OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 26, 2014, 04:55:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: French Catholic bishops endorsing homosexual unions  (Read 1495 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:20 PM »

PARIS, January 16, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Conference of the Bishops of France (CEF) is making a mistake in endorsing an improved "Pact of Civil Solidarity" for homosexuals as an alternative to instituting homosexual 'marriage', in contradiction to Catholic teaching, warns the French pro-family association Avenir de la Future (Future of the Culture).

The organization of faithful Catholics are reacting to a document published recently by the Bishops' Conference's Family and Society Committee, which says homosexual relationships could be given a strengthened legal recognition, while not going so far as to equate such unions with marriage.

For those who can read French, the document from the bishops is here.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 01:33:57 PM »

Are they suggesting that such a thing could/should be blessed by the Church?

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:57 PM »

I think they're just saying that such unions should be legally recognized, and such legal recognition need not be resisted by the Church.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
BoredMeeting
Loving the Life of a Council Member
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox/OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 04:30:44 PM »

I think they're just saying that such unions should be legally recognized, and such legal recognition need not be resisted by the Church.
So wading into the cesspool need not be so bad if you stop when it reaches your chin, eh?
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »

So wading into the cesspool need not be so bad if you stop when it reaches your chin, eh?

No. Just accepting the fact that if state does something it doesn't need to affect the Church.

Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »

For those who can't read French (or don't read it, for political/philosophical/gastroenterological reasons), an English translation is here.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Deep Roots
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Catholic

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2013, 06:30:28 PM »

Oh look! Another thread about sex and sexuality!

Peace.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2013, 06:51:21 PM »

PARIS, January 16, 2013 (LifeSiteNews.com) - The Conference of the Bishops of France (CEF) is making a mistake in endorsing an improved "Pact of Civil Solidarity" for homosexuals as an alternative to instituting homosexual 'marriage', in contradiction to Catholic teaching, warns the French pro-family association Avenir de la Future (Future of the Culture).

The organization of faithful Catholics are reacting to a document published recently by the Bishops' Conference's Family and Society Committee, which says homosexual relationships could be given a strengthened legal recognition, while not going so far as to equate such unions with marriage.

Or, perhaps, the French bishops are a bit more grown up that the American ones, and realize the clergy cannot even  pretend any longer they  set the standard for human behavior. Mon Dieu,  I think that happened there over 200 years ago. Time for some bloggers and other internet gurus to learn that too.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 06:53:37 PM by augustin717 » Logged
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:32 PM »

Got,  I think that happened there over 200 years ago. Time for some bloggers and other internet [message board] gurus to learn that too.
fixed

Peace.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2013, 06:52:48 PM »

And btw, the Orthodox bishops of France also endorse same sex unions; they only oppose calling them marriages.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2013, 10:09:38 PM »

Although there are a glorious several dozen pages of 99 bottles of beer on the wall!  Let us not forget those days! 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2013, 07:36:48 AM »

Well, this is about French bishops.

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2013, 07:39:45 AM »

No. Just accepting the fact that if state does something it doesn't need to affect the Church.
The problem is, it always does affect the Church.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2013, 07:40:56 AM »

Or, perhaps, the French bishops are a bit more grown up that the American ones, and realize the clergy cannot even  pretend any longer they  set the standard for human behavior. Mon Dieu,  I think that happened there over 200 years ago. Time for some bloggers and other internet gurus to learn that too.
Agree with me or be called immature...how is that working out for you?
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2013, 07:41:51 AM »

In what particular way does it affect the Church's own work?

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 07:45:44 AM »

I present to you all of the political nightmares Christianity is struggling against in the US.  The state, when allowed to dictate, influences the Church, good or bad, when the Church is not allowed to do the very same thing in return.

I.e., must provide birth control, must allow things taking place inside church walls it doesn't want, etc.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:46:59 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 09:21:40 AM »

While I too groan at yet another sex or sexuality thread there is room for caution. In Europe it is quite common for those who want to push the boundaries to then use European equality laws, if necessary going all the way to The European Court. History suggests simple acceptance today of an innocuous proposal may in time result in consequences beyond the original proposal or in contravention of assurances previously given.

It is perhaps worth contemplating what is driving these social changes, and I suggest this is a Marxist agenda intent on dismantling or replacing current belief systems, institutions and social values. Not that campaigning for these changes are Marxists but, perhaps, might be what Lenin cynically called 'useful fools'.
Nicene
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2013, 06:53:37 PM »

Maybe the pope should use som o dat papal authority against them.

Thank you.
Deep Roots
Elder

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2013, 06:58:25 PM »

It is perhaps worth contemplating what is driving these social changes, and I suggest this is a Marxist agenda intent on dismantling or replacing current belief systems, institutions and social values. Not that campaigning for these changes are Marxists but, perhaps, might be what Lenin cynically called 'useful fools'.
mmmmm Marxism...

Peace.
tetepet

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2013, 05:03:38 AM »

We all know that apart from the Orthodox Church it is only the Catholic Church that does not ignore some obvious instructions of The Bible, so it comes in sad mind to see a Catholic Bishop endorsing homosexuality by negotiating its acceptance in intent to suppress the growth of it. I remember the Pope saying that the modern society is affected by relativity and it shouldn't be so at-least in the Church, so if the Pope knows that the  Church stance should not be changed or affected by modern society then I really don't know whether this Bishop is under the Papal Authority...
Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2013, 07:57:49 AM »

There is a history of French RC bishops acting independently or even contrary to Papal policy.
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Warned
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2013, 11:11:49 PM »

There is a history of French RC bishops acting independently or even contrary to Papal policy.
That's not always a bad thing.......

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
tetepet

Faith: Orthodox Christianity

New convert

@GeeBabaa_
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2013, 07:07:27 AM »

That's not always a bad thing.......

Only when it's in agreement with the Eastern Orthodox Church.
Jetavan
Taxiarches

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2013, 09:15:41 PM »

The Vatican (sort of) supports the French Catholic bishops:

"VATICAN CITY (RNS) A high-ranking Vatican official on Monday (Feb. 4) voiced support for giving unmarried couples some kind of legal protection even as he reaffirmed the Catholic Church’s opposition to same-sex marriage.

Archbishop Vincenzo Paglia, head of the Pontifical Council for the Family, also said the church should do more to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination in countries where homosexuality is illegal.
Paglia suggested that nations could find “private law solutions” to help individuals who live in non-matrimonial relations, “to prevent injustice and make their life easier.”"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2013, 09:16:59 PM by Jetavan » Logged

सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Robb
OC.net guru

Faith: RC
Jurisdiction: Italian Catholic

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2013, 12:08:50 AM »

It actually surprises me that form or secular and little countries msuch as France in the UK Would have much stronger opposition to get a marriage then some of the other more old fashioned natsuch a Spain and Portugal.  Those nations seem to have rolled over and accepted the gay marriage without much resistance

Men may dislike truth, men may find truth offensive and inconvenient, men may persecute the truth, subvert it, try by law to suppress it. But to maintain that men have the final power over truth is blasphemy, and the last delusion. Truth lives forever, men do not.
-- Gustave Flaubert
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: