OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 10:15:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it a sin to hate my job?  (Read 1465 times) Average Rating: 0
fasteddy64

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« on: January 17, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »

I know I should be grateful to have a job, but some days I am absolutely miserable here.
Is it considered to be a sin to feel this way?
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 10:30:51 AM »

We all feel that way, at times.

I'm not sure it's a sin.  We are told to always be content and satisfied with what we have.  However, sometimes if we don't feel unhappy, we won't change things, which we should.

If you are really that dissatisfied, is it possible to find a new job?  Something you like more?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
fasteddy64

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:26 AM »

I wrestle with that idea, but I have nearly 24 years invested here and therefore the pension implications would be quite significant if I were to leave.
I suppose I can suffer through a few more.
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »

I bloody well hope not.
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:09 AM »

Are any others affected by your attitude at work?

I retired from teaching a couple of years early because I was becoming increasingly frustrated with changes in administrative style, to put it kindly. I knew that was beginning to affect my attitude towards my colleagues and towards my students. I chose to get out and not become one of "those teachers who should have retired a year ago, but didn't, just to collect a full pension". I don't regret it - though my bank account does  Smiley.
LBK
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:48:44 AM »

I wrestle with that idea, but I have nearly 24 years invested here and therefore the pension implications would be quite significant if I were to leave.
I suppose I can suffer through a few more.

Speaking from experience, I can quite understand your feelings as expressed. ISTM that you still have a basic liking for the job, and are inherently good at it, but age, wear and tear, and the prevailing management culture is getting you down, robbing you of your love and enjoyment of the work.

Am I close?
fasteddy64

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »

Close LBK.
I have never had a love for this line of work, but I have enjoyed a few aspects of it over the years.
Management/Leadership issues are a problem for me.
Attitudes of coworkers are a problem.
Overall changes in the types of services we now provide are difficult as well.

If I had it to do over again I would have never chose this career path for sure.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:12:00 AM »

Might you look for a different position within the same "company"?

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
fasteddy64

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 01:16:36 PM »

Unfortunately there are very few other positions within this organization, and believe it or not most of them I find even less desirable than my present one!
Time to suck it up and endure!
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 03:26:47 PM »

If you are in a job you hate, why not take advantage of the fact that right now, you have a steady income stream, and launch your own parttime business? I did this a few years ago (started selling used books online); then when I was downsized I just went straight into doing that full-time. It's not easy but there are opportunities out there.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
fasteddy64

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 03:47:00 PM »

If you are in a job you hate, why not take advantage of the fact that right now, you have a steady income stream, and launch your own parttime business? I did this a few years ago (started selling used books online); then when I was downsized I just went straight into doing that full-time. It's not easy but there are opportunities out there.

I suppose it is the allure of a nice pension topped off with a 6 figure lump sum upon retirement at age 56. I feel it is the best interest of my family to stick it out.
LizaSymonenko
Global Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 04:48:37 PM »

Wow!  Retirement at 56!  That's great! Not to mention the cash bonus!

Is there anything YOU can do to make the job better?  I'm sure that if you aren't happy, most likely others aren't happy, either.

Are there any changes you can implement, suggestions you can make, procedure/policy updates, etc. In other words, can you make a change for the positive...that will make you and others happier with this job?

—St. Isaac of Syria
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:13:06 PM »

I'm praying for you man.

I am sad to see that you are miserable at your job, I know what it feels to be in that situation and it must be even harder because of that allure for a great pension and lump sum when you retire.

I don't have any advice, but as far as it being a sin, I think not. But if it causes you to do other sins...

I guess the best thing to do is just remember you have a few more years left and you are in a better situation than a lot of other folks are. I know that doesn't really address the day to day stuff, but when it gets bad just something to remember.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:21:32 PM »

Well, it is kind of ungrateful and somewhat prideful. You should be thankful God has given you a job, whereas there are thousands of people out there who are unemployed and would do anything to have your job. That being said though, no one really likes their job. It's natural to dislike it--we all do from time to time. I hope your situation with your job gets better.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
fasteddy64

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »

Is there anything YOU can do to make the job better?  I'm sure that if you aren't happy, most likely others aren't happy, either.

That is one of the problems. Most of my coworkers are absolutely in love with this job, almost in an unhealthy way IMHO. Little boys (and some big ones) dream of geing firefighters.
Sometimes I almost feel guilty because I dont love it like many do.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 05:43:53 PM »

WORK is a four letter word.  In most cases, it really does not matter how much you like to do something, after you do it long enough it gets old.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »

I suppose it is the allure of a nice pension topped off with a 6 figure lump sum upon retirement at age 56. I feel it is the best interest of my family to stick it out.

Hmm!  OK, then how many more years are we talking about for you, without getting too personal? Because if you're, like, 25 or 30, I'd still say, find something else. But if you're 50 or over, you might want to consider just gutting it out.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
fasteddy64

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 06:45:23 PM »

8 more years, thats what I need to get to the end.

I appreciate the comments and support, thanks for letting me whine folks!
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 06:50:14 PM »

8 more years, thats what I need to get to the end.

I appreciate the comments and support, thanks for letting me whine folks!

Well, that is kind of a long time. My sympathies!  Smiley

I still think starting a small business on the side might at least give you a feeling that you're not 100% depending on the job you hate, and make it a little easier for you to bear. Or maybe a new hobby?  Smiley

augustin717
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 07:04:20 PM »

Better yet hate the system and the bosses. In that God is well pleased.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 07:44:07 PM »

"Brethren, obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you."  Wink

Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 08:23:23 PM »

"Brethren, obey your leaders and submit to them; for they are keeping watch over your souls, as men who will have to give account. Let them do this joyfully, and not sadly, for that would be of no advantage to you."  Wink

Wrong passage.  I can easily obey and submit to someone I hate.  The second sentence also does not apply.  They could not give a rat's behind about my soul or anything else that does not put money in their pockets, and there is no accountability among them.  They are only joyful when they can blame you for something they did, and they are sad any time they have to give you anything, and that includes your paycheck.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
theistgal
Site Supporter
Archon

don't even go there!

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 10:55:01 PM »

I only posted it because it was the epistle this morning and it seemed appropriate.

Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:27:01 PM »

I only posted it because it was the epistle this morning and it seemed appropriate.
Thank you.  Smiley

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2013, 01:15:11 AM »

Do you really HATE it or seriously just dislike it?

Hate is a very strong word.   We can hate evil... We can hate the holocaust for example....

But HATE a job?

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
fasteddy64

« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2013, 08:58:50 AM »

Despise?
Abhor?

Perhaps hate isn't the correct word, but being at work at times makes my pretty miserable. I work 24 hour shifts and they can be excruciating at times.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2013, 10:06:23 AM »

If its a sin, I am in soooo much trouble!

I'm working on 16 1/2 hours and I don't get overtime.  Fun times!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:09:53 AM by Kerdy » Logged
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 11:37:11 AM »

I know I should be grateful to have a job, but some days I am absolutely miserable here.
Is it considered to be a sin to feel this way?

Why should you be grateful for a job? This seems ridiculous to me and utterly puritanical.

And there is nothing wrong, in the moral sense, with being miserable. It is an way of being I find often brought upon by jobs.

I haven't read any of this thread, but I am sure someone has come along and explained to some degree the Orthodox view(s) of sin and how your question about whether a feeling is a sin or not is somewhat of a non-starter.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2013, 11:40:28 AM »

Do you really HATE it or seriously just dislike it?

Hate is a very strong word.   We can hate evil... We can hate the holocaust for example....

But HATE a job?

I promise you more people have hated their jobs than some metaphysical abstraction like evil or some historical abstraction like the Holocaust.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2013, 11:41:27 AM »

Despise?
Abhor?

Perhaps hate isn't the correct word, but being at work at times makes my pretty miserable. I work 24 hour shifts and they can be excruciating at times.

Are you "working" the whole time? Or are just on the ready and able to sleep? If not, that is disgusting.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2013, 11:42:05 AM »

If its a sin, I am in soooo much trouble!

I'm working on 16 1/2 hours and I don't get overtime.  Fun times!

Again, disgusting.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

It's not the job that I hate, but the co-workers and manager that make it unbearable to do my job. And yes that includes being miserable as well.

I believe the problem of suffering is actually inflicted on others by other people. Americans seem to enjoy making other people than themselves suffer.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 09:49:39 PM »

It's not the job that I hate, but the co-workers and manager that make it unbearable to do my job. And yes that includes being miserable as well.

I believe the problem of suffering is actually inflicted on others by other people. Americans seem to enjoy making other people than themselves suffer.
I find nothing I can disagree with in your post.
fasteddy64

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

Despise?
Abhor?

Are you "working" the whole time? Or are just on the ready and able to sleep? If not, that is disgusting.
We are on duty 24 hours. we can sleep, and often do, but sometimes we work a good deal of that time, it just depends. Sometimes a shift where we are not busy is more dificult than one where we are. Just being here, knowing I can leave for 24 is tough.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2013, 09:56:44 PM »

I've taken up a few hobbies because jobs I've had have been horrible.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

When they really get you down, pray for them.  It helps Smiley

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: