OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 30, 2014, 08:19:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Manti Te'o GF hoax.  (Read 998 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 17, 2013, 07:57:18 PM »

I really am torn on what to believe here. I do think manti was involved slightly and is deflecting people finding out on some elaborate hoax.

And really who would make such an elaborate hoax on some college football player?

It all just sounds kind of crazy, wouldn't you know the GF was a fake?

It reminds me of that new MTV show where people make fake online profiles and fool people into believeing they are them.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 09:05:24 PM »

It reminds me of that new MTV show where people make fake online profiles and fool people into believeing they are them.

I think you answered your own question.

Today, it's not impossible to make a strong relationship without even having met a person face-to-face. If someone is particularly trusting and guileless, there is quite a risk he or she could be taken advantage of. A romantic relationship can evoke strong feelings and reel a person in. Is it so hard to believe when there are people falling for Nigerian get rich quick by sending money scams all the time?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:35:33 PM »

I really am torn on what to believe here. I do think manti was involved slightly and is deflecting people finding out on some elaborate hoax.

And really who would make such an elaborate hoax on some college football player?

What would Manti have gain by being in on the hoax?

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:40:22 PM »

Who is Manti Te'o?

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 11:08:08 PM »

Who is Manti Te'o?
All you need know
about Manti Te'o,
but were afraid to ask.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
SolEX01
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 01:31:47 AM »

We'll see in 3 months if any NFL team drafts Teo.  When I first heard the story about his grandmother and GF dying within hours of each other while watching a ND football game, I paid no attention to it although I questioned whether it was too good to be true.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

black metal cat

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 01:36:51 AM »

... too good to be true.

Not sure that's the right phrase to describe such a situation...  police

"But science is an inferential exercise, not a catalog of facts. Numbers, by themselves, specify nothing. All depends upon what you do with them" - Stephen Jay Gould
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2013, 02:03:28 AM »

Apparently you don't know the Internet...

Internet, meet Achronos
Achronos, meet the Internet. May God have mercy on your soul!

Have you heard of the recent campaign by some on the net after the photos of Justin Bieber smoking pot arose? They created a campaign called "cut for Bieber" to incite young female fans of Bieber to cut their wrists, I'm not joking. That's the Internet for you. Give people a throwaway identity and take away any connection to their real life and personhood, and they'll be willing to be absolute jerks, just for the LoLs...

http://youtu.be/efHCdKb5UWc
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 02:09:13 AM by 88Devin12 » Logged
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2013, 02:17:50 AM »

... too good to be true.

What would you suggest?   Huh
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2013, 02:24:28 AM »

... too good to be true.

"Too much of a coincidence"?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

Maybe I think I'm just smarter than that.

Look if you are in a "serious" relationship online, and she doesn't want to see you or makes a lot of excuses for not meeting in person, that is highly suspicious. Why would you get so emotionally invested to someone you have never actually met in person?

Maybe I need to take a stab at long distance online dating to see it...

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

And really 3 years of not knowing? I call BS.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2013, 04:55:22 PM »

Look if you are in a "serious" relationship online, and she doesn't want to see you or makes a lot of excuses for not meeting in person, that is highly suspicious. Why would you get so emotionally invested to someone you have never actually met in person?

I've known people with such relationships. For some, "cybersex" and merely talking over chat or Skype is enough, some even just are happy playing the same video game as "dating".

I know a guy who left his real girlfriend  for his World of Warcraft girlfriend. My generation is messed up.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:56:53 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »

From the subject line, I thought this might be in the foreign language section.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

More people know about this and more action has been done about this than about the real tragedy of Notre Dame (and NCAA in general) football, Lizzy Seeberg.

I can't go on without resorting to incredibly vulgar language so I'm going to stop.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2013, 06:51:27 PM »

... too good to be true.

That sounds better.   Smiley
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2013, 06:54:51 PM »

I know a guy who left his real girlfriend  for his World of Warcraft girlfriend. My generation is messed up.

I don't even know what this means.

But I don't think it is true. I have a hard time believing anyone who plays that game has the capacity to be with a woman. Maybe they are brother and sister friends.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2013, 06:57:02 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

More people know about this and more action has been done about this than about the real tragedy of Notre Dame (and NCAA in general) football, Lizzy Seeberg.

I can't go on without resorting to incredibly vulgar language so I'm going to stop.

Well if you can bring yourself to do so without vulgarity or want to take an orange dot for the team, please do, cause I have no idea about this story or the larger problem in the NCAA, unless we are talking about using people as unpaid labor and throwing them into a trash heap when you are finished.

88Devin12
Moderated
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

But I don't think it is true. I have a hard time believing anyone who plays that game has the capacity to be with a woman. Maybe they are brother and sister friends.

No, this friend of mine (I was actually closer to his GF than him) had a real life girlfriend and a girlfriend in World of Warcraft. He dumped his real girlfriend and went down to Texas to meet up with this other girl. I have no clue how that ended up, I just know he has another girlfriend now who is pregnant.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2013, 07:27:39 PM »

... too good to be true.

"Too Russian of a paradigm"?

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2013, 07:30:46 PM »

No, this friend of mine (I was actually closer to his GF than him) had a real life girlfriend and a girlfriend in World of Warcraft. He dumped his real girlfriend and went down to Texas to meet up with this other girl. I have no clue how that ended up, I just know he has another girlfriend now who is pregnant.

Real life becomes metaphor and then eventually cliche. Lord have mercy.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »

Actually to answer my own question, people must be getting something out of the online relationship.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2013, 07:52:18 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Isn't that the "joke" here? ND would hire plenty of investigators on Te'o's imaginary girlfriend rather than what happened to Lizzy with rape.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2013, 08:13:21 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Isn't that the "joke" here? ND would hire plenty of investigators on Te'o's imaginary girlfriend rather than what happened to Lizzy with rape.
You just like to be offended, don't you?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 08:17:54 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Yes because when it comes to a girl that gets raped and not even close to the level of investigation that is being done on Te'o's fake GF we should take this all in stride and should take this moment to remember how great our college programs are in taking real issues seriously.

But not being "offended" here.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 08:20:08 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Yes because when it comes to a girl that gets raped and not even close to the level of investigation that is being done on Te'o's fake GF we should take this all in stride and should take this moment to remember how great our college programs are in taking real issues seriously.

Like Schultz said about this whole thing with Manti T'eo: Who gives a rat's bahookie? Is talk of this whole fake GF affair going to change our lives any, or do we just have this insatiable urge to engage in some kind of voyeurism?
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 08:29:23 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Like Schultz said about this whole thing with Manti T'eo: Who gives a rat's bahookie? Is talk of this whole fake GF affair going to change our lives any, or do we just have this insatiable urge to engage in some kind of voyeurism?
Wait a second Peter, do you think I am offended at the whole T'eo thing? Absolutely not, it's fantastic entertainment.

But Schultz hit it dead on with the comparision with Lizzy.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
PeterTheAleut
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 08:31:54 PM »

Who. Gives. A. *******

Wait a second Peter, do you think I am offended at the whole T'eo thing? Absolutely not, it's fantastic entertainment.

But Schultz hit it dead on with the comparision with Lizzy.
Offended or no, you seem to take great pleasure in talking about a goofy situation that has absolutely no impact on our daily lives and doesn't even make a difference as to whether Notre Dame wins or loses any more football games this year.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 09:55:43 PM »

Plenty of entertainment has no impact on our daily lives, yet we still enjoy them, so that's a ridiculous argument.

And I wouldn't pay attention to this story if it didn't get so fascinating by the minute. But Te'o (and I'll get to Devin's posts when I'm off post moderation tomorrow) is a perfect example of the symptom of what is going on in the world today.

There are many people who do not like certain attributes about themselves or have insecurities, so they create a fantasized version of themselves online. Thing is, most folks get so deep into it that they never give up the lie and of course hurting those involved.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2013, 11:59:11 AM »

NEW YORK — Notre Dame linebacker Manti Te’o insisted he had no role in the bizarre hoax involving his “dead” girlfriend and told ESPN on Friday night that he was duped by a person [Ronaiah Tuiasosopo, a 22-year-old acquaintance who lives in California] who has since apologized to him.
Te’o said he first met Tuiasosopo in person after the Southern California game in November. According to the linebacker, Tuiasosopo told him he was the cousin of Lennay Kekua, the woman who Te’o believed he had fallen for through Internet chats and long phone conversations. But Kekua never existed.
Te’o said he never met Kekua face-to-face and when he tried to speak with her via Skype and video phone calls, the picture was blocked. Still, he didn’t figure out the ruse.

He also told ESPN that he lied to his father about having met Kekua. To cover that up, he apparently lied to everyone else.

After he was told Kekua had died of leukemia in early September, Te’o admitted he misled the public about the nature of the “relationship” because he was uncomfortable saying it was purely an electronic romance.

“That goes back to what I did with my dad. I knew that. I even knew that it was crazy that I was with somebody that I didn’t meet,” he said. “So I kind of tailored my stories to have people think that, yeah, he met her before she passed away.”

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2013, 03:01:03 PM »

We'll see in 3 months if any NFL team drafts Teo.  When I first heard the story about his grandmother and GF dying within hours of each other while watching a ND football game, I paid no attention to it although I questioned whether it was too good to be true.
People have robbed stores, done drugs, and straight-up killed people and still been drafted into the NFL. For a player of this caliber, I don't think it would be a deal-breaker that he comes up with creative was to stay in the closet.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
SolEX01
Toumarches

« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »

People have robbed stores, done drugs, and straight-up killed people and still been drafted into the NFL. For a player of this caliber, I don't think it would be a deal-breaker that he comes up with creative was to stay in the closet.

His stock fell after the National Championship Game even if he was affected by the "hoax" or not.  Some draft boards say Te'o is still a top 15 pick; others have him going in the second round or lower.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2013, 03:38:56 AM »

If anything he'd slip to the 2nd round IMO.

I'd hate to be him during his rookie season in the NFL, he's going to get made fun of so much.

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Paint It Red

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2013, 03:56:44 PM »

Manti Te’o's Fake Girlfriend Makes ‘Maxim’s Hot 100′ List at No. 69

“After Manti Te’o's fake girlfriend hoax of 2012, we think it might be nice to have an invisible girl of our own to love. Why not? She’s got a ton of great qualities, including looking awesome in a bikini.”

"But the real question is: How does swimsuit model Nina Agdal, who was named Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue as “Rookie of the Year” last year, feel about coming in at No. 70,  right behind an invisible woman?"
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/05/manti-teos-fake-girlfriend-makes-maxims-hot-100-list/

ROFL!!! That is awesome.

Now why the hell is Miley Cyrus #1?

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: