OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:21:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nuncio Archbishop on conversion  (Read 322 times) Average Rating: 0
Peter J
Formerly PJ
Taxiarches

Faith: Melkite

« on: January 18, 2013, 04:40:27 PM »

"… So in a way it helped to illustrate to them or teach them what the Catholic Church was about as well?"

"Yes and because we always respected their identity. For example, at the nunciature there was also a young [Orthodox] seminarian who had stopped studying in order to make some money. I would tell him quite often: “You must not become a Catholic. You have to keep your faith in order to better serve your Church. Now you know us you can dream about going to Rome. You can go to Rome one day in order to study but you should remain a Russian Orthodox.” "
- from an interview with Archbishop Antonio Mennini.

This is interesting to me, because my understanding is that we Catholics generally don't encourage Orthodox to convert to Catholicism, but don't discourage them from doing so either.

- Peter Jericho (a CAF poster)
ErmyCath

Faith: Roman Catholic (inquiring with GOA)
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Mobile

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:20 PM »

Very interesting.

We've come a long way from:

"Furthermore we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

(Note that the "we declare, we proclaim, we define" language is an indication the Pope is speaking ex cathedra.)

"You must have an opinion on everything and loudly confront everyone with it." - Cyrillic
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 04:57:01 PM »

Very interesting.

"Furthermore we declare, we proclaim, we define that it is absolutely necessary for salvation that every human creature be subject to the Roman Pontiff."

(Note that the "we declare, we proclaim, we define" language is an indication the Pope is speaking ex cathedra.)

Didn't they say later on that the Orthodox and the Protestants are in an imperfect way "Catholics"?  Anyone validly baptized in the Trinitarian Formula is a Catholic.
gueranger

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 06:05:16 PM »

Very interesting.

What the Nuncio was saying is obviously heresy, from both Catholic and Orthodox perspectives. The long way we've come (or fallen rather) is allowing heresy to run rampant.

I still feel like I'm in limbo between Catholicism and Orthodoxy. I don't give religious assent of the mind and will to Vatican II, and I think its highly probably that we warned about mass apostasy in the third secret of Fatima and that its all being covered up... but then I start to feel like a conspiracy nutcase and find my whole position as a "traditionalist" Catholic to be untenable. Looking at the Church Fathers I see a good case for the Catholic and the Orthodox stance.

I guess I'm making up for all the teenage angst I never had.  Angry
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:06:12 PM by gueranger » Logged

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:10:38 PM »

Very interesting.

What the Nuncio was saying is obviously heresy, from both Catholic and Orthodox perspectives. The long way we've come (or fallen rather) is allowing heresy to run rampant.

I still feel like I'm in limbo between Catholicism and Orthodoxy. I don't give religious assent of the mind and will to Vatican II, and I think its highly probably that we warned about mass apostasy in the third secret of Fatima and that its all being covered up... but then I start to feel like a conspiracy nutcase and find my whole position as a "traditionalist" Catholic to be untenable. Looking at the Church Fathers I see a good case for the Catholic and the Orthodox stance.

I guess I'm making up for all the teenage angst I never had.  Angry

What if the nuncio felt just the way you do (maybe except about Vatican II & Fatima) and this was the best advice he could give?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 06:14:06 PM by Romaios » Logged
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »

Nuncio archbishop embracing succumb to irrelevance. Catholic with a shrug.
gueranger

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »

What if the nuncio felt just the way you do (maybe except about Vatican II & Fatima) and this was the best advice he could give?

Then I'm very glad I'm not a Bishop.

“Hold firmly that your faith is identical to that of the ancients, deny this and you dissolve the unity of the Church.” -St. Thomas Aquinas

http://www.amazon.com/His-Broken-Body-Understanding-Catholic/dp/0615183611

http://www.bloomsbury.com/us/the-banished-heart-9780567442208/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: