointment since I was eager to see and hear Latin, chanting, smells and bells.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »

The Orthodox Missal is based on the Book of Common Prayer. However, the book that is being referred to, is here http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-Common-Prayer-Administration/dp/0977709353

I use this for pretty much everything. It was a Chrismation gift from my priest.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:53 AM »

When I participated in a regular RC sunday mass in Helsinki for the first I remember thinking something like "This feels even more Protestant than the Lutheran masses do." That was quite a disappointment since I was eager to see and hear Latin, chanting, smells and bells.

My one RC mass (in Romania) had much the same effect on me. I'd been brought up on my mother's anti-Catholicism only to find that the mass seemed almost exactly like a German Lutheran service or a middle of the road English Anglican one and certainly lower church than you'd find in an Anglo-Catholic parish up in Yorkshire. And to be honest the Church was plainer than than the Lutheran one in my mother's home town and the only thing that seemed to make it stand out as Catholic rather than Protestant was the stations of the cross.

James
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 09:51:38 AM by jmbejdl » Logged

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2013, 01:04:10 AM »

I wanted to update this thread.

Having seen in the flesh a copy of the "prayer book" that I first posted about in this thread, I found that I don't need a prayer book with a liturgy that isn't celebrated within an hour of my home taking up 1/2 the pages.

I've found this, and intend to purchase it soon.  It has beautiful western prayers, and is intended for "Orthodox Catholic Christians."  It's truly a prayerbook in the western style, as opposed to the other, which is one of those prayerbook/servicebooks.

http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose.html

biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2013, 04:35:11 AM »

Wow, that looks good. Smiley

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Sleeper
OC.net guru

On hiatus for the foreseeable future.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2013, 10:45:28 AM »

The St Ambrose Prayerbook is wonderful. It too has the liturgy not celebrated near you, plus another one Smiley I usually end up using both prayer books together. Enjoy!
Andrew21091
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:20:18 AM »

I wanted to update this thread.

Having seen in the flesh a copy of the "prayer book" that I first posted about in this thread, I found that I don't need a prayer book with a liturgy that isn't celebrated within an hour of my home taking up 1/2 the pages.

I've found this, and intend to purchase it soon.  It has beautiful western prayers, and is intended for "Orthodox Catholic Christians."  It's truly a prayerbook in the western style, as opposed to the other, which is one of those prayerbook/servicebooks.

http://www.andrewespress.com/ambrose.html

I have the Orthodox Book of Common Prayer as well as the St. Ambrose Prayer Book. I definitely prefer the St. Ambrose; mainly because its very similar to older Catholic prayer books. I think the morning and evening prayers are wonderful and it also has meditations on the Rosary and the Stations of the Cross. It also has devotions of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, which I know many on this forum aren't ok with, but I love them. The Litany to the Sacred Heart is beautiful. Its a wonderful prayer to say when depressed, for me at least. I highly recommend the St. Ambrose Prayer Book.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: