Author Topic: Calling all Hadji's: I'd like to visit the Holy Land.  (Read 270 times)

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
Calling all Hadji's: I'd like to visit the Holy Land.
« on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:40 AM »
Hey y'all,

For those of you who have been, where do I start, as far as travel companies and so on?  Should I do a tour or just wing it?  Obviously, I want to see as much as I can that pertains to Christianity. 

BTW, Hadji is Arabic for pilgrim and was used by Christians before the Mohammadans "borrowed" it.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline vorgos

• Elder
Re: Calling all Hadji's: I'd like to visit the Holy Land.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 04:06:01 AM »
Hey y'all,

For those of you who have been, where do I start, as far as travel companies and so on?  Should I do a tour or just wing it?  Obviously, I want to see as much as I can that pertains to Christianity. 

BTW, Hadji is Arabic for pilgrim and was used by Christians before the Mohammadans "borrowed" it.

I had the misfortune of going in a group that wanted to do as much as possible. The result for me was that it was unpleasant. We would arrive at a monastery, for example, and soon as we'd venerate the icons we'd be back in the bus for the next item in the itinerary. So my wish would be that in the future, God willing and funds permitting, I'll do it by myself and take my time.

Having said that, with out a travel company you will need to do A LOT of research and it is likely to cost you much more. Travel companies most likely get discounts on hotels etc. Depending where you go there are things you need to be very careful of, such as crossing borders etc.

Bit of advice, don't leave a beard. ;D When our tour bus was stopped at an Israeli security check point, me and another fellow, were the only ones that were scrutinised and asked for passports because we were the only ones young enough with beards!

Best of luck and either way I hope you have a good time.

HadjiOrgos :)

PS: Best location for me was Mt Sinai. Climbing to the top before sunrise and waiting for the sunrise. Mt Nebo was great too. Jerusalem was too chaotic for me... :(

Offline vorgos

• Elder
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 04:47:58 AM »
BTW, I don't know if it was because the trip was physically demanding, but the bananas and peanuts I ate on two separate occasions where the most delicious ever, and I've eaten my fair share of both over the years :)

Maybe there is something more to the "Land of milk and honey" found in the OT...

Offline biro

• Excelsior
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
  • Leave me alone, I was only singing
    • Alaska Volcanoes
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 02:08:39 PM »
I'd love to go someday, too. Just need a passport and a bunch of $. ;)
He will come again with glory to judge the living and the dead. His kingdom will have no end.

--

And if I seem a little strange, well, that's because I am

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Partisan Pro-Chalcedonian Fanatic
  • Protokentarchos
  • St. John the Merciful
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 02:49:45 PM »
That is unfortunate. Syria is in a 'civil war', so there isn't much to do there unless you want to be a martyr as well as a pilgrim. Anyway, there are ancient Orthodox Churches in Jerusalem (as we all know), Mt. Tabor, Bethlehem, the Jordan River, Mt. Sinai would be interesting, and of course the Jerusalem area of Israel. I followed a travel blog that went to the Mount of Sinai, and would you believe it? It's very rare that pilgrims go there, though I heard it's a long hike up the mountain or something or other.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 03:05:38 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
Not everything I type or have typed in the past is reflective of the teaching of the Orthodox Church, or may not reflect my contemporary views on a subject. (4/6/2015)

Glory to Jesus Christ!

قدوس لله قدوس القوي قدوس الذي لا يموت ارحمنا

Offline Alpo

• Taxiarches
  • My borcht recipe is better than your borcht recipe
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to internets.
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 02:53:50 PM »
Does the Church of Jerusalem offer any advice or information for pilgrims? I

Offline vorgos

• Elder
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 03:49:34 PM »
That is unfortunate. Syria is in a 'civil war', so there isn't much to do there unless you want to be a martyr as well as a pilgrim. Anyway, there are ancient Orthodox Churches in Jerusalem (as we all know), Mt. Tabor, Bethlehem, the Jordan River, Mt. Sinai would be interesting, and of course the Jerusalem area of Israel. I followed a travel blog that went to the Mount of Sinai, and would you believe it? It's very rare that pilgrims go there, though I heard it's a long hike up the mountain or something or other.

Mt Sinai didn't seem that way when I was there August last year. As for the climb, it easy for the most part, just gravel. It's at the last part near the top where you need to climb up large stones and the like. You can even hire a camel if you cannot walk it. That is what a few old ladies did from our tour group.

You can find a lot of clips and photos online to get an idea of what to expect. Here a few stills from video I took with my mobile...

http://imgur.com/6MGP249

http://imgur.com/hrgc3DW

http://imgur.com/I43ENxA