OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 22, 2014, 07:34:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How Jewish was Jesus?  (Read 3690 times) Average Rating: 0
FlickFlack
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« on: January 22, 2013, 01:39:02 PM »

Jesus lived, taught, and died as a Jew. He defined himself and his Jewishness in much the same way as today's Torah-observant Jews. He conducted himself as a devout rabbi and Pharisee. He wore a Jewish head covering, prayed in the Hebrew language, ate only kosher food, honored the Sabbath, had the mezuzah parchment on the doorposts of his home, lit a Chanukah menorah, wore the tzitzit-fringes, donned telfillin daily, wave an esrog and lulav on Sukkot, ate matzo on Passover, and studied the Torah regularly. He enjoyed the selfsame relationship with God shared by all Jews.

"Kosher Jesus," Shmuley Boteach pg. x (introduction)

How Jewish was Jesus?

Right here, right now.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

He enjoyed the selfsame relationship with God shared by all Jews.

What does that even mean? And what is this post?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:53:12 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:02:19 PM »

How could Shmuley possibly know most of that? Also, his series Shalom in the Home was one of the more offensive reality tv shows I've seen.

Large Marge sent me...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:05:42 PM »

How could Shmuley possibly know most of that? Also, his series Shalom in the Home was one of the more offensive reality tv shows I've seen.

Oh.
    My.
        G-D.
              Telling me you are not kidding. Please.

Shalom in the Home. 707i

YIM missed out on a franchise!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:05:59 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

I dunno.I am asking you how Jewish do u think Jesus was?

Right here, right now.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:13 PM »

Jesus lived, taught, and died as a Jew. He defined himself and his Jewishness in much the same way as today's Torah-observant Jews. He conducted himself as a devout rabbi and Pharisee. He wore a Jewish head covering, prayed in the Hebrew language, ate only kosher food, honored the Sabbath, had the mezuzah parchment on the doorposts of his home, lit a Chanukah menorah, wore the tzitzit-fringes, donned telfillin daily, wave an esrog and lulav on Sukkot, ate matzo on Passover, and studied the Torah regularly. He enjoyed the selfsame relationship with God shared by all Jews.

"Kosher Jesus," Shmuley Boteach pg. x (introduction)

How Jewish was Jesus?

This is nearly as funny as *'s post. A mezuzah!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 02:11:26 PM »

Depends on who you ask. The pharisees didn't like him because he broke their rules. The sadducees didn't like him because he was a trouble maker. The essenes wouldn't have liked him because he had the nerve to say that you could live in society and have sex and enjoy yourself and still be saved. Seems like lots of Jews wouldn't have thought him very Jewish/Judaistic according to their own ideas about what a "real Jew" should be. On the other hand, he was born a Jew, raised in a Jewish society, and said he came to preach to Israel. Seems fairly Jewish to me.

Large Marge sent me...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »

I dunno.I am asking you how Jewish do u think Jesus was?

Do you see what you are writing?

You ever hear of Nuremberg?

Who a Jew is and in virtue of what has basically been thought about by every great and small mind in Western history. I don't think you are going to get far here except into nonsense you can just google.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »

Shalom in the Home

I wonder if it's on netflix...  Cool  I ain't watching that again though...

Large Marge sent me...
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 02:17:13 PM »

Shalom in the Home

I wonder if it's on netflix...  Cool  I ain't watching that again though...

Oh that guy.

Oy gevalt!

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 02:37:33 PM »

He was very Jewish.

He taught in the temples, he attended Jewish services in the temples - he was circumcised, his mother was Jewish, Joseph was Jewish, the 12 apostles were Jewish, he kept the Sabbath, recognized the Sabbath, and only bumped head with the pharisees on the radicalness they imposed on the Sabbath.

He fulfilled Jewish prophecy.  He even stated "salvation comes from the Jews".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:56 PM »

Depends on who you ask. The pharisees didn't like him because he broke their rules. The sadducees didn't like him because he was a trouble maker. The essenes wouldn't have liked him because he had the nerve to say that you could live in society and have sex and enjoy yourself and still be saved. Seems like lots of Jews wouldn't have thought him very Jewish/Judaistic according to their own ideas about what a "real Jew" should be. On the other hand, he was born a Jew, raised in a Jewish society, and said he came to preach to Israel. Seems fairly Jewish to me.

So what was he than?

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 02:52:30 PM »

Was Jesus a Rabbi?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:58:28 PM by FlickFlack » Logged

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 02:56:52 PM »

He was very Jewish.

He taught in the temples, he attended Jewish services in the temples - he was circumcised, his mother was Jewish, Joseph was Jewish, the 12 apostles were Jewish, he kept the Sabbath, recognized the Sabbath, and only bumped head with the pharisees on the radicalness they imposed on the Sabbath.

He fulfilled Jewish prophecy.  He even stated "salvation comes from the Jews".

So what type of Jew would you say He was?Pharisee, Sadducee, Essene?From what school of thought did he came?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:05:03 PM by FlickFlack » Logged

Right here, right now.
orthonorm
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

He was very Jewish.

So what type of Jew would you say He was?Pharisee, Sadducee, Ebionite?From what school of thought did he came?

There is no way you won't love this.

Rob Bell - Covered in the Dust of Your Rabbi Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DswAPdgfRMs

Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 03:02:47 PM »

He was very Jewish.

So what type of Jew would you say He was?Pharisee, Sadducee, Ebionite?From what school of thought did he came?

You have to remember that the Pharisees, the Sadducees and all the others were political and religious parties. Not all jews belonged to one specific group.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 03:07:05 PM »

He was very Jewish.

You have to remember that the Pharisees, the Sadducees and all the others were political and religious parties. Not all jews belonged to one specific group.

How do you know this? And wouldn't that exclude them from partaking in the religious life of that time?

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 03:10:09 PM »

So how would you describe his Jewish belongness?

Right here, right now.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 03:12:21 PM »

To paraphrase many of my Jewish friends (say this in the stereotypical NY Jew accent with your arms out and palms up while shrugging): "He's a Jew!"

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 03:13:24 PM »

To paraphrase many of my Jewish friends (say this in the stereotypical NY Jew accent with your arms out and palms up while shrugging): "He's a Jew!"

How?

Right here, right now.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:18 PM »

How?

I really have no idea how to answer this anymore clearly.  You seem to want to put Jesus in some category like Pharisee or Saducee like thsoe were the only options.  Most Jews in his day were just "Jews," that is, people of the Covenant.  They tried their best (or worst) to follow the Law as they were taught it by various teachers and that was it. 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 03:15:51 PM »

He was very Jewish.

How do you know this? And wouldn't that exclude them from partaking in the religious life of that time?
You only have to read the bible. All the groups, whith whom Jesus argues, are described as parties, outside the general population.

Secondly, it only makes sense. There have never been a society, where the whole population were directly involved in religious or political organizations.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:49 PM »

How?

I really have no idea how to answer this anymore clearly.  You seem to want to put Jesus in some category like Pharisee or Saducee like thsoe were the only options.  Most Jews in his day were just "Jews," that is, people of the Covenant.  They tried their best (or worst) to follow the Law as they were taught it by various teachers and that was it. 

This, definately this.

-St Silouan the athonite
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 03:20:22 PM »

He was very Jewish.

You only have to read the bible. All the groups, whith whom Jesus argues, are described as parties, outside the general population.

Secondly, it only makes sense. There have never been a society, where the whole population were directly involved in religious or political organizations.

And?Some might also have nothing on the Mosaic religion.Some could have been pagans or atheists.In demography there is no totaliarism.

Right here, right now.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 03:25:45 PM »

He was very Jewish.

And?Some might also have nothing on the Mosaic religion.Some could have been pagans or atheists.In demography there is no totaliarism.

You asked me how I could know that Jesus was not part of any of the above mentioned groups and I gave you and answer. Why are you replying by stating what I have already said?
As Schultz said, most of the people were probably just jews. Nothing more, nothing less.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:31:50 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »

How?

I really have no idea how to answer this anymore clearly.  You seem to want to put Jesus in some category like Pharisee or Saducee like thsoe were the only options.  Most Jews in his day were just "Jews," that is, people of the Covenant.  They tried their best (or worst) to follow the Law as they were taught it by various teachers and that was it.  

I bet there were non-religious Jews on his days also, but I don't think you would say the same for Jesus.

Jews, people of the Covenant?How could they be people of the covenant and follow the Law by themselves?They could not follow the Law and the Covenant without bondange to religion, religious rituals, religious mediators, religious buildings that are all contained , interconnected and required in the Law and the Covenant.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 03:43:09 PM by FlickFlack » Logged

Right here, right now.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 03:41:24 PM »

I wish I were a Jew; they always have a lot of money. I bet I'd rack up thousands of dollars in gift money if I had a bar mitzvah.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 03:42:17 PM »

He was very Jewish.

You asked me how I could know that Jesus was not part of any of the above mentioned groups and I gave you and answer. Why are you replying by stating what I have already said?
As Schultz said, most of the people were probably just jews. Nothing more, nothing less.

Jesus was a religious Jew not an atheist Jew nor a pagan one, or do you disagree with this statement?

In the first century one could not have been a Jew of the covenant without bonding to the religious authorities of those times.You would need the Levitical/Aaronic priesthood to mediate and offer sacrifices to God and perform the religion of the Old Testament and sustain the worship of the Old Testament.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 03:43:53 PM »

restating : My question is what type of Jew Jesus was?

Right here, right now.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 03:46:03 PM »

God-beloved Jew

Large Marge sent me...
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 03:48:05 PM »

God-beloved Jew

not according to the word of some Jews and can you elaborate?

Right here, right now.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 03:50:06 PM »

In the first century one could not have been a Jew of the covenant without bonding to the religious authorities of those times.You would need the Levitical/Aaronic priesthood to mediate and offer sacrifices to God and perform the religion of the Old Testament and sustain the worship of the Old Testament.

Our Lord never offered sacrifice for himself (only Luke mentions a pair of turtledoves brought by his parents when he was circumcised). He taught in the Temple and in the synagogues. The only religious figure he spoke highly of was his cousin, John, whose baptism he received.  
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 03:53:05 PM »

Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was a God that loved Jews.

Large Marge sent me...
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2013, 03:59:24 PM »

He was very Jewish.

It is said he broke the sabbath, he did not show up on the Jewish holidays and others as such. How do we know he was a Jew?His circumcision and other Jewish rituals as such had nothing to do with his(human) will and has always interfere with the Jewish authorities of that time.His philosophy was beyond the narrow Jewish one and had incorporated the wide philosophy of all religions and a philosophy of liberty.We can't really know exactly what he said, the first gospel was written after at least 30 years after his death by Mark who was an indirect witness the scholars say.And the one who wrote in his Gospel that part was apparently not present at the conversation Jesus had when he said this , because all the apostles were gone when he spoke with the Samaritan woman.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2013, 04:00:24 PM »

Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was a God that loved Jews.

Or a non-Jew that God loved.

Right here, right now.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was is a God that loved Jews.

....fixed that for you.  Smiley

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother (which the Virgin Mary was) or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2013, 04:11:42 PM »

Jesus was a Jew that God loved. Jesus was a Jew that loved God. Jesus was is a God that loved Jews.

According to Jewish law, a child born to a Jewish mother (which the Virgin Mary was) or an adult who has converted to Judaism is considered a Jew; one does not have to reaffirm their Jewishness or practice any of the laws of the Torah to be Jewish.

Are you saying Jesus did not practice the laws of the Torah?

Yet he was a religious Jew.What type of religion did he had?Was he a Rabbi also?Doesn't a Rabbi need special appointing?How would he and his followers look like and how would they have worship?

Right here, right now.
choy
Archon

« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2013, 04:13:05 PM »

What is the scale of how Jewish someone is for us to say how Jewish they are?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2013, 04:14:33 PM »

Yet he was a religious Jew.What type of religion did he had?Was he a Rabbi also?Doesn't a Rabbi need special appointing?How would he and his followers look like and how would they have worship?

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »

It is said he broke the sabbath, he did not show up on the Jewish holidays and others as such.

He did not "break it" - the accusations that he performed miracles on that day or that he let his disciples pick grain from the fields and eat it were but petty accusations brought against him.  

He went up to Jerusalem for the Feast of Booths (Sukkoth) - cf. John 7, the Feast of the Dedication of the Temple (Hanukkah) - cf. John 10, and ate Pascha with his disciples before he was crucified.

And the one who wrote in his Gospel that part was apparently not present at the conversation Jesus had when he said this , because all the apostles were gone when he spoke with the Samaritan woman.

She could have told the story herself - she immediately dashed to tell it to all the people of her city, according to John 4, 28-29.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2013, 04:16:40 PM »

What is the scale of how Jewish someone is for us to say how Jewish they are?

The scale is nominal Judaism.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2013, 04:18:24 PM »

....fixed that for you.  Smiley

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

It matters enormously , at least from my pov and for me, to get a better picture on how the historical Jesus may have looked alike.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:18:45 PM by FlickFlack » Logged

Right here, right now.
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2013, 04:18:39 PM »

He was very Jewish.

Jesus was a religious Jew not an atheist Jew nor a pagan one, or do you disagree with this statement?

Nobody here has ever claimed that all jews at that time were observant. The term "Jew" can refer both to the adherents of the jewish religion as well as the jewish people, who are defined as those who are born of a jewish mother (at least as far as I know).

-St Silouan the athonite
Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2013, 04:23:11 PM »

....fixed that for you.  Smiley

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

It matters enormously , at least from my pov and for me, to get a better picture on how the historical Jesus may have looked alike.

Here is a recontructed image, made by scientists, of how an average man from that area, at the time of Christ could have looked like.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 04:23:55 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2013, 04:25:33 PM »

Why does it matter?  The degree of His Jewishness....has little to do with his ministry.  Don't look at what He was....look to what He taught.

What he taught seems to comprise more greek, buddhist, hindus philosophy than rabbinical judaism philosophy and OT dubiousness.

Right here, right now.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 3 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: