OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 06:37:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Countries & Education?  (Read 166 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: January 20, 2013, 10:20:47 PM »

Well, my graduation from High-School is about only a year and a half away, and lately I've just been feeling like I'm too lucky. Why do I get to live in a first-world country with really no religious persecution whereas most Orthodox Christians live in backwards parts of the world full of poverty, revolutions and religious persecution? In a sense, I feel like I want to join them--at least for a little while. The thought of perhaps staying in one of these backwards places for a couple years--maybe for college--interests me a bit. Who knows what I could do? I could offer them encouragement, tell them stories about the developed western world, face trials and cry with them, live in the gutter with them, have a spiritual awakening and maybe even meet someone special and take her back to the west with me. Are there any good opportunities or suggestions/ideas you fellows can give me?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 12:10:28 AM »

Temporary volunteer experience:
Little Lambs-Ukraine, works with Orphans
Peace Corp includes East Europe
YWAM Youth With A Mission, Christian organization that includes Orthodox countries
If you have a heritage in one of those countries, you might look into a Birthright program that lets you volunteer there and helps support your trip.

Long term career work:
Missionary work
Non-profit work
International business development

I don't know much about them, but there are study abroad scholarships and the like.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 12:11:54 AM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation. (2 Cor 2:6)
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 12:29:45 AM »

Is this for real? Because I can only read it in an ironic key
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:01 AM »

"Little-Lambs"? that sounds very interesting. I could work with orphans--I deal with my two younger siblings all the time.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 12:33:56 AM »

Is this for real? Because I can only read it in an ironic key

This is for real. I want to do something good in my life other than getting a job and living the stereotypical American life while all the other Orthodox Christians struggle.

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »

They don't all struggle I imagine. Plus they are the only ones that can help themselves through direct political action . Just like everywhere else.
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 01:21:38 AM »

In a sense, I feel like I want to join them--at least for a little while. The thought of perhaps staying in one of these backwards places for a couple years--maybe for college--interests me a bit. Who knows what I could do? I could offer them encouragement, tell them stories about the developed western world, face trials and cry with them, live in the gutter with them, have a spiritual awakening and maybe even meet someone special and take her back to the west with me. Are there any good opportunities or suggestions/ideas you fellows can give me?

Do it after you're done with college, if you must. Otherwise you might blow up your own God given chances at a decent existence, as well as "hers".

Plus, with the materialistic rage everywhere (including/especially in backwards Orthodox countries), being a young American volunteer full of noble intentions might not make you exactly eligible. As for 'stories about the developed western world', the attic is full of them, as a saying goes.     

Never take such major decisions on impulse - 'without counsel' (Prov. 15, 22) from people who matter. 
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: