OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:58:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Saints  (Read 358 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« on: January 21, 2013, 08:19:29 AM »

A question was raised which got me to thinking.  If this has been discussed previously I apologize, but understanding how the Catholic and Orthodox Churches are no longer in communion with one another, are saints from each recognized by the other?
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 08:47:17 AM »

It is my understanding that pre-Schism saints are venerated by both Churches. Of course, local custom can be a big factor in how widespread a saint's cultus is. Many local saints have little following in other areas, but they are still part of the liturgical calendar.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:04:33 AM »

There are some exceptions in pre-schism saints for mutual veneration. They venerate Pope Nicholas I, we venerate St. Photios the Great (although some Eastern Catholics venerate him, too).

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
OrthoNoob
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 06:48:50 PM »

There are some exceptions in pre-schism saints for mutual veneration. They venerate Pope Nicholas I, we venerate St. Photios the Great (although some Eastern Catholics venerate him, too).

I imagine it's the date of canonization, not the date of death, that makes the difference between a "pre-schism" and a "post-schism" saint.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 06:52:40 PM »

Only pre-schism Saints are. However, post-schism Saints aren't--at least not by the Orthodox. With the liberal trend in Roman Catholicism, I'm not so sure what their view is on our post-schism Saints.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:16:08 PM »

I imagine it's the date of canonization, not the date of death, that makes the difference between a "pre-schism" and a "post-schism" saint.

Well, in the above-mentioned case, Pope Nicholas 1 was, IIRC, venerated right after his death. But he was the nemesis of St. Photios, so he doesn't get on the list.

Date of canonization is tricky. In the East, the first saint to be formally canonized with a service was St. Gregory Palamas, so I read somewhere. Before that in east and west, the process was much less formal. So, on the Orthodox principal of public veneration, there are pre-schism Western saints we could accept (if we ignored those who bicker) who were not formally canonized until after the schism, or not formally canonized at all. But I think, for purposes of order, a local holy synod should make a ruling formally.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Nephi
Monster Tamer
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Non-Chalcedonian Byzantine
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 09:50:49 PM »

Only pre-schism Saints are. However, post-schism Saints aren't--at least not by the Orthodox. With the liberal trend in Roman Catholicism, I'm not so sure what their view is on our post-schism Saints.
Even outside of the "liberal trend," some Roman Catholics (e.g. Pope John Paul II) view at least some of our post-schism saints as saints (e.g. St. Seraphim of Sarov).

That said, there is a fairly common cross-veneration of post-schism saints even on the Orthodox side. It's not entirely uncommon to find private veneration of St. Francis of Assissi and others among Orthodox.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »

Don't eastern Catholics venerate a fair number of post-schism eastern saints?

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: