OrthodoxChristianity.net
April 23, 2014, 10:40:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The Rules page has been updated.  Please familiarize yourself with its contents!

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Religious Systems  (Read 2970 times) Average Rating: 0
FlickFlack
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2013, 05:02:38 AM »

Anyway you sound like you are in a conflict with yourself.You say you are not fully convinced and that you have doubts yet you force yourself down your throat with this.

At times I feel like that, at times I don't. Good medicine can taste bitter. If in the end it works, it's worth it to endure the bitterness.

There's the old man of the flesh and there's the new man of the spirit. The Christian is supposed to be in a constant struggle with himself, with the world and the adversary. That doesn't exclude joy, peace and serenity - one can actually experience conflicting emotions at the same time, albeit on different levels.  

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin. Romans 7:14- 24

Than you are lying to yourself and living a dead religion.
Are you sure, you're orthodox?

yes.what kind of question is that?

are you an orthodox?

Right here, right now.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2013, 05:13:29 AM »

Anyway you sound like you are in a conflict with yourself.You say you are not fully convinced and that you have doubts yet you force yourself down your throat with this.

At times I feel like that, at times I don't. Good medicine can taste bitter. If in the end it works, it's worth it to endure the bitterness.

There's the old man of the flesh and there's the new man of the spirit. The Christian is supposed to be in a constant struggle with himself, with the world and the adversary. That doesn't exclude joy, peace and serenity - one can actually experience conflicting emotions at the same time, albeit on different levels.  

For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am of the flesh, sold into slavery under sin. I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. Now if I do what I do not want, I agree that the law is good. But in fact it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. For I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh. I can will what is right, but I cannot do it. For I do not do the good I want, but the evil I do not want is what I do. Now if I do what I do not want, it is no longer I that do it, but sin that dwells within me. So I find it to be a law that when I want to do what is good, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God in my inmost self, but I see in my members another law at war with the law of my mind, making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with my mind I am a slave to the law of God, but with my flesh I am a slave to the law of sin. Romans 7:14- 24

are you an orthodox?
I am merely asking because you seem to have some significant objections or at least doubts about Orthodox dogma. I am not saying thataren't orthodox, I am simply clarifying. I'm sorry if it sounded different to you.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
FlickFlack
Moderated

Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« Reply #137 on: January 18, 2013, 06:03:14 AM »

are you an orthodox?
I am merely asking because you seem to have some significant objections or at least doubts about Orthodox dogma. I am not saying thataren't orthodox, I am simply clarifying. I'm sorry if it sounded different to you.

No one is perfect.

Right here, right now.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #138 on: January 18, 2013, 09:35:34 AM »

If I deceive myself (always a possibility), thank God there are others whose living Orthodoxy may quicken me from the dead. 
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #139 on: January 18, 2013, 11:50:11 AM »

eople you can trust, like who, even the church fathers had errors.
The ecumenical counsils, for example.

ok but they are not people.and my next question would be which ones.there are a few "thief councils".

Just out of curiosity, at what point does a group of people (like a council) cease to be "people"?

This is grammar math I like.

Five people are in a room, one leaves.
Then there are four people in a room, one leaves.
Then there are three people in a room, one leaves.
Then there are two people in a room, one leaves.
Then there is one people in a room, one leaves.
Then there are no people in the room.

Gradually fading away on a strict punishment schedule.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2013, 11:51:57 AM »

No one is perfect.

Actually three persons have been perfect, well at least if you are Orthodox.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2013, 11:52:57 AM »

Why is it that I don't see any Orthodox claim to be Spirit filled and guided by the Holy Spirit or anything in Orthodoxy for that matter?

What Who do you think the Paraclete is?

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2013, 11:58:34 AM »

The TOS for following Christ are as they are. Those who don't like them go find a better bargain.

Really? ToS?

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:26 PM »

The TOS for following Christ are as they are. Those who don't like them go find a better bargain.

Really? ToS?

Christianity is just an ancient scheme for selling your personal data to spiritual advertisers.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake

Quote from: Byron
Just ignore iconotools delusions. He is the biggest multiculturalist globalist there is due to his unfortunate background.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #144 on: January 18, 2013, 04:31:24 PM »

No one is perfect.

Are *you* Orthodox?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #145 on: January 18, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »

No one is perfect.

Are *you* Orthodox?

Am I wrong? The is the salient point here not my biography, although I do wax quite often about myself.

Shiny
Site Supporter
Banned
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #146 on: January 18, 2013, 04:38:59 PM »

Really? ToS?

I don't like how you are pushing back.

Buy hey you gotta follow those Christianity rules before using Christ as a service.

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #147 on: January 18, 2013, 04:49:31 PM »

No one is perfect.

Are *you* Orthodox?

Am I wrong? The is the salient point here not my biography, although I do wax quite often about myself.

Does that mean you are Orthodox, or that you are not?  Why is that so difficult?  Salient point?  laugh laugh  When has sticking with the salient point ever bothered anyone, or you?  No, you're not wrong.  But....are you Orthodox?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:59:30 PM by J Michael » Logged

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #148 on: January 18, 2013, 07:28:02 PM »

Really? ToS?

Christianity is just an ancient scheme for selling your personal data to spiritual advertisers.

Then why are you a christian?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #149 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:26 PM »

Really? ToS?

Have you and Sarcasm been introduced?

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #150 on: January 18, 2013, 07:41:07 PM »

Really? ToS?

I AM HE

“God has no religion.”
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #151 on: January 19, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »

Really? ToS?

I AM HE

But do you know yourself?

Anastasia1
My warrior name is Beyoncé Pad Thai
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Occasionally traveling, Armenian.

« Reply #152 on: January 19, 2013, 05:39:13 PM »

@JamesR

The christian God is a feeling.

Admittedly blind post beyond this, but the Christian God is not a feeling but a personal and omnipotent deity. Feelings did not create the world, feelings did not create all of the miracles that have occurred both in scripture and since it's compilation, feelings did not make a virgin pregnant, nor did they die on the cross for our salvation. Feelings can lie, but a structured world that supercedes feelings exists. God is bigger and more than our feelings.

And upon further reading, it has always been my understanding that when we say God is love, we mean that He embodies what love is, not that love necessarily equals God.  Real love should also be more than an emotion. Patience, kindness, not seeking our own, etc. (from 1 Cor. 13) these are not mere emotions but have actions that show them.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 05:44:04 PM by Anastasia1 » Logged

Therefore prepare yourself and arise, and speak to them all that I command you. Do not be dismayed before their faces, Lest I dismay you before them.  For behold, I have made you this day a fortified city and an iron pillar, and bronze walls against the whole land...
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #153 on: January 19, 2013, 08:16:05 PM »

Really? ToS?

What is there to know besides the fact that I am Sarcasm?

I AM HE

But do you know yourself?

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #154 on: January 23, 2013, 01:00:58 PM »

I don't understand why somebody thinks that you can't have a personal relationship with God and still be orthodox. We have thousands of people who have had a personal relationship with God. We don't need to turn all charismatic to do that.

can you name some?

“God has no religion.”
Jetavan
Most Humble Servant of Pan-Vespuccian and Holocenic Hominids
Taxiarches

Faith: Christic
Jurisdiction: Dixie

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #155 on: January 23, 2013, 01:03:46 PM »

I don't understand why somebody thinks that you can't have a personal relationship with God and still be orthodox. We have thousands of people who have had a personal relationship with God. We don't need to turn all charismatic to do that.

can you name some?
St. Seraphim of Sarov

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #156 on: January 23, 2013, 01:08:08 PM »

can you name some?
St Silouan the athonite, St Anthony the Great, St John of Kronstadt, St Xenia of Moscow etc.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Michał Kalina
Stratopedarches

« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2013, 01:21:07 PM »

can you name some?

What is "personal relation with God". You meet Him in a pub and have some beers together or what?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2013, 01:49:54 PM »

can you name some?

What is "personal relation with God". You meet Him in a pub and have some beers together or what?

Well....it's like this...first you exchange cell-phone numbers, *then* you make the pub date.  Grin

Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »

can you name some?

Well....it's like this...first you exchange cell-phone numbers, *then* you make the pub date.  Grin

At least He can always be the designated driver...

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #160 on: January 23, 2013, 03:00:04 PM »

can you name some?

At least He can always be the designated driver...

Only if we let Him  Wink.

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: