OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 11:31:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baptists open eyes to Epiphany  (Read 622 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 19, 2013, 11:00:38 AM »

But scholars and pastors say the observance of Epiphany, along with some other seasons of the liturgical calendar, are enjoying a comeback in Baptist and other Protestant churches, albeit gingerly in some places.

And Eastern Orthodox Christians, for whom Theophany is of major importance, say they are often mystified why more Protestants, especially evangelicals, would not follow suit given the holiday’s focus on Christ’s public declaration of ministry.
“For the first time in human history, God as three persons reveals himself,” said Savas Zembillas, metropolitan bishop of the Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh. “That for us is a revelation of the holy Trinity and at the same time it is Jesus’ public debut – when he began his public ministry.”
Suspicion of observances like Epiphany has been especially strong among many American Protestants since the anti-Catholic fever that swept the nation in the 18th and 19th centuries, said Richard Wilson, professor of Christian theology at Mercer University in Macon, Ga. While British Baptists were more open such celebrations, those in North America and in nations missionized by them came to see them as unbiblical.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 11:02:14 AM by Jetavan » Logged

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 06:16:13 PM »

Baptists refusing to celebrate the Baptism of Christ. Hilarious.  laugh
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 07:32:02 PM »

British Baptists/Protestants > American Baptists/Protestants.

In my experience from meeting them and reading their articles, the European Protestants and Baptists are generally more tolerant, open-minded and hardly ever insult us--even if they disagree with us, giving us a more fair-shake. Whereas American Protestants/Baptists are generally much more hostile, less knowledgable, intolerant and openly deflame RC/EO as being from Hell. I think this is because American Protestantism is more influenced by the Evangelical movement--which is probably the most intolerant of EO/RC, whereas the Evangelical movement isn't as popular in Europe. I'm curious if David Young will agree with my observation.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 02:46:00 PM »

In my experience from meeting them and reading their articles, the European Protestants and Baptists are generally more tolerant, open-minded....
...which would explain this.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 03:49:20 PM »

In my experience from meeting them and reading their articles, the European Protestants and Baptists are generally more tolerant, open-minded and hardly ever insult us--even if they disagree with us, giving us a more fair-shake. Whereas American Protestants/Baptists are generally much more hostile, less knowledgable, intolerant and openly deflame RC/EO as being from Hell. I think this is because American Protestantism is more influenced by the Evangelical movement--which is probably the most intolerant of EO/RC, whereas the Evangelical movement isn't as popular in Europe. I'm curious if David Young will agree with my observation.
Then there's Paleo-Orthodoxy

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 03:54:14 PM »

In my experience from meeting them and reading their articles, the European Protestants and Baptists are generally more tolerant, open-minded....
...which would explain this.
What article like that would be complete without a follow up of this

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: