OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 21, 2014, 12:09:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Importance of Dogma/Doctrine  (Read 3169 times) Average Rating: 0
FlickFlack
Moderated

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Eastern

Twinkle Twinkle little star

« on: January 17, 2013, 06:14:05 AM »

How important is doctrine and dogma for salvation?How important is doctrine in the economy of salvation?Does one need to have comprehension and belief in all the Church dogmas in order to be saved? As I see dogma always causes divergences and fights, but where there is more tolerance and non-bigotism there is more love.Where is the place of love, peace and harmony in the equation of doctrine?I mean this question in the economy of human interactions and relationships. As I see it love can only exist in a community, communion, in sharing, etc, that is the reason why God is said to be a Trinity and Love, no?What say ye?

Right here, right now.
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 06:51:20 AM »

Do not think I came to bring peace on earth, for I did not come to bring peace but a sword(of doctrin)  Wink
Fabio Leite
Archon

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 08:44:35 AM »

Dogma and doctrine are expression of existential experience of God in the form of verbal structures.

It's as important as saying "I love you" often to those you actually love. The words are not what matter and even shouldn't be said if not really expressing something that is existentially true. Yet, saying them reafirms the experience and prevents errors and miscomunication. Remembering the words is also a way of finding stability in those dark moments of the soul when we loose contact with the existential truth behind them. We don't feel the experience anymore but we remember how it was verbalized and we can trust that. Finally, they can work as a map and ideal for those who have not yet achieved that experience to keep fighting for it, a compass and a horizon that gives us direction. The danger in all that is to think that the words are ends to themselves and not just means. Over-rationalization, idolatry of the human logos is an inherent danger.

Many Energies, Three Persons, Two Natures, One God.
jah777
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 09:11:25 AM »

St. John Chrysostom writes, "And, if we adhere to the true dogmas and are not concerned about our behavior, we will not have any kind of benefit; and in the same way, if we concern ourselves about our behavior and neglect true dogmas, we will receive no benefit for our salvation. If we want to be delivered from Gehenna and to gain the kingdom, we need to be adorned on both sides: correctness of dogmas and honorable living."

Prologue of Ohrid, January 14

In the Orthodox Church are found the true dogmas and the correct way of life leading to salvation.  Those in the Orthodox Church have no excuse for not knowing the true dogmas.  If we know the true dogmas taught by the Church and reject them, then we reject Christ through whom the true dogmas have been revealed.  For those outside of the Orthodox Church, who have neither the true dogmas or the way of salvation, we should pray for them.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 10:31:12 AM »

Do not think I came to bring peace on earth, for I did not come to bring peace but a sword(of doctrin)  Wink

how do you reconcile that with love and happiness?

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 10:33:30 AM »

What is more important a correct living or dogmas?

Right here, right now.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 10:34:39 AM »

Did you not read the quote above by St. John Chrysostom?   Huh

Both are necessary for salvation - the true dogmas and a correct way of life.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 10:37:01 AM »

I don't think there are many who can believe fully all the doctrines of one Church, even the Church with complete acceptance and conviction in their heart.I wonder what is the key to true happiness, spiritual joy?Is anyone living it/experiencing it in here?

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:12 AM »

Did you not read the quote above by St. John Chrysostom?   Huh

Both are necessary for salvation - the true dogmas and a correct way of life.

My friend not even the saints or blessed were perfect in their belief, weren't they now?

Can someone explain the philosophy and psychology of the importance of true and immaculate doctrine?And how can we know what truth is, without a circular reasoning?

Right here, right now.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:42:23 AM »

I don't think there are many who can believe fully all the doctrines of one Church, even the Church with complete acceptance and conviction in their heart.

Countless saints did, and countless other faithful souls living today do.

I wonder what is the key to true happiness, spiritual joy?Is anyone living it/experiencing it in here?

Read as many lives of saints as you can. You'll find the answer there.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

Can someone explain the philosophy and psychology of the importance of true and immaculate doctrine?And how can we know what truth is, without a circular reasoning?

All errors in Christian doctrine ultimately boil down to an imperfect/wrong understanding of what and who Christ is. Philosophy and psychology (particularly the latter!), being human constructs, have little or no value in evaluating Truth, which is a Person, Jesus Christ.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 10:46:05 AM »

I don't think there are many who can believe fully all the doctrines of one Church, even the Church with complete acceptance and conviction in their heart.

I wonder what is the key to true happiness, spiritual joy?Is anyone living it/experiencing it in here?

I need today's examples of living persons(on earth) such as you and I.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »

All errors in Christian doctrine ultimately boil down to an imperfect/wrong understanding of what and who Christ is. Philosophy and psychology (particularly the latter!), being human constructs, have little or no value in evaluating Truth, which is a Person, Jesus Christ.

So how does one discern the truth from lie and how does he get to know the truth?

Right here, right now.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

So how does one discern the truth from lie and how does he get to know the truth?

I see your faith and jurisdiction are eastern Orthodox
Do you belong to a parish?
Do you have a priest?
Do you seek confession and advice from him?
The questions your asking on here are hard to answer in this type of setting.
Can you tell us a little more about yourself?
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 11:01:00 AM »

Do you go to church? Do you keep your eyes and ears open, taking in what the hymns say and the icons depict? Do you talk to your priest or Godparent about the matters you've raised on the forum?
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »

I don't think there are many who can believe fully all the doctrines of one Church, even the Church with complete acceptance and conviction in their heart.I wonder what is the key to true happiness, spiritual joy?Is anyone living it/experiencing it in here?

St. Silouan of Mt. Athos, and many other saints and Fathers, spoke of dogmatic consciousness as a fruit of the ascetic life.  In terms of the Gospels, the Lord said, "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God."  Purity of heart and ceaseless prayer (which go together) lead a person to an experiential knowledge of the dogmatic truths; yet without faith in the true dogmas in the beginning, a person will not be able to live correctly or approach God properly in prayer.  The whole purpose of the dogmas is to reveal to man what he must know in order to live and pray as he should, that he might come to a true and experiential knowledge of God and save his soul.  For examples of lives lived well, and to see the fruit of faithfulness to the true dogmas, we have only to read the lives of the countless saints that have been glorified by God over the past two thousand years.  
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2013, 11:05:32 AM »

Do you go to church? Do you keep your eyes and ears open, taking in what the hymns say and the icons depict? Do you talk to your priest or Godparent about the matters you've raised on the forum?

Yes I go to Church from time to time.My priest doesn't really answer intellectual questions.I thought this was a forum.Is there any problem?And how does that answer my question?

Right here, right now.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 11:11:00 AM »

Do you go to church? Do you keep your eyes and ears open, taking in what the hymns say and the icons depict?

You didn't answer the bolded part.  Wink
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 11:32:04 AM »

Do you go to church? Do you keep your eyes and ears open, taking in what the hymns say and the icons depict?

No, I actually close my eyes and put my headphones ON when that happens.

Right here, right now.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 11:35:14 AM »

How then do you expect to learn what is Truth? Going to church isn't about pleasing your mother.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 11:47:42 AM »

How then do you expect to learn what is Truth? Going to church isn't about pleasing your mother.

I was being sarcastic.

Of course I pay attention to the hymns and the litany.Yet I am not a constant day by day church attendant, not even a sunday by sunday one.

And we are rated the lowest iq country in Europe!Priests here don't answer intelectual questions Cheesy.The majority to which I was weren't expecting these kind of questions and tried to change the subject.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 11:52:34 AM »

@LBK

Yet that was an OFFTOPIC red herring type of thing from your part, than doesn't answer my questions as how one is supposed to discern the truth , WITHOUT circular reasoning and how one gets to conscientize the truth.

And you didn't answer what the psychologies and philosophies of immaculate doctrine are.

Doctrine is a intelectual thing.Psychology and philosophy are things of the mind.Psychology is even a science of the mind.

Right here, right now.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 11:54:03 AM »

St. Silouan of Mt. Athos, and many other saints and Fathers, spoke of dogmatic consciousness as a fruit of the ascetic life.  In terms of the Gospels, the Lord said, "Blessed are the pure in heart for they shall see God."  Purity of heart and ceaseless prayer (which go together) lead a person to an experiential knowledge of the dogmatic truths; yet without faith in the true dogmas in the beginning, a person will not be able to live correctly or approach God properly in prayer.  The whole purpose of the dogmas is to reveal to man what he must know in order to live and pray as he should, that he might come to a true and experiential knowledge of God and save his soul.  For examples of lives lived well, and to see the fruit of faithfulness to the true dogmas, we have only to read the lives of the countless saints that have been glorified by God over the past two thousand years.  

Thanks for your reply.

What is the psychology and philosophy of immaculate doctrine?

Right here, right now.
LBK
Moderated
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 11:55:34 AM »

I was being sarcastic.

Of course I pay attention to the hymns and the litany.Yet I am not a constant day by day church attendant, not even a sunday by sunday one.

And we are rated the lowest iq country in Europe!Priests here don't answer intelectual questions Cheesy.The majority to which I was weren't expecting these kind of questions and tried to change the subject.

Then go looking for a priest who is prepared to answer your questions.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »

What is the psychology and philosophy of immaculate doctrine?

I'd love to answer your question if only I could understand it. What do you mean exactly? What do mean by immaculate doctrine and how can doctrine have a psychology?

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 12:04:51 PM »

I'd be interested to know, first of all, how you are defining "happiness," and why you think that is what faith is supposed to be.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13:20 PM »

I'd be interested to know, first of all, how you are defining "happiness," and why you think that is what faith is supposed to be.

Being blessed in life and satisfied.Having a vivid, sunny colourful life.

Right here, right now.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2013, 12:51:04 PM »

Then you are doomed to disapointment and disillusionment.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

It's always sunny in Philadelphia Smiley(see my jurisdiction)
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2013, 05:18:31 PM »

Some questions are idiotic.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

Faith: On-n-Off
Jurisdiction: OCA (the only truly Canonical American Orthodox Church)

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2013, 05:25:35 PM »

"Brethren, do not be children in understanding--however, in malice be babes. But in understanding be mature."--St Paul (1 Cor 14:20).

A good understanding of doctrine and dogma is important for several reasons. First and foremost, because without any doctrine or dogma, how can you possibly know God? Doctrine and dogma teach us truths about God and help us to come closer to Him, but without it, we have no direction and can easily fall into heresy or dangerous beliefs, since there is no standard to judge things by. I think this is why St. Paul tells us to be mature in understanding. Secondly, I don't think God likes a slacker--and I assume that would mean an intellectual slacker as well.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2013, 10:41:54 PM »

My reference to doctrine as being the sword which causes division was directed towards what you had said about dogma always causing divergences and fights,  how then can we harmonize this?  I would claim that any sound doctrine would always lead to self-emptying, a turning away from self-centered love and happiness seeking, to a self-sacrificing love of the other; a constant willing of the well being of the other even at the expense of ones self.  Any "system", "teaching", "doctrine", "dogma", or "rule" which doesn't have this as its end is useless.  At this point is where the need for doctrinal unified community comes in, where every member finds his own joy and true self in the face of the other.
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2013, 04:08:13 AM »

If dogma is so important why do the Apostles rarely mention any dogmatic declarations within their epistles?

Right here, right now.
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2013, 10:01:50 AM »

If dogma is so important why do the Apostles rarely mention any dogmatic declarations within their epistles?

You clearly don't understand what dogmas are. They existed long before they were defined by the Councils, some of them even in ancient Israel (the unity of God, Creation, Providence, eschatology, prophecy, judgement and retribution, even the resurrection of the dead in later Judaism). The core dogmas of Orthodoxy are all rooted the New Testament - just have a look at the Nicene Creed. The Epistles contain dogmatic declarations, even if they belong to a different genre than the Conciliar horoi. Orthodoxy is defined by St. Vincent of Lerins as that which has been believed in the Church "everywhere, always, by everyone."     
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2013, 10:14:32 AM »

The epistles are replete with teachings that constitute dogma and theology of the Christian faith.  Orthodox Church dogma as such is based on scripture and was propounded by Ecumenical Synods (Councils), after the time of the Apostles.  Church dogma is considered what the church always knew, but had not yet articulated as dogma.

It is my understanding that church dogma, the basic, common understanding of "the faith," is necessary for salvation.  Other of the church's "theological teachings, "theologoumena," are not necessarily required for salvation.  Note the importance of the unity of faith expressed throughout the Divine Services of the Church, we pray for our bishop to "rightly impart the Word of Thy Truth;" "Entreating for the unity of the faith, let us commend ourselves and one another and our whole life unto Christ of God;";" "We have beheld the true light..we have found the true faith, worshiping the divided Trinity..."  What is "Thy truth;"  "the unity of the faith;" what is the "true light," the "true faith?" It is the common understanding and belief of the dogma of the church.

At Baptism we are asked, "Do you believe in him?"  Response: "I believe in him as King and God."  And then, the sponsor or he/she who is to be newly illumined recites the "Symbol of Faith," the Creed, which is dogma propounded by the 1st and 2nd Ecumenical Synods, accepted by the greater church, and ratified by a subsequent Ecumenical Synod; thus it is the "infallible" teaching of the church.

I believe it is in ROCOR's formula, perhaps other of the "Holy Churches," that acknowledgement of acceptance of the teachings of the 7 Ecumenical Synods is part of the formula for the Sacrament of Holy Chrismation.  I recently took the Oath of Office for the Parish Council of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, wherein the oath requires acknowledgement to uphold the "dogma and teachings of the Ecumenical Councils."
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:18:08 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Fotina02

« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2013, 10:50:19 AM »

I need today's examples of living persons(on earth) such as you and I.

Check out the book Everyday Saints-- true stories about living persons. Some stories from the book are posted online.
Thomas
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »

I was being sarcastic.

Then go looking for a priest who is prepared to answer your questions.

If you will go to www.oca.org the website of the Orthodox Churh in America, Fr. John Matusiak  will answer your questions if submitted to him. The answers are posted on their website. This is one of many options available to you to get real answeres from an educated clergyman versus the lay answers we provide on the forum. We would love you to share his response her  with us as well.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »

Because they had already delivered it to them orally assumably at the time that they ministered to them and established the Churches. The epistles just addressed particular issues which arose in the Church at the time. That being said, they still do directly ORDER us to adhere and stand firm to the dogma that they originally delivered to us and not to deviate from it--several times in fact.

"Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle."-2 Thessalonians 2:15

"Brethren, do not be children in understanding--however, in malice be babes. But in understanding be mature."-1 Corinthians 14:20

"Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you."-1 Corinthians 11:2

"But even if we or an Angel from Heaven preach any other Gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be acccursed. As we have said before, now so I say again, if anyone preaches any other Gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed!"-Galatians 1:8-9

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »

Because they had already delivered it to them orally assumably at the time that they ministered to them and established the Churches. The epistles just addressed particular issues which arose in the Church at the time. That being said, they still do directly ORDER us to adhere and stand firm to the dogma that they originally delivered to us and not to deviate from it--several times in fact.

"Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle."-2 Thessalonians 2:15

"Brethren, do not be children in understanding--however, in malice be babes. But in understanding be mature."-1 Corinthians 14:20

"Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered them to you."-1 Corinthians 11:2

"But even if we or an Angel from Heaven preach any other Gospel to you than what we have preached to you, let him be acccursed. As we have said before, now so I say again, if anyone preaches any other Gospel to you than what you have received, let him be accursed!"-Galatians 1:8-9

accursed?!? for another gospel?!? that's not very nice, you might hurt someones feelings.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Protokentarchos

« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »

accursed?!? for another gospel?!? that's not very nice, you might hurt someones feelings.

Oh teh noes!!!11 We might offend the heathen religions. We better brush over the words of the Apostles and like go pray with all them because we all like luv Jesus <3!!!111

/false ecumenistic Evangelical teenage girl

Sinful Hypocrite
Everyday I am critical of others. Every day I make similar mistakes. Every day I am a hypocrite.
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: "The Orthodox Church" by Bishop Kallistos Ware: "We know where the Church is but we cannot be sure where it is not; and so we must refrain from passing judgment on non-Orthodox Christians."

Great googly moogly!

« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2013, 08:01:38 PM »

Do not think I came to bring peace on earth, for I did not come to bring peace but a sword(of doctrin)  Wink

My reference to doctrine as being the sword which causes division was directed towards what you had said about dogma always causing divergences and fights,  how then can we harmonize this?  I would claim that any sound doctrine would always lead to self-emptying, a turning away from self-centered love and happiness seeking, to a self-sacrificing love of the other; a constant willing of the well being of the other even at the expense of ones self.  Any "system", "teaching", "doctrine", "dogma", or "rule" which doesn't have this as its end is useless.  At this point is where the need for doctrinal unified community comes in, where every member finds his own joy and true self in the face of the other.

Here is a comprehensive commentary about that verse(Matthew 10:34) which also seemed to cover other questions here such as ones happiness being fullfilled.

http://bible.cc/matthew/10-34.htm

Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary
10:16-42 Our Lord warned his disciples to prepare for persecution. They were to avoid all things which gave advantage to their enemies, all meddling with worldly or political concerns, all appearance of evil or selfishness, and all underhand measures. Christ foretold troubles, not only that the troubles might not be a surprise, but that they might confirm their faith. He tells them what they should suffer, and from whom. Thus Christ has dealt fairly and faithfully with us, in telling us the worst we can meet with in his service; and he would have us deal so with ourselves, in sitting down and counting the cost. Persecutors are worse than beasts, in that they prey upon those of their own kind. The strongest bonds of love and duty, have often been broken through from enmity against Christ. Sufferings from friends and relations are very grievous; nothing cuts more. It appears plainly, that all who will live godly in Christ Jesus must suffer persecution; and we must expect to enter into the kingdom of God through many tribulations. With these predictions of trouble, are counsels and comforts for a time of trial. The disciples of Christ are hated and persecuted as serpents, and their ruin is sought, and they need the serpent's wisdom. Be ye harmless as doves. Not only, do nobody any hurt, but bear nobody any ill-will. Prudent care there must be, but not an anxious, perplexing thought; let this care be cast upon God. The disciples of Christ must think more how to do well, than how to speak well. In case of great peril, the disciples of Christ may go out of the way of danger, though they must not go out of the way of duty. No sinful, unlawful means may be used to escape; for then it is not a door of God's opening. The fear of man brings a snare, a perplexing snare, that disturbs our peace; an entangling snare, by which we are drawn into sin; and, therefore, it must be striven and prayed against. Tribulation, distress, and persecution cannot take away God's love to them, or theirs to him. Fear Him, who is able to destroy both soul and body in hell. They must deliver their message publicly, for all are deeply concerned in the doctrine of the gospel. The whole counsel of God must be made known, Ac 20:27. Christ shows them why they should be of good cheer. Their sufferings witnessed against those who oppose his gospel. When God calls us to speak for him, we may depend on him to teach us what to say. A believing prospect of the end of our troubles, will be of great use to support us under them. They may be borne to the end, because the sufferers shall be borne up under them. The strength shall be according to the day. And it is great encouragement to those who are doing Christ's work, that it is a work which shall certainly be done. See how the care of Providence extends to all creatures, even to the sparrows. This should silence all the fears of God's people; Ye are of more value than many sparrows. And the very hairs of your head are all numbered. This denotes the account God takes and keeps of his people. It is our duty, not only to believe in Christ, but to profess that faith, in suffering for him, when we are called to it, as well as in serving him. That denial of Christ only is here meant which is persisted in, and that confession only can have the blessed recompence here promised, which is the real and constant language of faith and love. Religion is worth every thing; all who believe the truth of it, will come up to the price, and make every thing else yield to it. Christ will lead us through sufferings, to glory with him. Those are best prepared for the life to come, that sit most loose to this present life. Though the kindness done to Christ's disciples be ever so small, yet if there be occasion for it, and ability to do no more, it shall be accepted. Christ does not say that they deserve a reward; for we cannot merit any thing from the hand of God; but they shall receive a reward from the free gift of God. Let us boldly confess Christ, and show love to him in all things.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 08:04:45 PM by Sinful Hypocrite » Logged

The Lord gathers his sheep, I fear I am a goat. Lord have mercy.

"A Christian is someone who follows and worships a perfectly good God who revealed his true face through the life, death and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.“
William
Protokentarchos

Faith: None

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2013, 11:15:00 PM »

Oh teh noes!!!11 We might offend the heathen religions. We better brush over the words of the Apostles and like go pray with all them because we all like luv Jesus <3!!!111

/false ecumenistic Evangelical teenage girl

You've got your stereotyping wrong. Evangelicals ain't that ecumenistic. Though plenty of mainstream Christians are like that.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant

Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift. - Matt. 5:24
Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2013, 01:48:53 AM »

How important is doctrine and dogma for salvation?  How important is doctrine in the economy of salvation?

This reminded of what something I learned from Vladimir Lossky.

For Orthodox there no separation of dogma and salvation.  It's important to be well grounded in Orthodox dogma if one is to advance in the spiritual life, which is mystical in its nature. 

Does one need to have comprehension and belief in all the Church dogmas in order to be saved?

To 'be saved'?  Only God knows and then I guess we will all know at the final judgement.  Sometimes simplicity is better.  A person doesn't have to be an intellectual to be a saint. 

As I see dogma always causes divergences and fights, but where there is more tolerance and non-bigotism there is more love.Where is the place of love, peace and harmony in the equation of doctrine?I mean this question in the economy of human interactions and relationships. As I see it love can only exist in a community, communion, in sharing, etc, that is the reason why God is said to be a Trinity and Love, no?What say ye?

I can love everyone, but I can't be in everyone's community.  It is not bigoted to be a Christian, to recite the Creed, to live our faith.  Where the Holy Trinity is, there is love.  I say Holy Trinity, because I don't know exactly how that all works between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I am a simpleton. 

The Church defended the dogmas as the truth.  It is the springboard for our life in Christ.  Without it, we could go off anywhere, and we see people do this all the time. 

Here a tidbit from Lossky:

"...Unlike gnosticism, in which knowledge for its own sake constitutes the aim of the gnostic, Christian theology is always in the last resort a means: a unity of knowledge subserving an end which transcends all knowledge.  This ultimate end is union with God or deification, the "Theosis" of the Greek Fathers.  Thus, we are finally led to a conclusion which may seem paradoxical enough: that Christian theory should have an eminently practical significance; and that the more mystical it is, the more directly it aspires to the supreme end of union with God.  All the development of the dogmatic battles which the Church has waged down the centuries appears to us, if we regard it from the purely spiritual standpoint, as dominated by the the constant preoccupation which the Church has had to safeguard, at each moment of her history, for all Christians, the possibility of attaining to the fullness of the mystical union...." 

Velsigne
Elder

« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2013, 04:49:37 AM »

We love everything brilliant on earth:  gold, silver, precious stones, crystal, bright clothing—why, then, do we not love the future glory to which the Lord calls us?  Why do we not aspire to shine like the sun?  Then shall the righteous shine forth as the sun in the kingdom of their Father, (Matt 13:43).  It is because we have perverted the nature of our soul by sin, and have attached ourselves to earth instead of to heaven, to corruptible things instead of to incorruptible ones; because we love earthly, transitory, perishable, and seductive splendor.  But why is there such a love for everything bright in us?  Because our soul was created for heavenly light, and was originally all light, all radiance; thus light is inborn in it, the feeling and desire for light are inborn in it.  Direct this aspiration to seeking for heavenly light!

St. John of Kronstadt, My Life in Christ
FlickFlack
Moderated

« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

How important is doctrine and dogma for salvation?  How important is doctrine in the economy of salvation?

This reminded of what something I learned from Vladimir Lossky.

For Orthodox there no separation of dogma and salvation.  It's important to be well grounded in Orthodox dogma if one is to advance in the spiritual life, which is mystical in its nature. 

If salvation is a state of being, than what you need most is to be.I've met a lot of people including clergy who were well grounded in the letter of the Orthodox dogma but were spiritually unevolved.

Does one need to have comprehension and belief in all the Church dogmas in order to be saved?

To 'be saved'?  Only God knows and then I guess we will all know at the final judgement.  Sometimes simplicity is better.  A person doesn't have to be an intellectual to be a saint. 

There are a lot of Orthodox who know well the letter of Orthodxy, but when you make them explain their faith they are incapable in doing so.They have no comprehension and besides this letter turns them into self-righteous, judgemental, fearful, extremists bigots.

As I see dogma always causes divergences and fights, but where there is more tolerance and non-bigotism there is more love.Where is the place of love, peace and harmony in the equation of doctrine?I mean this question in the economy of human interactions and relationships. As I see it love can only exist in a community, communion, in sharing, etc, that is the reason why God is said to be a Trinity and Love, no?What say ye?

I can love everyone, but I can't be in everyone's community.  It is not bigoted to be a Christian, to recite the Creed, to live our faith.  Where the Holy Trinity is, there is love.  I say Holy Trinity, because I don't know exactly how that all works between the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, I am a simpleton. 

What I am saying is that dogma can and usually stays in the way of human interactions and human love, on tends to give a judgemental flair in human relationships.

The Church defended the dogmas as the truth.  It is the springboard for our life in Christ.  Without it, we could go off anywhere, and we see people do this all the time. 

Here a tidbit from Lossky:

"...Unlike gnosticism, in which knowledge for its own sake constitutes the aim of the gnostic, Christian theology is always in the last resort a means: a unity of knowledge subserving an end which transcends all knowledge.  This ultimate end is union with God or deification, the "Theosis" of the Greek Fathers.  Thus, we are finally led to a conclusion which may seem paradoxical enough: that Christian theory should have an eminently practical significance; and that the more mystical it is, the more directly it aspires to the supreme end of union with God.  All the development of the dogmatic battles which the Church has waged down the centuries appears to us, if we regard it from the purely spiritual standpoint, as dominated by the the constant preoccupation which the Church has had to safeguard, at each moment of her history, for all Christians, the possibility of attaining to the fullness of the mystical union...." 

What will be the criteria of the Judgement : what we believe of God or our human relationships? What is the difference between gnosticism and Christian(Orthodox) theology?

Right here, right now.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: