OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:23:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to Make Money?  (Read 796 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: January 18, 2013, 10:58:12 PM »

So, my birthday is coming up on February 18th and I asked my parents if they would buy me the "Popular Patristics" library set from St. Vladimir's Press for $525.00 and--in the words of Ralphie--they looked at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears and laughed at me. They said that the most I am going to get for my birthday is $300--and that's the combined gift from both them, my siblings, grandparents and cutting out any plans to eat out. I'm still $200 short. Now, I could easily take the $200 from my secret laptop fund stash of $600--but I don't want to do that. I need a way to make $200 fast by February 18th. Any advice?

Should I tell everyone at Church and all my friends that my birthday is coming up--in hopes that they'll give me money, search the attic for any old valuable piece of junk that I could sell on craigslist, swallow my pride and take it from my laptop fund, rob a bank or something different altogether? Some advice would be helpful.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:59:32 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:38 PM »

A lot can be found free online if one's desire is to read and to learn, and not simply to have.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 11:36:06 PM »

I got a shipment of books today, about $50 worth, that were in a plastic bag with a "I'm sorry" note from the Post Office. The mailer was ripped and the books soaked.  I was devastated and irate then I realized I ordered the books on impulse and have at least 10 books I swore to myself "I'd read first" before ordering more.  Maybe God is trying to send me a message.

Maybe you should hold off on buying such a huge set, especially when a lot of that material is available more or less for free.

Buy a volume or two that you'll get a lot out of and really treasure.  Like HTM's Ladder of Divine Ascent.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:42 PM »

"Everyday Saints" is a great book.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 12:48:06 AM »

Bikini car wash Smiley
choy
Archon

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 02:04:34 AM »

Create a new dance move that will captivate the interwebz and get ridiculous amounts of hits on YouTube
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 04:59:53 AM »

Why don't you start with CCEL's Early Church Fathers instead? Even printing them out would cost you less. And you could leave the other set for next birthday, or whenever you've saved up enough.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 06:12:05 AM »

Why not the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers? You get more Patristics for less money. It's even within your budget. The language might be slightly archaic but if I can read it so can you.

Besides, laptops suck. You should get yourself a desktop. Usually cheaper and they have better graphic cards and processors.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:16:47 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
-Willem Elschot, 'The Marriage'.
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 06:17:10 AM »

Why not the Nicene and Post-Nicene Fathers? You get more Patristics for less money. The language might be slightly archaic but if I can read it so can you.

Besides, laptops suck. You should get yourself a desktop. Usually cheaper and got better graphics card and processor.

You do realise those are exactly the CCEL ones I linked to above, don't you?

And no slamming laptops. They're great. Netbooks even better. Can't lug a desktop around, and I for one prefer my netbook than having a desktop at home and a tablet for out.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 06:22:39 AM »

I do. But paper beats computer screens and it's great to have. But hey, that's just me.

And no slamming laptops. They're great. Netbooks even better. Can't lug a desktop around, and I for one prefer my netbook than having a desktop at home and a tablet for out.

I think laptop mouse pads are horrible. Laptops are expansive and got less power than desktops. For €600 you can get a nice desktop but a mediocre laptop at best.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:44:14 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

"But slay her he did not, for between dream and deed laws and practicalities remain"
Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 06:25:12 AM »

I do. But paper beats computer screens and it's great to have. But hey, that's just me.

I think laptop mouse pads are horrible, they're expansive and got less power than desktops. For €600 you can get a nice desktop but a mediocre laptop at best.

Trackpads are not everyone's cup of tea, but they're workable.

I got my netbook (a Samsung NC10) four years ago for £320, and wouldn't change her for the world. I'm not replacing her before she dies on me.

Of course, most important reason NOT to buy a desktop right now = Win 8.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:25:36 AM by Arachne » Logged

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2013, 06:33:11 AM »

I might reconsider then and get the early Church Fathers series that Cyrillic and Arachne linked above--but I had one question. How accurate is the translation? The collection seems really old--and even worse, the translator as far as I could tell was not Orthodox/Catholic, is it biased by the Protestant translator? At least with the Popular Patristics series, I know that most of the translators are Orthodox/Catholic. And yeah, paper books beat PDF files anyday--I'm old fashioned.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Ceci n'est pas une pipe

« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »

I might reconsider then and get the early Church Fathers series that Cyrillic and Arachne linked above--but I had one question. How accurate is the translation? The collection seems really old--and even worse, the translator as far as I could tell was not Orthodox/Catholic, is it biased by the Protestant translator? At least with the Popular Patristics series, I know that most of the translators are Orthodox/Catholic. And yeah, paper books beat PDF files anyday--I'm old fashioned.

It was mostly translated by High Church Anglicans, so most of it doesn't have much of a Protestant bias. However, some small parts, especially in the notes, do have bias. One of the Church Histories and the Adversus Haereses has Protestant bias in the notes (they said that bishops didn't exist in the first and early second century in a very polemical way). I guess those parts were done by low-church protestants. The translation is always very precise.

If you can birthday presents up to $300 you can still take St. John Damascene's Three Treatises on the Divine Images from the Popular Patristics series with the NPNF series.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:58:58 AM by Cyrillic » Logged

Arachne
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2013, 10:55:26 AM »

And yeah, paper books beat PDF files anyday--I'm old fashioned.

I'm not fond of reading on the computer myself, either - mostly because I actually do most of my reading in bed or aboard various means of public transport, so a hand-held device is necessary. I just downloaded the PDFs and converted them to .mobi files to read on my Kindle. Before I got a Kindle, I got entire volumes printed and spiral-bound. Let's say the local printer's shop staff were very happy to see me come in.

That kind of book set is something to show off and cherish, but we adults have less disposable income than you teens, not to mention the storage space issues.

Gamliel
Archon

Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2013, 11:28:57 AM »

Shine shoes?
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2013, 12:03:06 AM »

So, my birthday is coming up on February 18th and I asked my parents if they would buy me the "Popular Patristics" library set from St. Vladimir's Press for $525.00 and--in the words of Ralphie--they looked at me as if I had lobsters crawling out of my ears and laughed at me. They said that the most I am going to get for my birthday is $300--and that's the combined gift from both them, my siblings, grandparents and cutting out any plans to eat out. I'm still $200 short. Now, I could easily take the $200 from my secret laptop fund stash of $600--but I don't want to do that. I need a way to make $200 fast by February 18th. Any advice?

Should I tell everyone at Church and all my friends that my birthday is coming up--in hopes that they'll give me money, search the attic for any old valuable piece of junk that I could sell on craigslist, swallow my pride and take it from my laptop fund, rob a bank or something different altogether? Some advice would be helpful.

Dear to Christ James:

When I was around your age, I got a part-time (evenings) job dishwashing; Is part-time work of this sort an option for you?

Otherwise: I don't know how devoted a reader you are, but that does seem a rather formidable collection to obtain all at once.

I would consider purchasing a few of the more 'essential' works from the series (say, somewhere between 5 and 10) and spending some time reading and digesting them, and also discussing them with your priest and others in the church community and purchasing others only after you have exhausted these. Sometimes, as they say, a little goes a long way.

When I was first received in the Church in my mid-late 20's, the advice that I was given by a wiser old priest-monk, was to initially focus my readings- outside of the Gospel- primarily on the lives of saints, in order that the Church's theology not seem too abstract by also showing what theology looks like incarnate. So I also pass this advice on to you.

A decent collection of Gospel homilies, focused on the readings within the Church's liturgical cycle I have also found helpful and would recommend in addition to the aforementioned suggestions.

Here are a couple of ideas:

http://www.churchofthenativity.net/publications/the-gospel-commentary/

and:

http://www.thaborian.com/bookstore_090721_1.html

Also if there is a seminary or college/ university library in your area, you may be surprised at the resources available to you through them (if not within their collection, then through inter-library loan), so that you needn't spend so much money on books.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2013, 04:56:26 AM »

Is this a good collection to purchase to learn about the Saints?

Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2013, 06:46:24 AM »

Is this a good collection to purchase to learn about the Saints?

I am honestly not sure. I have heard some of the lives from St. Dmitri's compilation read aloud in monastic refectories, etc. and my impression was that, adhering as they do to Byzantine hagiographical convention, they could seem rather naive to modern Western ears. Also, since they were compiled in the 17th century, they would lack inclusion of later saints. With these caveats in mind, I'm sure it's a worthwhile collection.

If it is indeed a collection of saints' lives you are looking for, I can wholeheartedly recommend the Synaxarion compiled by Hieromonk Makarios of Simonos Petra, in 7 volumes, as it includes contemporary saints and saints from many regional Churches not represented in others. The problem is, I don't know who is still carrying this collection in its entirety. Try www.greeceinprint.com.

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: