OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 01:48:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: bare essentials for salvation?  (Read 1428 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 15, 2013, 05:39:07 PM »

what are they? In one sentence or less please.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek *and* Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Happy Holidays!

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:08 PM »

The best you can't be ain't enough.

(You asked.)

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:47:31 PM »

To work out your salvation with fear and trembling: through the virtues, sacraments, and ascetic endeavors, in the theanthropic body of Christ, for the love of God and man, and always by the uncreated grace of the thrice-brilliant Lord.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:47:55 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 10:04:28 PM »

The essentials for salvation are the will of God and the will of man. Of course, there are things which follow from both the divine and human will.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 10:05:25 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 10:16:05 PM »

You have to die in a state of grace.

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Melodist
Archon

Faith: The Faith That Established The Universe
Jurisdiction: AOANA

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 10:18:38 PM »

Christ crucified and raised from the dead, love God with all your heart, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

Everything else (prayers, fasting, almsgiving, church attendance, sacraments, etc) is tied into the above.

And FWIW, these are our Fathers too, you know.

Made Perfect in Weakness - Latest Post: The Son of God
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 10:45:40 PM »

The mercy of God as revealed through the Cross and most profoundly experienced in and through the life of His Church.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
LBK
No Reporting Allowed
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 10:49:58 PM »

Ask not what God can do for you, but what you can do to get right with God.
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 10:51:06 PM »

Dostoyevsky's old lady and the turnip parable.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 11:47:19 PM »

There is no "bare essential"--it's the full treatment you need.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 10:53:36 AM »

There is no "bare essential"--it's the full treatment you need.

I know, right?

If my doctor told me, "You have cancer. We need to start a thorough treatment regimen of chemotherapy, medication and radiation in order to save your life."
Would I say, "but what's the bare minimum?"

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

There's only one thing you really need....and that is faith.

"Thy faith hath saved thee."  Luke 7:50

If you have faith, everything else will fall in to place....you will yearn for the Sacraments, yearn to learn more about God, and yearn to please Him...and never give up.  Repent and rejoice!

From the Holy Fathers:

A brother confessed to Abba Sisoes.
"I fell, Father. What am I to do now?"
"Get up," said the Holy Elder, with his usual simplicity.
"I got up, Abba, but I fell into that cursed sin again," the brother confessed with great sorrow.
"And what's stopping you from getting up again?"
"For how long?" the brother replied.
" Until death finds you either falling or rising. It is written, "wherever I find you there shall I judge you" the Elder explained. Only pray to God that during your last moment you will be found upright in holy repentance."

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »

Christ crucified and raised from the dead, love God with all your heart, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.

Everything else (prayers, fasting, almsgiving, church attendance, sacraments, etc) is tied into the above.

do you mean they are only a plus?

“God has no religion.”
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 12:55:47 PM »

do you mean they are only a plus?

No. I mean that if you love God, you will want to pray, you will want to fast, you will want to go to church, you will want the sacraments, you will want to worship Him according the truth of Who He is. And you will recognize His image and likeness in your neighbor and treat them like such. Someone who loves God asks "what can I do to express my love for God and draw closer to Him", not "what's the bare minimum I can get away with" or "how can I get out of doing this".

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 02:17:14 PM »

Someone who loves God asks "what can I do to express my love for God and draw closer to Him", not "what's the bare minimum I can get away with" or "how can I get out of doing this".

Exactly! Well said.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Merarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2013, 03:09:38 PM »

Love God with all your heart, soul, and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself.  Hmm.  Sounds kinda familiar.  I think someone else said this once... 

Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2013, 10:38:51 PM »

I think the bare essential for salvation is on judgment God saying that you are going to be in Heaven with him.

Smiley

Too many variables on the others stuff, and we don't know exactly how it stacks up to get the "merit badge".

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13:08 PM »

alright. here we go.
what are the two most important things for me to do to make myself likable to God? If I can do more I will. But I want to know the 2 most important thngs. The 2 most mandatory things. Any suggestion?

“God has no religion.”
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:37 PM »

what are the two most important things for me to do to make myself likable to God? If I can do more I will. But I want to know the 2 most important thngs. The 2 most mandatory things. Any suggestion?

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2013, 12:38:54 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

Now we're talking. Thank you.

“God has no religion.”
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2013, 12:46:07 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

Uh-huh. And how does that work out in our real everyday life? Do we really do much of either one?

St. John Chrysostom
Ashman618
High Elder

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2013, 01:13:20 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

Uh-huh. And how does that work out in our real everyday life? Do we really do much of either one?

I don't even know how to go about starting to be honest
Melodist
Archon

« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2013, 01:28:37 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

So...

What is Christian love and how is it expressed toward God and neighbor?

tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

people who truly do won't tell you. It's between them and God. People who don't. Will start bragging to get you to think good things about them.

“God has no religion.”
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2013, 01:41:58 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

I don't know. Do you?

“God has no religion.”
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »

1. Love God.

2. Love your neighbor.

So...

What is Christian love and how is it expressed toward God and neighbor?

Exactly. That's the rub, isn't it?

St. John Chrysostom
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »

So far I don't see any wrong answers here.

Selam

"There are two great tragedies: one is to live a life ruled by the passions, and the other is to live a passionless life."
Selam, +GMK+
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2013, 05:29:04 PM »

So far I don't see any wrong answers here.

Selam

High praise, indeed!  Grin

St. John Chrysostom
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 12:35:36 AM »

"However [important] prayer, fasting, vigils and all the other Christian practices may be, they do not constitute the aim of our Christian life. Although it is true that they serve as the indispensable means of reaching this end, the true aim of our Christian life consists of the acquisition of the Holy Spirit of God. As for fasts, and vigils, and prayer, and almsgiving, and every good deed done for Christ's sake, are the only means of acquiring the Holy Spirit of God. Mark my words, only good deeds done for Christ's sake brings us the fruits of the Holy Spirit."

-- St. Seraphim of Sarov, Source
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:18 AM »

Baptism and Chrismation, of course, acceptance of the Orthodox Christian faith as stated in its dogma propounded by the Ecumenical Synods (Councils), regular participation in the Divine Services of the Church, especially the Divine Liturgy, sincere effort to follow the 10 Commandments, regular participation in the required sacraments of the church, and observance of the Church Calendar along with following the practices, the spiritual exercises, of the church.  In short, believe and live the life of an Orthodox Christian.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 01:36:39 AM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2013, 07:49:07 PM »

"However [important] prayer, fasting, vigils and all the other Christian practices may be, they do not constitute the aim of our Christian life. Although it is true that they serve as the indispensable means of reaching this end, the true aim of our Christian life consists of the acquisition of the Holy Spirit of God. As for fasts, and vigils, and prayer, and almsgiving, and every good deed done for Christ's sake, are the only means of acquiring the Holy Spirit of God. Mark my words, only good deeds done for Christ's sake brings us the fruits of the Holy Spirit."

-- St. Seraphim of Sarov, Source

The aim is what I am interested in. Not suggestions about how to reach that aim. I will worry about suggestions after i find out what exactly christianity is all about. I so far have no idea.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 07:51:42 PM by tweety234 » Logged

“God has no religion.”
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2013, 07:51:31 PM »

I would say certainly that counts, yes. As for others, there is first of all cultivating some of the many virtues: Love, Goodness, Peace, Mercy, Longsuffering, Patience, Impartiality, Compassion, Generosity, Faith, Vigilance, Chastity, Stillness, and Zeal, Remembrance of God, Humility, Gentleness, Meekness, Temperance, Sincerity, Reticence, Discretion, Modesty, Simplicity, Sobriety, and Discernment.

As for spiritual practices, there are: prayer, alms, fasting, vigils, sleeping on floor, Bible reading, Church Father reading, spiritual reading, eating plain food, limiting entertainment, meditation/stillness, church attendance.

And of course there are the sacraments.
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2013, 07:55:02 PM »

Baptism and Chrismation, of course, acceptance of the Orthodox Christian faith as stated in its dogma propounded by the Ecumenical Synods (Councils), regular participation in the Divine Services of the Church, especially the Divine Liturgy, sincere effort to follow the 10 Commandments, regular participation in the required sacraments of the church, and observance of the Church Calendar along with following the practices, the spiritual exercises, of the church.  In short, believe and live the life of an Orthodox Christian.

Sounds like jail and punishment to me.

“God has no religion.”
Peacemaker
Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2013, 08:32:46 PM »

There are none, none that our wretched mind can even imagine. It is completely up to God, making a list or thinking of essentials is pointless because when we do that, we try to bring God down to our level and that could never happen.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:33:40 PM by Peacemaker » Logged

"If you die before you die, you will not die when you die"
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2013, 08:39:13 PM »

There are none, none that our wretched mind can even imagine. It is completely up to God, making a list or thinking of essentials is pointless because when we do that, we try to bring God down to our level and that could never happen.

Thank you. I needed to hear that. Thank you.

“God has no religion.”
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2013, 08:46:28 PM »

alright. here we go.

First of all, God already likes you, so I don’t really understand this part.  But, to answer your question:

1) Die to self
2) Live for God
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 08:50:47 PM »

alright. here we go.

First of all, God already likes you, so I don’t really understand this part.  But, to answer your question:

1) Die to self
2) Live for God

how do you know that he likes me? Has he told you that? He never told me.

“God has no religion.”
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 08:56:32 PM »

Dostoyevsky's old lady and the turnip parable.
That was an onion bro.

YES IT MATTERS BECAUSE THE ONION REPRESENT THE LAYERS OF THE WOMAN'S SELFISHNESS.

lol turnip. jk
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 08:56:42 PM by Achronos » Logged

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Kerdy
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 09:06:53 PM »

alright. here we go.

First of all, God already likes you, so I don’t really understand this part.  But, to answer your question:

1) Die to self
2) Live for God

how do you know that he likes me? Has he told you that? He never told me.
And here I thought you read the bible.  God loves everyone.  Keep the snarky comments at bay if you desire a serious discussion.  If I took your comment the wrong way, I apologize, but it does seem snarky.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 09:07:41 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: