OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 12:13:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Farting  (Read 1673 times) Average Rating: 0
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« on: January 15, 2013, 09:54:32 PM »

Has anyone ever read or come across a mention of flatulence in the church fathers? Or any other orthodox writing?

I'm just imaging how excessive gas might be a carnal manifestation of a spiritual malady
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:01 PM »

What have I just read?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
choy
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:59:45 PM »

What have I just read?

It cannot be unread.

This is Hyperdox Herman worthy in some way  Grin
choy
Archon

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:01:17 PM »

Has anyone ever read or come across a mention of flatulence in the church fathers? Or any other orthodox writing?

I'm just imaging how excessive gas might be a carnal manifestation of a spiritual malady

As one who suffers from chronic hyper acidity, I will overrule whatever (if ever) the Fathers have to say about this.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:40 PM »

Wait.

Wut.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:07:18 PM »

The whole "what does the Church/Church fathers think of" thing is worthy.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:14:25 PM »

Thus says..... On the 5th Day of the 3rd month you shall expel all methane from the holey of holey's and you shall strike a match twice as to offer a hole burt offering.... A little to much maybe? Sorry Cool
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:15:41 PM »

I vaguely remember St. Augustine alluding to such, in which context or which writing I don't recall.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:19:49 PM »

I could tell this thread would stink before I even came in!

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 10:25:00 PM »

The whole "what does the Church/Church fathers think of" thing is worthy.
laugh

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »

Farting is a blameless passion.

But according to Menes the Trilobite, Exarch of Heliopolis in the 5th Century, unseemly gasses are a byproduct of the miasmatic humour, a result of the Fall. And modern science has shown that Methane (excretion of the miasmatic humor) is responsible for all diseases.

From this we can surmise that pre-fallen farts only occurred in regulated, predictable intervals, smelled either neutral or pleasant, and were immediately ignited by the swords of the cherubim, precluding the coalescence of a methane miasma.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:31:43 PM by NicholasMyra » Logged

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Agabus
The user formerly known as Agabus.
Archon

Faith: Pan-American Colloquial Convert Hybrid Orthodoxy.
Jurisdiction: We are all uncanonical now.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 10:28:48 PM »

Weird.

I had a similar wonder just yesterday.

Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH
Marc1152
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Rocor

Probiotic .. Antibiotic

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 11:54:32 PM »

Oh..Farting

I thought this was a thread about Fasting

Where are my glasses? This just wont do.

Your idea has been debunked 1000 times already.. Maybe 1001 will be the charm
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »

Oh..Farting

I thought this was a thread about Fasting

Where are my glasses? This just wont do.

One is the mad daughter of a holy mother.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 12:08:45 AM »

Best of Pastor Gas (farting preacher)

I'm going to need this.
choy
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »

Maybe there is a practical reason why the deacon censers the entire Church with fragrance several times during Liturgy  Grin

You know that gets nastier if you haven't eaten anything since the night before  Grin Grin Grin
simplygermain
beer-bellied tellitubby
High Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA - Northwest, Baby!

Zechariah 11:7

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 02:51:05 AM »

A funny story:
Way back when I was searching for ancient Christianity, I cam across a book written by a group claiming to be a remnant of the Essene Jewish sect which spoke of cleansing one's own (cough!) nether -regions with an elongated gourd full of water as to expel evil spirits which back themselves up within and cause "unspiritual fumes" to emanate forthwith. This was to be done at least weekly IIRC, while prayers of blessing and thanksgiving are recited with incense and the Angels of water and one's own guardian Angel are invoked.

I actually really liked that book as it was my first experience with written prayers recited at certain times of the day... And no, I did not have intimate relations with said gourd.

Wait... I can't believe I fell for this thread!  police

I believe, help Thou my unbelief!! - St. John of Krondstadt

http://Http://hairshirtagenda.blogspot.com

Witega: "Bishops and Metropolitans and even Patriarchs have been removed under decidedly questionable circumstances before but the Church moves on."
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 03:06:20 AM »

A funny story:
Way back when I was searching for ancient Christianity, I cam across a book written by a group claiming to be a remnant of the Essene Jewish sect which spoke of cleansing one's own (cough!) nether -regions with an elongated gourd full of water as to expel evil spirits which back themselves up within and cause "unspiritual fumes" to emanate forthwith. This was to be done at least weekly IIRC, while prayers of blessing and thanksgiving are recited with incense and the Angels of water and one's own guardian Angel are invoked.

I actually really liked that book as it was my first experience with written prayers recited at certain times of the day... And no, I did not have intimate relations with said gourd.

Wait... I can't believe I fell for this thread!  police

Yup, leave it to us old farts to fall for this gag. Tongue
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »

Maybe there is a practical reason why the deacon censers the entire Church with fragrance several times during Liturgy  Grin

You know that gets nastier if you haven't eaten anything since the night before  Grin Grin Grin

Just wait 'till Great Lent. Beans, lentils, cabbage .... hoy!  Tongue laugh laugh
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2013, 10:42:21 AM »

I dont know of any Church Fathers who mentioned this, but Martin Luther said some pretty hilarious things about this topic.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2013, 11:31:43 AM »

I think the Church Father Pythagoras covered this.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »

I dont know of any Church Fathers who mentioned this, but Martin Luther said some pretty hilarious things about this topic.

Please share.  Luther has some great quotes.  If I didn't care anything for Tradition or the Saints then "even the devil genuflects" alone would make me consider switching allegiances to Berlin.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2013, 11:49:23 AM »

Please share.  Luther has some great quotes.  If I didn't care anything for Tradition or the Saints then "even the devil genuflects" alone would make me consider switching allegiances to Berlin.

This text probably has all Luther said on farting within it:

The Wit of Martin Luther - Eric W. Gritsch

http://books.google.com/books?id=N-NhBJwuw3IC

It came up when I tried to find the infamous quote I only could paraphrase:

"But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away". This is a quote from Martin Luther in the early 16th century.

The blog puts this into its larger context:

I am of a different mind ten times in the course of a day. But I resist the devil, and often it is with a fart that I chase him away. When he tempts me with silly sins I say, “Devil, yesterday I broke wind too. Have you written it down on your list?” …I remind myself of the forgiveness of sin and of Christ and I remind Satan of the abomination of the pope. This abomination is so great that I am of good cheer and rejoice, and I confess that the abomination of the papacy after the time of Christ is a great consolation in me.

http://www.conradaskland.com/blog/2007/04/martin-luther-on-farts/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 11:52:32 AM by orthonorm » Logged

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »

One nice thing about standing on the "bridge" of Eastern Catholicism is that all the various odors go right into the water and don't bother the people on either shore.

As long as they don't drink the water. Did I say too much?  Cool

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Timon
OC.net guru

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2013, 01:14:05 PM »

Google MArtin Luther insulter.

Its a site where you click a button and you get an insulting Luther quote.  Most have to do with farting.

Even if we have thousands of acts of great virtue to our credit, our confidence in being heard must be based on God's mercy and His love for men. Even if we stand at the very summit of virtue, it is by mercy that we shall be saved.

— Chrysostom

BLOG
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2013, 01:24:49 PM »

Google MArtin Luther insulter.

Its a site where you click a button and you get an insulting Luther quote.  Most have to do with farting.

Timon,

A couple of tips.

If you want to share a google search with someone, you can just post the URL you find in browser after you find your search results.

For example, I google:

Code:
martin luther insulter

A URL is generated for that search:

Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MArtin+Luther+insulter&oq=MArtin+Luther+insulter&aqs=chrome.0.57j62.479&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You could just paste that here, but you can easily clean up that URL and it be just as effective.

All you need to share with other is from the https: to the first &. That is the URL for your query.

So editing the above, you get:

Code:
https://www.google.com/search?q=MArtin+Luther+insulter

https://www.google.com/search?q=MArtin+Luther+insulter

Another tip: not everyone's "google" is the same. This is for a lot reasons, most having to do with folks signed into google and google shaping results based on prior queries; however, there are other reasons why search results can vary from "person" to "person".

So if there is a specific site, you want to direct people to, just post that URL rather than giving directions from a google search.

In this case, it doesn't matter. Almost everyone is going to have the site you mentioned returned in their top three result, but in other cases, a site you might be wanting others to find could be buried four pages deep in their results.

FWIW.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 01:25:13 PM by orthonorm » Logged

Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2013, 01:36:26 PM »

If a Muslim farts during prayer he has to perform ablution and repeat the prayer.
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »

On a remotely related note, Daoist monks are discouraged from eating onions and anything else that might make them fart, as farting results in loss of qi.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
That person
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Christian Archdiocese of North America

Long live Commie Superman

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2013, 08:09:34 PM »

I vaguely remember St. Augustine alluding to such, in which context or which writing I don't recall.
City of God XIV 24. He speaks of "[men who] have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at will, so as to produce the effect of singing." He was discussing how pre-Fall, man would have had perfect control over his physical state. That also meant you could get a boner on command.

"Some have such command of their bowels, that they can break wind continuously at pleasure, so as to produce the effect of singing."- St. Augustine of Hippo

Movie reviews you can trust.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2013, 08:14:37 PM »

I think a bigger problem is when you ate three corn dogs and a carnival funnel cake the night before and you have to use the bathroom like six times during Liturgy.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2013, 08:19:24 PM »

On a remotely related note, Daoist monks are discouraged from eating onions and anything else that might make them fart, as farting results in loss of qi.
As does ejaculation and a myriad other things.

That stuff is hard to hold on to.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2013, 08:45:16 PM »

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_6wjEnha9Uf4/TImxLYWqOFI/AAAAAAAABw0/YBNVlmUc1FI/s1600/bull.jpg

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Orthodox11
Archon

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »

I think a bigger problem is when you ate three corn dogs and a carnival funnel cake the night before and you have to use the bathroom like six times during Liturgy.

Probably why the Greeks have a 'no oil after Vespers' rule for those wanting to commune.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: