Author Topic: Famous Orthodox Christian Apostates  (Read 11718 times)

Offline Iconodule

• Professor of Cryptopatristics at Miskatonic University
  • Merarches
  • Monsters from the Id
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
Re: Famous Orthodox Christian Apostates
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 01:41:23 PM »
Tesla.

Proof?

"For ages this idea [that each of us is only part of a whole] has been proclaimed in the consummately wise teachings of religion, probably not alone as a means of insuring peace and harmony among men, but as a deeply founded truth. The Buddhist expresses it in one way, the Christian in another, but both say the same: We are all one."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikola_Tesla#Religious_views
That's hardly the statement of an apostate. "We are all one" is true in various, perhaps metaphorical, ways: we all have the image and likeness of God within us, we are all made bodily of the same types of atoms, we all share a common destiny (how we respond to that destiny is another issue), etc.

This nonsense, on the other hand, is certainly anti-Christian:

"There is no conflict between the ideal of religion and the ideal of science, but science is opposed to theological dogmas because science is founded on fact. To me, the universe is simply a great machine which never came into being and never will end. The human being is no exception to the natural order. Man, like the universe, is a machine. Nothing enters our minds or determines our actions which is not directly or indirectly a response to stimuli beating upon our sense organs from without."
But it had not been in Tess's power - nor is it in anybody's power - to feel the whole truth of golden opinions while it is possible to profit by them. She - and how many more - might have ironically said to God with Saint Augustine, "Thou hast counselled a better course than thou hast permitted."
Thomas Hardy, Tess of the D'Urbervilles

Offline mike

• Pink Mafia
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2016, 01:56:14 PM »
Chakrabongse Bhuvanath
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Avid apokatastisist
  • Taxiarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #47 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:00 PM »
Queen Sofia of Spain, the daughter of former King Paul of Greece and sister of Ex-King Constantine II, was an Orthodox Christian prior to her marriage in the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Athens, Greece, in 1962, to Prince Juan Carlos, who later became King of Spain; Princess Sophia of Greece converted to Roman Catholicism for her marriage. 

Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, former Prince of Greece, consort of Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, converted from Eastern Orthodoxy to Anglicanism prior to his marriage.

To be fair, the formation of the Greek monarchy and its ostensible conversion to Orthodoxy was purely political in the first place. For all we know, the "Orthodox," "Catholic," or "Anglican" members of that royal house were privately Lutherans all along. (Or Satanists, if you'd rather.)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #48 on: September 22, 2016, 06:32:27 PM »
Queen Sofia of Spain, the daughter of former King Paul of Greece and sister of Ex-King Constantine II, was an Orthodox Christian prior to her marriage in the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Athens, Greece, in 1962, to Prince Juan Carlos, who later became King of Spain; Princess Sophia of Greece converted to Roman Catholicism for her marriage. 

Prince Phillip, Duke of Edinburgh, former Prince of Greece, consort of Great Britain's Queen Elizabeth II, converted from Eastern Orthodoxy to Anglicanism prior to his marriage.

To be fair, the formation of the Greek monarchy and its ostensible conversion to Orthodoxy was purely political in the first place. For all we know, the "Orthodox," "Catholic," or "Anglican" members of that royal house were privately Lutherans all along. (Or Satanists, if you'd rather.)
Hardly. The matriarch, Queen Olga Constantinovna, came from the Russian Imperial family, and was married partly because she was Orthodox. King George remained Lutheran, but their son Constantine I was raised in his mother's faith. On the birth of his heir, Queen Sophia Hohenzollern, over the objections of her brother Kaiser Wilhelm I and the entreaties of his pious Lutheran wife the Empress, sought to be catechized by Queen Olga (but at the insistence of the King George of the Hellenes, was instructed by Met. Germonos of Athens and primate of Greece instead) and received into the Church-for which her brother barred him from her homeland in Germany. The heir married the Orthodox Princess Elizabeth of Romania, and when they were deposed, the next son came with his Greek commoner Orthodox wife (whom he married over objections to her status). Then came the grand-niece of Queen Sophia, Frederica, who followed her example.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #49 on: September 22, 2016, 07:11:29 PM »

Hardly. The matriarch, Queen Olga Constantinovna, came from the Russian Imperial family, and was married partly because she was Orthodox. King George remained Lutheran, but their son Constantine I was raised in his mother's faith. On the birth of his heir, Queen Sophia Hohenzollern, over the objections of her brother Kaiser Wilhelm I and the entreaties of his pious Lutheran wife the Empress, sought to be catechized by Queen Olga (but at the insistence of the King George of the Hellenes, was instructed by Met. Germonos of Athens and primate of Greece instead) and received into the Church-for which her brother barred him from her homeland in Germany. The heir married the Orthodox Princess Elizabeth of Romania, and when they were deposed, the next son came with his Greek commoner Orthodox wife (whom he married over objections to her status). Then came the grand-niece of Queen Sophia, Frederica, who followed her example.

As for Philip, his mother became an Orthodox nun and founded an order in Greece, and insisted on being buried next to her aunt, Grandduchess St. Elizabeth, her godmother, instead of in Windsor Castle. She converted to Orthodoxy, after over 20 years of marriage, when Prince Philip was 7, while in exile.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 07:34:01 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
  • Please pray for my family and for myself
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #50 on: September 22, 2016, 11:13:10 PM »
The last two presidents of Brazil are Roman Catholics with Orthodox parents. But I doubt Temer was ever baptised Orthodox and I'm sure Dilma wasn't.

We may count a big part of the Communist leaders of the USSR, too. Except the Old Bolsheviks, these were massively Jewish.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 11:24:54 PM by RaphaCam »
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline Rohzek

• High Elder
    • Shameless Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Orthodox and Postpositivist
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #51 on: September 22, 2016, 11:16:17 PM »
There's gotta be an Orthodox person from the past century or so who left it for another faith (not denomination) or for atheism, no?
"What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion." - Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII

“Fools have a habit of believing that everything written by a famous author is admirable. For my part I read only to please myself and like only what suits my taste.” - Lord Pococurante in Candide by Voltaire

Check out my new blog: Shameless Orthodoxy Latest Post:  Latin Divorce & Remarriage: A Forgotten History

Offline mikeforjesus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2016, 03:23:01 AM »
condemning apostates isn't going to get one to heaven.

Please see below link for further explanation
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,70025.msg1422746.html#msg1422746
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 03:27:49 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Saxon

• Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2016, 12:14:12 PM »
Vlad the Impaler deserted Orthodoxy for Catholicism in an attempt to gain favour with the Pope and Western monarchs for his wars against the Ottomans.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 01:28:06 PM »
There's gotta be an Orthodox person from the past century or so who left it for another faith (not denomination) or for atheism, no?

Andrey Markov in 1912 (just a little bit over a century). Markov, of Markov chain fame, was an atheist. He basically said, "Excommunicate me please" to the Russian church, and they did.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Velsigne

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: USA
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2016, 05:28:00 PM »
Chakrabongse Bhuvanath

Agreed on Tesla, son of an Orthodox priest.  Though he changed the world as we know it, slept only a few hours every night, walked miles a day, never married.  Very unusual brilliant man.  Have thought recently that if everyone followed the church prescription for either monastic or married life we might never accomplish anything we are set out to do. 

There, I said it.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2016, 10:43:21 PM »
Chakrabongse Bhuvanath

Agreed on Tesla, son of an Orthodox priest.  Though he changed the world as we know it, slept only a few hours every night, walked miles a day, never married.  Very unusual brilliant man.  Have thought recently that if everyone followed the church prescription for either monastic or married life we might never accomplish anything we are set out to do. 

There, I said it.

"I'm married to my job".
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2016, 10:45:37 PM »
Savitri Devi apparently was christened Greek Orthodox but ended up becoming an esoteric neo-Nazi Hindu.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2016, 11:55:55 PM »
Savitri Devi apparently was christened Greek Orthodox but ended up becoming an esoteric neo-Nazi Hindu.

Whoa there.  :o
In a time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey

Offline rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #59 on: October 03, 2016, 12:30:32 AM »
Tolstoy, Benny Hinn, Stalin, Julian the Apostate, Vlad the Impaler

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2016, 08:33:19 AM »
I didn't know Savitri was Greek, I actually planned to read one of her books to know what on Earth she was talking about. The Chilean author Miguel Serrano refers to her a lot. It's worth mentioning Serrano believed Hitler was literally Kalki, the Hindu avatara of Vishnu, and he quoted Savitri extensively to "prove" his point. It's like blue-eyed Rastafarianism...
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty." (Psalm 90:1)

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese). Last article: Como posso lidar com minha condição pecadora?

Offline juliogb

• Elder
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2016, 08:34:43 AM »
The last two presidents of Brazil are Roman Catholics with Orthodox parents. But I doubt Temer was ever baptised Orthodox and I'm sure Dilma wasn't.

We may count a big part of the Communist leaders of the USSR, too. Except the Old Bolsheviks, these were massively Jewish.

I thought Roussef's parents were secular jewish and Michel Temer family was maronite, not orthodox.

Offline RaphaCam

• Holy Martyr Mercurius
  • Archon
« Reply #62 on: October 03, 2016, 08:37:10 AM »
I thought Roussef's parents were secular jewish and Michel Temer family was maronite, not orthodox.
Rousseff's mother was Brazilian, while although there are some people who say her father was Jewish, I searched extensively about it two years ago and found it should be a myth. Temer's parents came from an Orthodox village, with a priest and a bishop in their family, but they became Maronite here, probably influenced by the specific Arabic community they found themselves in.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 08:38:03 AM by RaphaCam »