OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 08:40:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pope's secretary "Gorgeous George" on Vanity Fair cover  (Read 897 times) Average Rating: 0
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« on: January 16, 2013, 12:07:59 PM »

ROME (Reuters) - Archbishop Georg Ganswein, Pope Benedict's private secretary, who has been dubbed "Gorgeous George" by the Italian media, is now a real-life cover boy.

The prelate has landed on the cover of Vanity Fair.

The cover on the Italian edition of the magazine shows the 56-year-old archbishop smiling, his blue eyes beaming, above a headline that reads "Father Georg - It's not a sin to be beautiful."

This will have a detrimental impact upon Catholic-Orthodox dialogue, I think.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 01:05:06 PM »

ROME (Reuters) - Archbishop Georg Ganswein, Pope Benedict's private secretary, who has been dubbed "Gorgeous George" by the Italian media, is now a real-life cover boy.

The cover on the Italian edition of the magazine shows the 56-year-old archbishop smiling, his blue eyes beaming, above a headline that reads "Father Georg - It's not a sin to be beautiful."

I don't have to track everything on the internet down, but I doubt he consented to either an interview or being on the cover.

Oh wait, by reading the article:

A spokeswoman for the magazine said Ganswein was not interviewed for the article and did not pose for the cover photo, which she said was a close-up of an existing picture.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 01:30:51 PM »

That doesn't mean he didn't give consent to be on the cover.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 02:39:56 PM »

I think the fair implication is that he a) had no idea he was going to be on the cover and b) did not give his consent.  He doesn't have to, either.

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 06:27:13 PM »

I think the fair implication is that he a) had no idea he was going to be on the cover and b) did not give his consent.  He doesn't have to, either.

A lazy google shows this stuff has been going for sometime without his consent and he has tried to ignore it primarily. The details of Vanity Fair cover did not come up.

I get a kick out of the loaded nature of the "news" and the comments based on it.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
kijabeboy03
High Elder

"The glory of God is in man fully alive."

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 11:36:57 PM »

I can think of several reasons why dropping the dialogues might be sensible, but random media articles isn't one of them...

"This is the Apostolic Faith, the Orthodox Faith, and the Faith of the Fathers. Having this wonderful treasure, let us preserve it, let us keep it, and let us also use it in such a way that this treasure becomes the victory of Christ in us and in His Church." ~ St. Severus of Antioch ~
Fr.Aidan
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Russian Orthodox Church (ROCOR)

Ds. superbis resistit; humilibus autem dat gratiam

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »

Total non-story about a total non-situation.

But the media will try and try...
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 03:53:54 AM »

But the media will try and try...

Of course it does since people want to read that kind of news. If people didn't they wouldnt try.

Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 05:23:40 AM »

http://news.yahoo.com/popes-secretary-gorgeous-george-vanity-fair-cover-155809170.html

"The magazine calls Ganswein "The George Clooney of St Peter's" and says it dedicated a cover story to honor his recent promotion to the rank of archbishop and as recognition of his growing power in the Roman Catholic Church."

"Vanity Fair said the article about Ganswein was a "close up profile of a particular monsignor"."

Suddenly, Vanity Fair is interested in doing articles on monsignors, instead of Lindsey Lohan, Miley Cyrus, etc? Sure it is ...

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 09:48:13 AM »

Archbishop Georg Gänswein, who served as personal secretary to Pope Benedict XVI for eight years, described the news of the Pope Emeritus’ resignation in February as “an amputation”.
The German weekly suggested that a certain uneasiness exists in Gänswein’s relationship with Pope Francis. “At the beginning of each day, I find myself once again waiting to see what will be different today.”

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 10:04:51 AM »

Bel Giorgio does it again!

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »

Gee, the Archbishop sounds a bit put off and out. Maybe he'd like a posting to a See - perhaps to be the first residential hierarch in Antarctica.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: