OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 10:20:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flu-Outbreaks  (Read 795 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 19, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »

Do Orthodox parishes take special action during flu-outbreaks, regarding the Body and Blood?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 10:57:19 AM »

Do Orthodox parishes take special action during flu-outbreaks, regarding the Body and Blood?

Yes. We commune more frequently since it is the medicine of immortality.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 11:01:31 AM »

An illustrative anecdote:

"Archbishop John of Chicago (OCA) of blessed memory, was celebrating the Divine Liturgy for the first time at a certain parish, probably in the late '60s. He was a small and humble man in stature, not at all imposing, but shining with the love of Christ. During the Liturgy he kept hearing a strange noise as the altar boys prepared for Holy Communion. Finally his curiousity got the better of him and he asked: "vat is this click, click?!"

He was told: "Vladika, that is the box of plastic spoons, we are getting them ready for communion. The people are afraid of infection." They, evidently, were using individually wrapped plastic spoons instead of a common spoon. As I understand it, Archbishop John was livid. He stopped the Divine Liturgy, grabbed the box of spoons, dumped them on the floor and proceeded to stomp on them right there in front of the congregation. The frail old man, with his long white beard and golden vestments, stomping up and down must have been quite a sight! He then said in a very grave voice, his index finger raised, "Bring me spoon!" The deacons and altar boys rushed to obey. They gathered up and disposed of the offending, no longer sterile plastic utensils and searched the altar and sacristy for a more suitable and appropriate one, as the congregation no doubt stood in no small shock and consternation at the whole proceedings.

Well, it turns out that the only spoon they could come up with was an old (probably former communion) spoon that they were using to put incense in the censer. He patiently waited and paused the service until they could clean up the spoon as best they could of the built-up accretions of charcoal, powder and incense. He then calmly proceeded with the Divine Liturgy and the Eucharist, using this old, battered, still somewhat encrusted spoon. I don't know how many people actually partook, but I am relatively sure that plastic spoons were not used again in that parish."

Source: http://www.monachos.net/forum/showthread.php?6474-Changing-the-method-of-communion-on-account-of-swine-flu&highlight=Archbishop+John

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 11:32:38 AM »

That gave me a giggle. Cheesy

Seriously, the common spoon has endured for centuries of outbreaks of plague. It's been taken to leper colonies. Christ knows to protect his faithful.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:02:37 PM »

I am still cautious.
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2013, 12:41:04 AM »

Our priest at our parish has told us stories of another priest he knew back in the 80's. A parishioner asked the priest, "what about AIDS, what if someone had a cut in their mouth and I could get AIDS." The priest stood there for a moment, then replied, "well, you either believe it's the Body and Blood of Christ... or you don't!" That was that.

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2013, 12:45:39 AM »

Our priest at our parish has told us stories of another priest he knew back in the 80's. A parishioner asked the priest, "what about AIDS, what if someone had a cut in their mouth and I could get AIDS." The priest stood there for a moment, then replied, "well, you either believe it's the Body and Blood of Christ... or you don't!" That was that.

This.
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2013, 01:03:46 AM »

I've gone to church sick, I've partaken after sick people and I have never heard of anyone getting sick

I severely doubt God would let something like that happen

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2013, 01:16:17 AM »

I've gone to church sick, I've partaken after sick people and I have never heard of anyone getting sick

I severely doubt God would let something like that happen

I would add that over so many centuries, countless priests and deacons have consumed what remains in the chalice after all have communed. Surely they would be the first to get sick, yet there is no evidence at all that they do.
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

I'm glad I don't get that lengthy explanations about substance and accidents here where they essentially explain that the bread and wine is not bread and wine except in all other cases where it is, like transmitting diseases.  How can we really go to Liturgy every Sunday and receive the Eucharist and then make excuses on how it is not what we say it is?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 02:56:02 AM »

I still have my doubts about this as well. I'm kind of on the fence--inside I know that I should trust that nothing would happen, yet subconsciously I still always try to be the first one to Commune so that I don't have the fear lingering in me of whether or not I'll pick up a sickness from someone.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 06:21:09 AM »

Perhaps if more people attended Liturgy, less people would have the flu.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 09:18:36 AM »

The Flu is transmitted via coughing, sneezing and touch. 
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/spread.htm

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »

So am I right to be concerned when my priest partakes of the Blood using a spoon so he won't pass sniffles on to others? Yes - he admitted that to me recently, and I was able to observe him doing exactly that. I find it strange because we pray that the Gifts will be for the "healing of soul and body".
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 11:45:56 AM »

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »

You're getting it already, young padawan! Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 03:24:04 PM »

Yes. We commune more frequently since it is the medicine of immortality.

I've never had fear that I could catch some illnesses although I've attend e.g Liturgies that the priest had a cold. And I always approach to the Chalice as last (or one of the last) person. And what's more, after this one year in Orthodoxy and participating regularly in the Holy Eucharist, I was never ill (maybe 2 times little running nose)!

If the Body and Blood of Christ can cure our souls, so what about our bodies that are much easier to treat them?

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 10:41:42 PM »

lol this brings back memories. I remember the first time my parents ever attended an Orthodox Church with me, their first question--coming from my mom--was whether or not you could contract illness from venerating Icons or sharing the same spoon. At first, I had this same fear as well, until my godfather explained the Sacramental aspect of it. Still, to this day, I find myself sinning in line to receive Communion by doubting and worrying that I might get sick--kinda like St. Peter when he walked on the water and stumbled.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Timon
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:28 PM »

I like this.  However, if I am honest, if I knew the person in front of me had aids, and a cut in their mouth, I would probably dip out of line and just wait till next week for communion.

Call it a lack of faith maybe... But I am far from perfect.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:24:04 PM »

I don't get squeamish venerating icons unless someone before me has had the gall to venerate wearing lip balm. Ick.

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: