OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:33:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: English text of Coptic Liturgy?  (Read 949 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 15, 2013, 04:57:12 PM »

Does anyone have an english text of the Coptic liturgy? Or one that has English & Coptic?

Also, are there videos of Oriental Liturgies online? I found one titled "The Coptic Orthodox Divine Liturgy in English Complete" but I have no idea if it is the typical liturgy in the Coptic Church.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:02:42 PM by 88Devin12 » Logged
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 05:09:18 PM »

Does anyone have an english text of the Coptic liturgy? Or one that has English & Coptic?

Also, are there videos of Oriental Liturgies online? I found one titled "The Coptic Orthodox Divine Liturgy in English Complete" but I have no idea if it is the typical liturgy in the Coptic Church.

Here's a PDF version of the Coptic Liturgy of St. Gregory the Theologian.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 05:13:16 PM »

Form what I also read about the Liturgy of St. Cyril/Mark, is it just the case that St. Basil's is followed except for the parts where St. Cyril & St. Gregory differ with it?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 05:27:57 PM »

In fact, this website has all three liturgies we use:

http://www.copticchurch.net/topics/liturgy/

As for videos, well, I believe there are plenty.  Usually what you might have seen, if that's all is said, is probably St. Basil's Coptic liturgy.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 05:31:57 PM »

As for videos, well, I believe there are plenty.  Usually what you might have seen, if that's all is said, is probably St. Basil's Coptic liturgy.

What designates which Liturgy is used?
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:35:36 PM »

As for videos, well, I believe there are plenty.  Usually what you might have seen, if that's all is said, is probably St. Basil's Coptic liturgy.

There is really no official rule or canon to use which liturgy when or how.  However, what is usually the custom is that St. Basil's liturgy is used on most regular days, St. Gregory's liturgy is used on great feast days (Nativity, Theophany, Resurrection, etc.), and St. Cyril's liturgy is used in Great Lent or the Feasts of St. Mark and St. Cyril.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:36:42 PM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
88Devin12
Warned
Protokentarchos

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:41:36 PM »

As for videos, well, I believe there are plenty.  Usually what you might have seen, if that's all is said, is probably St. Basil's Coptic liturgy.

There is really no official rule or canon to use which liturgy when or how.  However, what is usually the custom is that St. Basil's liturgy is used on most regular days, St. Gregory's liturgy is used on great feast days (Nativity, Theophany, Resurrection, etc.), and St. Cyril's liturgy is used in Great Lent or the Feasts of St. Mark and St. Cyril.

Okay, and so to my other question, according to the texts you showed me, they follow St. Basils in some parts, and replace parts of it with either St. Gregory's or St. Cyril. Is this correct?
minasoliman
Section Moderator
Toumarches

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »

Okay, and so to my other question, according to the texts you showed me, they follow St. Basils in some parts, and replace parts of it with either St. Gregory's or St. Cyril. Is this correct?
Yes, many priests they do that, although technically that shouldn't be done, usually just a Gregorian anaphora is said, with everything else being Basilian.  As for St. Cyril, it is a completely different organization, and I can't see how one can mix and match the other liturgies with it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:11:31 PM by minasoliman » Logged

gypsyjohn

Faith: british orthodox
Jurisdiction: british gypsy

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 10:54:58 AM »

The mission of ST Andrew  in windsor, Uk will be meeting this
 Saturday at 9:30am, February 22nd at

St Andrew's Church of England
 Mill Lane,
Windsor,
Berkshire
 SL4 5JH
All are welcome please tell people you think would be interested.Orthodox Liturgy OF ST JAMES in english will be used.
Father Peter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: British Orthodox Church within the Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 03:50:45 PM »

Good man! gypsyjohn

Lord have mercy upon me a sinner
http://www.orthodoxmedway.org

My blog - http://anorthodoxpriest.blogspot.co.uk

The poster formerly known as peterfarrington
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up