OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 30, 2014, 12:55:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budgets of Orthodox Jurisdictions  (Read 1591 times) Average Rating: 0
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« on: January 22, 2013, 11:18:56 AM »

Anyone know what the budgets of the various Orthodox jurisdictions are? Also, how large a budget is there typically at the diocese level as compared to the archdiocese level?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:30:02 PM »

Anyone know what the budgets of the various Orthodox jurisdictions are? Also, how large a budget is there typically at the diocese level as compared to the archdiocese level?

I thought these were some of the mysteries hidden with Christ in God.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 02:16:00 PM »

Hidden with Christ in God... or hidden behind stacks of papers on the Metropolitan's desk?  angel

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:45:37 PM »

The church should not have a budget if it actually gave 100% of its tithes to the widows and orphans - EXACTLY - how it was written in the scriptures and practiced by the early Christians.

The early Christians practiced in tombs and later homes.  They did not need a budget.

No $$$$$ watches on those bishops (or photo shopped out ones) http://rt.com/news/patriarch-watch-photo-scandal-326/
I could only assume the ROC have a budget where their top guy has a $40,000 or so watch.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 03:16:01 PM »

The church should not have a budget if it actually gave 100% of its tithes to the widows and orphans - EXACTLY - how it was written in the scriptures and practiced by the early Christians.

The early Christians practiced in tombs and later homes.  They did not need a budget.

No $$$$$ watches on those bishops (or photo shopped out ones) http://rt.com/news/patriarch-watch-photo-scandal-326/
I could only assume the ROC have a budget where their top guy has a $40,000 or so watch.

Even if the Church did exactly as you say, you still need a budget, so that you know and can track where they money is going, and the amounts that are being given to specific people and places, and the ensure that you can fund all the donations, as compared to bouncing a cheque or something to that end.
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 08:21:33 PM »

Might be good for 1st-4th century Christians; not practical in this day when you need money to operate, unless one wants to set a community out by the countryside and live like the Amish. If the church/parish is in a highly urbanized place, definitely it needs a budget for its expenses.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 09:02:48 PM »

So you were there? Fascinating.

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:17 PM »

Then who was getting the support that St. Paul refused, when he made a big deal of being self-supporting?

You know that they only did this because they were liable to be arrested and imprisoned? As soon as they could, and very early on, they had dedicated and beautiful places for gathering for worship.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
choy
Archon

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 06:24:07 PM »

Then who was getting the support that St. Paul refused, when he made a big deal of being self-supporting?

You know that they only did this because they were liable to be arrested and imprisoned? As soon as they could, and very early on, they had dedicated and beautiful places for gathering for worship.

But even then, most of the churches were supported by government funds anyway.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 06:26:05 PM »

Really?

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
choy
Archon

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 06:29:42 PM »

Really?

Talking about the time of the Holy Roman Empire.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 07:06:10 PM »

Please, even the 12 before Pentecost had a treasurer (Judas). 
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »

Might be good for 1st-4th century Christians; not practical in this day when you need money to operate, unless one wants to set a community out by the countryside and live like the Amish. If the church/parish is in a highly urbanized place, definitely it needs a budget for its expenses.

^^^ Very interesting...

The Amish keep the practice because they only give their tithes to widows & orphans too.... I'm not dissing the EO either, as I know they have charity, however, the Amish are a good example of following the scripture on this.

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 11:13:54 PM »

God bless you.  The Judas (betrayer) was the budget man who helped himself... It proves a very incredible point to my post.  $40k watch...

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 11:25:15 PM »

Look, this will start a hailstorm of issues.  But formulates what I have posted in other threads.

Mostly the "beautiful" large churches were built post Constantine (who I believe is not saintly compared to other saints).  After "legalization" much exploitation of money occurred in church funds.

Mostly 1st and 2nd Century Christians did meet in homes/tombs, did contribute tithes to helping widows and orphans.

I have no problem saying that the gold laden churches exploited money.

Orthodoxy is very vexing in this.  I've seen dedicated Orthodox hermits who lived in caves who just wanted to be simple and pray for their lives... I've seen simple churches set up (arguably much more beautiful this way).  I've also seen churches that were so wealthy, gold plating on iconostasis and solid gold crosses were used.

I do not believe that all EO churches exploit their money, however, unfortunately, I do believe most of you would not argue that in tradition of the early Christians, the church has exploited some.

There is a wonderful OCA convent in Kemp, TX...  Modest.  I think the nuns there are very kind and nice.  They live a simple life.  Though yes they have a building and a church (which I don't think is wrong btw), I do not think it goes too far.  It's just modest.  Nothing wrong with it.  No gold everything....  They run a large garden to keep costs down.

What confuses me most of all, is that the EO praises the monastics so much.... -> Then live like them more.

Church budget is one of those things that has smacked me around a lot on the EO church... Sorry if I went off topic on this some... Every time I think I'm sealing the deal and will walk away from EO for sure, I go back to the monasteries...  Mostly Humble. Simple. Budgeted.  Not exploitive. 

yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 11:26:31 PM »

I wish I was Smiley
Unfortunately, I just read what they wrote, so I take their word for it.

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2013, 11:52:11 AM »

Mostly the "beautiful" large churches were built post Constantine (who I believe is not saintly compared to other saints).  After "legalization" much exploitation of money occurred in church funds.

Mostly 1st and 2nd Century Christians did meet in homes/tombs, did contribute tithes to helping widows and orphans.

You need to review your history - you have it kind of skewed a bit. The only reason that early Christians met in homes and tombs was because Christianity was illegal and they were subject to arrest, imprisonment, torture and death.  Not because homes and tombs were inherently better or more holy than a building dedicated to the purpose of Christian worship.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2013, 12:30:06 PM »

God bless you.  The Judas (betrayer) was the budget man who helped himself... It proves a very incredible point to my post.  $40k watch...
Actually, it doesn't. That would be like saying that a mother baked a pie and told her son to watch over the it. The boy then eats the pie himself and for that reason, the mother made a mistake by baking the pie.
That Judas betrayed Christ, doesn't change the fact that he was trusted with the task of watching over the money.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2013, 12:34:38 PM »

The church should not have a budget if it actually gave 100% of its tithes to the widows and orphans
You might want to re-read Paul's letters. I would also mention that Paul's journeys were not funded by cash falling out of the sky.

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
Father H
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2013, 04:19:29 PM »

It does not prove your point.  The Lord was the one who created the position.  Because people abuse an office does not mean that it should be suppressed.  The only thing it proves is that you should not put a thief near money unless the salvation of the world depends on it.   
Milliardo
Saviour Gundam Pilot

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Saviour Gundam Pilot

Milliardo
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2013, 07:19:59 PM »

^^^ Very interesting...

The Amish keep the practice because they only give their tithes to widows & orphans too.... I'm not dissing the EO either, as I know they have charity, however, the Amish are a good example of following the scripture on this.

I wouldn't know if they are a good example on this; like what I said, unless you think that parishes/churches should all be in the countryside, you will need a budget to run them. And as most here pointed out, even Jesus had His treasurer. So it seems that money is needed to run things. It is not greed. It is simply the reality we live in.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2013, 12:27:41 AM »

It does not prove your point.  The Lord was the one who created the position.  Because people abuse an office does not mean that it should be suppressed.  The only thing it proves is that you should not put a thief near money unless the salvation of the world depends on it.   

which it did in this case? Or did you not desire a deeper meaning here, Father?

Father H
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2013, 03:26:25 AM »

which it did in this case? Or did you not desire a deeper meaning here, Father?

I did desire a deeper meaning, which is why what I said cannot be an affirmation of "the church should not need a budget."  He that is slothful in his work is brother to him that is a great waster.  A $40k watch is not good, but this does not negate the office that is being neglected (the one that is to be a check on the great waster). 

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »

ISTM that one of the purposes of a church budget is to make sure that we are being good stewards of the tithes of the Faithful.

St. John Chrysostom
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2013, 04:02:10 PM »

ISTM that one of the purposes of a church budget is to make sure that we are being good stewards of the tithes of the Faithful.

I agree and would add that good bookkeeping and audits would complete the picture.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Father H
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2013, 09:36:19 PM »

Correct.  The parable of the talents has proper stewardship, accounting and accountability in it. 
Father H
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2013, 09:39:53 PM »

I agree and would add that good bookkeeping and audits would complete the picture.

agreed.  Too often in "churchy" settings people get offended that they are being "checked."  This is terrible.  I think it is much worse in smaller parishes than in bigger parishes, but can happen anywhere.  The point is that we have to stop it from happening and for people to be accountable for what they have done.  Anyone not willing to do this and acting offended and threatening to quit, even small parishes cannot be "held hostage" by such nonsense.   
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2013, 04:24:20 AM »

I wish I was Smiley
Unfortunately, I just read what they wrote, so I take their word for it.
evidently not.

I don't think the Apostles would waste a lot of verses going over the accounting books of the early Church.  We do know, however, that substantial wealth was placed in the hands of the Church.  For one thing, the Church had to buy the property for the catacombs, and it didn't come cheap.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2013, 04:25:51 AM »

The church should not have a budget if it actually gave 100% of its tithes to the widows and orphans
You might want to re-read Paul's letters. I would also mention that Paul's journeys were not funded by cash falling out of the sky.
Didn't the Roman Emperor pay for it?

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Gunnarr
OC.net guru

« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2013, 05:51:07 PM »

Didn't the Roman Emperor pay for it?

I heard on the Naked Archaeologist that there is a theory that the Apostle Paul was actually a spy of the Roman Empire to fake his conversion in order to pacify the christian religion. Very credible source, because the Patriarch of Jerusalem let him inside to see many relics of saints so he is obviously trusted! despite the archaeologist being a jew ! ;P

I am a demonic servant! Beware!
TheTrisagion
Armed Feline rider of Flaming Unicorns
Merarches

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »

Didn't Christ rebuke Judas when Judas advocated that the perfume used to anoint Christ's feet be sold and the money given to the poor?  Money can be used to buy items that we use as tools for adoration of God.  Spending money to beautify churches is not ill-spent so long as we are not neglecting the poor while doing so.

Have you considered the possibility that your face is an ad hominem?
Somebody just went all Jack Chick up in here.
primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2013, 02:17:23 PM »

the Naked Archaeologist
I used to watch his show, but slowly and surely the programming became overly critical of Christianity. To the point, IMHO of not being unbiased, but creating an anti-christian narrative and then finding ways to "prove" it.

Apostle Paul was actually a spy of the Roman Empire to fake his conversion in order to pacify the christian religion.
See, I've heard that he was a delator then converted afterwards.

Very credible source, because the Patriarch of Jerusalem let him inside to see many relics of saints so he is obviously trusted! despite the archaeologist being a jew
Well, lets be honest here for a second....Simcha Jacobovici is not a trained archaeologist IIRC. He has a philosophy degree and a degree in PolySci, and was a journalist.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
scamandrius
Crusher of Secrets; House Lannister
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Greek Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: I'm Greek and proud of it, damn it!

« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2013, 04:11:25 PM »

You're still hung up on that $40,000 watch?  Are you just jealous because no one has given you such a watch?  Covet much?  Besides, I doubt that was in the budget for the MP; it was most likely a gift to His Beatitude.  Many Orthodox hierarchs are given gifts such as these by the faithful.  Whether they should keep them or not is not for you nor me to decide.

I seek the truth by which no man was ever harmed--Marcus Aurelius

Those who do not read  history are doomed to get their facts from Hollywood--Anonymous

What earthly joy remains untouched by grief?--St. John Damascene
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: