OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 01, 2014, 04:12:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cloning Neanderthal Man: spiritual ramifications  (Read 3993 times) Average Rating: 0
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2013, 03:48:32 PM »

Wait, then why is Nat. Geo. offering $200 genetic tests that tell you what percentage of your DNA is neanderthal?

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2013, 04:02:01 PM »

Wait, then why is Nat. Geo. offering $200 genetic tests that tell you what percentage of your DNA is neanderthal?

They do? If it is a curiosity of theirs, I shouldn't mind being given $200 to find out something I already know.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2013, 04:16:45 PM »

(highly unlikely, given that Neanderthals would have looked at least as (un)attractive to our ancestors as their reconstructed portraits look to us)

Some guys aren't choosy about who they mate with...  angel
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:16:58 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

"Change is the process of becoming more like who we are."
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2013, 04:21:45 PM »

Neanderthals seem to be simply a subset of Homo Sapiens. One definition of a "species" is the ability for two members of that species to breed and produce fertile offspring, who in turn will be able to create further fertile offspring. Given that the Neanderthals bred into Homo Sapiens on a very large scale, I think we can call Neanderthals just another kind of human.

This is completely wrong - genetic research proved that there was no interbreeding between Neanderthals and modern humans.
I think the newest research has questioned whether such interbreeding has occurred, not that it has completely disproven that such interbreeding did occur.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:21:58 PM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2013, 04:24:02 PM »

Some guys aren't choosy about who they mate with...  angel

The Neanderthals, at least, must have been.  Grin

I can already picture a Neanderthal lady beating the lights out of a male Sapiens cousin for making indecent proposals...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 04:40:17 PM by Romaios » Logged
Maximum Bob
Archon

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2013, 05:50:28 PM »

Some guys aren't choosy about who they mate with...  angel

The Neanderthals, at least, must have been.  Grin

I can already picture a Neanderthal lady beating the lights out of a male Sapiens cousin for making indecent proposals...
laugh

They do? If it is a curiosity of theirs, I shouldn't mind being given $200 to find out something I already know.
The link to get the test kit is below.
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=2001246&gsk&code=SR90002
In fairness they're testing for a lot more than that, human migration routes etc. but checking for the Neanderthal DNA is in mix. "•  Find out if you have Neanderthal or Denisovan ancestry."

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2013, 09:18:55 PM »

I get the feeling if they did clone one, which they could not completely without DNA from another species, they would not be as happy with the results as they think they would be.  It may destroy some of their accepted ideas.
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 08:34:27 AM »

Extinct human cousin gave Tibetans advantage at high elevation

"Several thousand years ago, the common ancestors of Han Chinese and Tibetans moved onto the Tibetan plateau, a low-oxygen environment that probably proved fatal to many because of early heart disease and high infant mortality. But a specific variant of a gene for hemoglobin regulation, picked up from earlier interbreeding with a mysterious human-like species, Denisovans, gradually spread through the Tibetan population, allowing them to live longer and healthier and avoid cardiovascular problems."

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2014, 11:33:34 AM »

If the Neanderthals returned, they probably would soon jump in our culture

"No John, I am not ashamed of what I am. I am beautiful just the way I am. That's how the cloning scientist intended!"

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2014, 11:40:23 AM »

And why not bring the whole gang back?

The get along gang, get along gang
Each one so special in his own way
Homo sapiens is the leader and he's such a good sport
The get along gang, get along gang

There's Flory and Ery with the spirit
And Habilis with pranks who doesn't ruin it
Smart Neander will figure it out
And last Pita, the lean machine

Get up!
With the get along gang
Come on!
Their adventures don't end
Get up!
With the get along ga-a-a-a-a-a-ang
Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!

Get up!
With the get along gang
Each one!
Has to move on his way
Get up!
With the get along ga-a-a-a-a-a-ang
Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh! Oh!

Get up!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 11:57:18 AM by Fabio Leite » Logged

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2014, 12:38:45 PM »

Seeing that picture reminds me that I have to go visit my in-laws this weekend.  Undecided

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Chrismated

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox

« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2014, 01:32:27 PM »

According to articles that I have read for the last two years, Neanderthals are us. Multiple DNA studies by many, have concluded that from 2% of 4% DNA in people of European Decent, is Neanderthal DNA. It can't be denied. If the line of Cain is Neanderthal, than we are all in the line of Cain. I look at the species that are normally regarded as primitive prehistoric human, or sub human, as the result of sin. Adam's line continued to Noah, then to Us. The human lineage was corrupted by sin, and thus, all the various so-called human ancestors that are being dug up occasionally. One of the reasons that Noah and his family were chosen for the Ark, was that their generations were pure. Obviously, there were then, generations of others that were not. Just a thought. I will enjoy reading the fallout from this.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

(N.B. Ebullient not educated)

« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2014, 02:09:56 PM »

Why is this in Faith Issues?

Anyway -- once the evolutionist propaganda is cleared away*, all fossils of "pre-man" can easily be categorized as truly either of man or of apes. Those that are of man do not show them to have been different from ourselves in any important way. "Neanderthal" was a man like you and me, and cloning him would be no different, "spiritually," from cloning you or me. Whoever Neanderthal was, he is Adam's son and Christ's lost one and our brother. Pray for me, men of the Neanderthal region and those who resembled you.

* A process that has taken care of itself, from decade to decade of Nature, in a most unintentionally humorous way.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2014, 02:16:24 PM »

On a more serious note, I believe that the inumerous trends we have in human history about "pure lineages", "pure race", "pure blood" are remnants of an age when we lived along those hominids.

At that time you did have these "others" that looked very human-like and were literally inferior, less human. Once they were gone, we kept the habit and misdirected it to humans slightly different from our own groups. Our respect for sexual purity and "don't marry outside our tribe" may well have originated from the will to avoid those mixtures and contacts as well.

Researches show also that there was interbreeding going on with every species of hominid we met along the way. At those times, again, that would cause a very real "destruction" of the human lineage and human leaders probably punished in a very severe way those who had sex or children with hominids. These children probably could be differentiated very easily, if not physically, at least in their behaviour and mental and spiritual skills.

I am inclined that much of the legends about "small people", "giants", furred monsters are the product of tens of thousands of stories built upon memories of these hominid creatures.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:21:44 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2014, 02:20:24 PM »

So what happens after this Neanderthal is born?  Does (s)he live in a normal family and integrate into our society?
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »

On a more serious note, I believe that the inumerous trends we have in human history about "pure lineages", "pure race", "pure blood" are remnants of an age when we lived along those hominids.

At that time you did have these "others" that looked very human-like and were literally inferior, less human. Once they were gone, we kept the habit and misdirected it to humans slightly different from our own groups.

Researches show also that there was interbreeding going on with every species of hominid we met along the way. At those times, again, that would cause a very real "destruction" of the human lineage and human leaders probably punished in a very severe way those who had sex or children with hominids. These children probably could be differentiated very easily, if not physically, at least in their behaviour and mental and spiritual skills.

I am inclined that much of the legends about "small people", "giants", furred monsters are the product of tens of thousands of stories built upon memories of these hominid creatures.

Gosh, this is abominable. Glory be to God that he never truly delivered us to the horrors the science-fans invent for our past. In truth, every creature of his was made lovely and has always had its appropriate place of glory to him and awe for man.

Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity. --Climacus
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2014, 02:40:26 PM »

Glory be to God that he never truly delivered us to the horrors the science-fans invent...

In truth, every creature of his was made lovely and has always had its appropriate place of glory to him and awe for man.

"Oh, he really loves us!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 02:42:08 PM by Fabio Leite » Logged

The Fool

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2014, 03:35:51 PM »

I have a strong suspicion that stories about fairies among my people (the Irish) originated with vague memories of the pre-Celtic inhabitants of the British Isles.

"When I hear the words 'Interfaith Dialogue', I reach for my revolver."
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #63 on: July 03, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »

Now those are comical creatures and beautiful once we perceive their function and their context. Aristotle had something to say to the young nobles of his school who revolted from studying baser creatures -- that if they lack beauty it is due to the ugly laziness of the researcher -- I don't have an exact quote before me.

... pictures of parasites ...

Parasites and infections and derangement are the result of the Curse. If your science-fandom interferes with an orthodox understanding of evil -- well, perhaps it is a sign which you should heed?

TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #64 on: July 03, 2014, 09:12:02 PM »

Now those are comical creatures and beautiful once we perceive their function and their context. Aristotle had something to say to the young nobles of his school who revolted from studying baser creatures -- that if they lack beauty it is due to the ugly laziness of the researcher -- I don't have an exact quote before me.

I could easily defeat this argument by posting a picture of myself in the "What does everyone look like" thread. Then you would have to agree that indeed there are some revolting creatures out there.  Grin

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
Porter ODoran
Erst Amish Appalachian
OC.net guru

« Reply #65 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »

You're beautiful to me.

Tags: cloning  cain 
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: