OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 05:33:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Could Pick a Different Saint  (Read 1369 times) Average Rating: 0
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« on: January 20, 2013, 11:13:38 PM »

If you could pick a different saint to be your patron, who would it be?

Mine, would be St. Barnabas (in case you couldn't tell, I'm a little nuts over his interpretation of Mosaic law)

Feel free to choose more than one...

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »

I honestly am happy with my Patron Saint.  The good news is, they are all my Saints.  Woo-hoo!
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:36:19 AM »

I wouldn't because I already got to pick my patron Saint. The more and more I struggle in my faith, the more I realize how similar me and St. Augustine are and how I hope to come out of it like he did.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:04 AM »

St. Gregory the Theologian (rather than St. Justin Popovich, not that I don't like having St. Justin as my patron)...

pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 01:22:01 AM »

I wouldn't because I already got to pick my patron Saint. The more and more I struggle in my faith, the more I realize how similar me and St. Augustine are and how I hope to come out of it like he did.
Even though I don't venerate Augustine, I can definitely see him being your patron, you two do have a lot in common, as far as the events in your life so far from what I can tell... Smiley
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:24:49 AM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 01:45:34 AM »

I love St. Tikhon, and his life certainly inspires me to have strong faith among difficult circumstances.  I would, however, choose a saint with a name more common in the English language. 

I haven't given much thought into this, but perhaps St. Andrew, who brought Christianity to my Slavic ancestors.  Or St. Michael (Michael is my middle name.)

I love St. Tikhon, though.  I've gotten used to the name.  Everyone at school seems to think that I'm from Russia, anyway, so it's cool.  I feel like a bit of a hipster with it, though.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
OrthoNoob
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:58:51 AM »

My patron is Samuel the Prophet. I was born with him, I kept him (for a couple of reasons), and I expect I'll die with him.

But if I had to choose another...

I'd pick either a royal saint (I like Constantine, Vladimir, and Nicholas) or St. Patrick of Ireland.

http://avengingredhand.wordpress.com -- My blog

'These words I, Leo, have set down for love and as a safeguard of the Orthodox Faith'
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 03:06:57 AM »

I am very happy with my chosen patron saint, Saint Xenia of St. Petersburg.
Andrew Crook
formerly known as AveChriste11
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 03:17:30 AM »

if I could have picked a different saint it would have been St. Irenaeus because I was extremely confused by New Age, Baha'i and Neo-Gnostic ideas before I ever found out about Orthodoxy.  My priest just insisted on NOT calling me Irenaeus though because it's a foreign sounding name and then it's really obvious I would have been a "convert"

Whosoever will be saved, before all things it is necessary that he hold the catholic faith; Which faith except every one do keep whole and undefiled, without doubt he shall perish everlastingly. And the catholic faith is this: That we worship one God in Trinity, and Trinity in Unity
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 06:21:35 AM »

An absurd question. There's nothing wrong with my name.
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 11:41:54 AM »

An absurd question. There's nothing wrong with my name.
I'm just saying if you wanted to...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 11:44:58 AM by pmpn8rGPT » Logged

Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 12:15:32 PM »

St. Gregory of Nyssa.

On a OC.net diet.

"Chi son?  Sono un poeta. Che cosa faccio? Scrivo. E come vivo?  Vivo."
-Giacomo Puccini
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »

if I could have picked a different saint it would have been St. Irenaeus because I was extremely confused by New Age, Baha'i and Neo-Gnostic ideas before I ever found out about Orthodoxy.  My priest just insisted on NOT calling me Irenaeus though because it's a foreign sounding name and then it's really obvious I would have been a "convert"
Interesting that you say that, my parents wanted to give me that one but my godparents insisted on not giving me that one, and thus, I have St. Luke...

choy
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 01:20:23 PM »

I was taught in the RC that our patron saint was whoever had their feast day on your birthday.  So I didn't know that you can pick someone different.  Will I be asked to choose one when I am chrismated?  I already have St. John Maximovitch in mind.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 01:43:25 PM »

There are various options, though which ones are available will depend on the priest/bishop and your situation in particular. To give four examples from my own past of how things can work out: I (Justin) took the name of Justin Popovich as my patron saint, though at the time he was only approved for "local veneration" by the Serbian Church, and wouldn't be officially glorified until 10 years later; my wife (Cecilia) chose the name Mary of Egypt, and the priest allowed it, even though she already had a Christian name, because of special circumstances; my daughter Athanasia was given a Christian saint's name at birth, and so also has St. Athanasia as her patron; my daughter Sahara didn't have a Christian name, so in conversation with our priest it was decided that she would have a St. Stephanie as her patron. So, when receiving communion, the priest says Justin, Mary-Cecilia, Athanasia, and Stephanie.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:45:24 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »

I was taught in the RC that our patron saint was whoever had their feast day on your birthday.  So I didn't know that you can pick someone different.  Will I be asked to choose one when I am chrismated?  I already have St. John Maximovitch in mind.
My patron (St. Luke) is October 18/October 31, I was born in July...

Lord Have Mercy

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:03 PM »

My birthday is February 18th, are there any Saints on that day?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:29 PM »

St. Theodosius of Chernigov

http://www.stjohndc.org/Russian/saints/SaintsE/e_0002c.htm
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 05:51:55 PM »

St. Leo the Great, Pope of Rome
Saint Flavian the Confessor, Patriarch of Constantinople
Saint Agapitus the Confessor and Wonder-worker
Martyrs Victor, Dorotheus, Theodulus, and Agrippa
Saint Cosmas, monk of Yakhromsk
New-Martyr Priest Alexander Medvedsky and Hieromonk Benjamin
Martyrs Leo and Parigorius of Patara in Lycia
Martyr Publius
Saint Nicholas the Katholikos of Georgia
Saint Theodore (Komogovin) of Serbia
Venerable Colman, Bishop of Lindisfarne

-- Source

Quinault
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

Interestingly (though not purposefully) our eldest daughter's namesday is on my birthday. And my husband's namesday is 1 day before our eldest daughter's birthday.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 04:59:43 AM »

I picked my patron saint so nobody - but of course I was an adult convert. I actually think I have several patrons even if only the one is formally so and I've been told that this is fine, that effectively those saints we become particularly attached to become patrons as well, so I don't think it's ever necessary to think about who you might have instead of the one you have already.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
TheMathematician
Banished and Disgraced
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Serbian

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »

I still would have picked, in keeping with the name(sort of) that i was given, St. John Chrysostom, but I have a particular fondness for St. Sava of Serbia.
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 01:24:19 PM »

My name is Jonathon by birth and I have always had a love for Jonathan of the OT. At baptism I took the name of the Saint who's liturgy I first prayed, St. Germanus (Germain) Bishop of Paris.

St. Herman of Alaska has been like a guiding spiritual father to me for the last two years. It is like he adopted me, while St. Germain has been more of one who continually prays for me. I can feel them both when I pray.

Ironically, their names are synonymous. Germain, Herman, Germanos, Iermanos, German... Funny because I am English/Irish!

I haven't the slightest as to why the Lord has given me these two great men to be such close brothers to me, but I love them and see many connections in my life where they are at work. God loves us dearly to give us such glorious saints to be our friends.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:25:45 PM by simplygermain » Logged

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2013, 04:52:46 PM »

St. Herman of Alaska has been like a guiding spiritual father to me for the last two years. It is like he adopted me, while St. Germain has been more of one who continually prays for me. I can feel them both when I pray.

Ironically, their names are synonymous. Germain, Herman, Germanos, Iermanos, German... Funny because I am English/Irish!

These are the same names...

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »

The first one that appeared to me was St Patrick and then Archangel Michael.
But i have grown fond and touched by St Seraphim of Sarov.

How much of a hopeless case am I?

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2013, 05:49:59 PM »

I have always felt the protection of my patron saint, St. Basil, "Archbishop of Cesarea at Capadocia and Great Hierarch," and I am also attached to the "patron and protector" of my beloved parish, "the Holy Chief Apostle Paul, Apostle to the Nations."  I have also felt his intervention in the affairs of my parish, especially when I asked for his intercession for various needs of our parish.  I recall one of our former parish priests advising me at times when something of some risk was undertaken, "St. Paul will take care of us."
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:51:02 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2013, 06:55:49 PM »

uh. Yes. Synonymous.

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2013, 07:07:23 PM »

uh. Yes. Synonymous.

Same, not synonymous. How names can be synonymous?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
pmpn8rGPT
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2013, 07:10:10 PM »

uh. Yes. Synonymous.

It is possible in some ancient pictograph alphabets. 

Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2013, 09:20:13 PM »

-Changing my answer-

I wasn't aware that saints' names and patronage is given by the child's date of birth.  Looking at the saints on my birthday, and considering that my grandfather was from the Austro-Hungarian Empire, I would've chosen St. Moses the Hungarian.
http://orthodoxwiki.org/July_26

I believe that I have several patron saints, which have all been close to me since I read about them.  St. Silouan, St. Petka of Iasi, St. Tikhon of Moscow, and St. Moses the Hungarian.  They have all been very close to me, and wonderful intercessors before Christ with my prayers. 

I love St. Tikhon, though.  He is the one who brought my parish from Eastern Catholicism into Orthodoxy.  He set foot in my town one hundred years ago, and my great grandfather (a Polish mill worker) actually went to see him when he came.  He is very close to me.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2013, 09:32:03 PM »

uh. Yes. Synonymous.

What?

Synonyms - different words that describe same or very similar thing, like car - vehicle.

To the OP: this  thread is stupid.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:13 PM »

I've already decided that if in the rare case my mother ever converts to Orthodoxy, her matron is going to be St. Monica to match me. I can definitely see her being St. Monica enduring hardship from my father in the past.

simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2013, 11:25:37 PM »

uh. Yes. Synonymous.

What?

Synonyms - different words that describe same or very similar thing, like car - vehicle.

To the OP: this  thread is stupid.
synonym: A word having the same or nearly the same meaning as another word.
This is the definition I am using for how I used the word. I didn't realize I was going to meet the Grammar Gestapo today.

You know what Mike, that is a really inhospitable thing to do. Didn't your mother teach you any manners?
Do you only correct people on internet forums, rather than in person where they can tell you how uncharitable it is to your face?

Actions like that can chase off people who would rather benefit from visiting this forum.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:28:24 PM by simplygermain » Logged

Nephi
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2013, 12:08:41 AM »

I love St. Tikhon, though.  He is the one who brought my parish from Eastern Catholicism into Orthodoxy.  He set foot in my town one hundred years ago, and my great grandfather (a Polish mill worker) actually went to see him when he came.  He is very close to me.
That's a pretty neat relationship. Smiley

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2013, 01:06:07 AM »

We all need someone praying for us, and to become a Saint is no easy task. Be thankful for who is praying for you, because they do it out of love for you and your salvation. I don't think we should say, if we could pick a different Saint, but instead if we could pick a different attitude for our Saint.

I thought about who my Saint would be for a long time and I'm happy to have St. John of the Ladder praying for me. I need his prayers to help me to keep climbing and his strength if I start to slip, to hang on.

However God willing, if and when I become a monk my name will be changed again. I don't know who'll it'll be and I won't get to pick it. But I have faith in the Lord that whoever the Abbot picks for me will be through the Grace of God. It's a sign of great obedience to accept and love the name given to you. And if God wills it and if I live long enough, maybe He will let me enter the Grate Schema and my name would be changed again, giving me more chances to humble myself.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 01:07:41 AM by Peacemaker » Logged

This user is no longer active.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: