OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 31, 2014, 06:16:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St John the Baptist Russian Orthodox Church, Sheppton, PA  (Read 977 times) Average Rating: 5
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

Faith: Melkite Greek-Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Newton

« on: December 10, 2013, 06:02:21 PM »

Not sure whether News is the appropriate forum for this, but it seemed to be the best choice available.

A member of the ByzCath forum spotted this piece in the local Hazleton PA newspaper and brought it to my attention, asking if I knew any more history of the church, beyond that in the article. I thought the subject might also be of interest to some here.

Sheppton Church Could See New Life

A shuttered church could get new life in Sheppton PA. A Russian Orthodox congregation in Mayfield PA bought a historic Russian Orthodox church in Sheppton that closed years ago. They plan to make it usable sometime in the future, possibly, for a Russian Orthodox parish. ... there’s been no services there in more than 20 years. Biros said he and his wife, Ann, purchased the church with the intention of perhaps building a house on the property, but once inside, something told him not to demolish the old church because it was so beautiful.

A posting from the Indiana List on this subject was copied to ByzCath back in 2005, when St John's (ROCOR) Cathedral in Mayfield PA was soliciting funds to assist it in restoring the Sheppton church. I'm not aware that there has been much, if any, publicity about it in the years since.

What background I know is that the church was an OCA parish under the patronage of St John the Baptist. Formed about 1891, it was actually constructed in 1894-95 (cornerstone date is 1895) and reportedly was the first (oldest) parish of what would eventually be the OCA's Diocese of Philadelphia & North East Pennsylvania.

Sometime between Sept 1895 and Sept 1896, a chapter or brotherhood of the Russian American Orthodox Mutual Aid Society (later, the Russian Orthodox Catholic Mutual Aid Society) was formed there. An early, if not it's first, pastor was a Father Miron Wolkay, of blessed memory.

A posting at OCANews suggests that the last priest assigned there was Father (now Archpriest) Joseph Martin, presently Rector of the OCA Cathedral in Wilkes-Barre. Although a listing of Father Martin's pastoral assignments at a 40th anniversary celebration of his ordination didn't include Sheppton, he could easily have served it from another parish, as all of those which he pastored are clustered at distances no more than a half-hour from Sheppton. The church was closed during the time that Metropolitan Herman was  bishop of the NEPA diocese - probably in the mid to late '80s.

A follow-up to the linked article is: here.

Back in 2005, in conjunction with its early efforts to raise funds for the renovation, St John's in Mayfield had some photos of the interior and exterior on its site but, in looking just now, I couldn't locate them. However, if you start here and click to the right, you can see some 25 or so photos of the temple, mainly of the interior, taken in 2007 or 2008.

Many years,

Neil
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:04:06 PM by Irish Melkite » Logged

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

- Melkite Archbishop Joseph (Tawil), of blessed memory
LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2013, 06:07:39 PM »

However, if you start here and click to the right, you can see some 25 or so photos of the temple, mainly of the interior, taken in 2007 or 2008.

Umm, that link doesn't work.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 06:07:55 PM by LBK » Logged
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »

Try again, LBK - I just hit it and it worked fine. It's to a Flickr page. First photo is 2 men in the church doorway.

Many years,

Neil

"Not only is it unnecessary to adopt the customs of the Latin Rite to manifest one's Catholicism, it is an offense against the unity of the Church."

LBK
Warned
Toumarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2013, 06:19:26 PM »

Try again, LBK - I just hit it and it worked fine. It's to a Flickr page. First photo is 2 men in the church doorway.

Many years,

Neil

Weird. I tried several times before I posted, and got an error message. Now it's OK.  Huh
podkarpatska
Merarches

Jurisdiction: ACROD

Pokrov

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2013, 07:00:10 PM »

Many years,

Neil

From Hazleton, is Sheppton towards Frackville and St Clair or towards McAdoo?
Irish Melkite
Information Mongeror
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »

From Hazleton, is Sheppton towards Frackville and St Clair or towards McAdoo?

Sheppton is roughly half-way between Hazleton and Frackville, I'd estimate. As the crow flies (but man can't travel by motorized means), I'd say that Sheppton and McAdoo are probably about parallel to one another.

Many years,

Neil

Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 08:32:08 PM »

I am liking the icons...reminds me of my college parish. 

Still posting.

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2013, 12:48:27 AM »

Thank you for the original post.  What a wonderful story.  "Glory to our God!"

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: