OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 07:20:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does God Want You To Be Healthy?  (Read 506 times) Average Rating: 0
What is the Light

Faith: Trying to figure my religion out
Jurisdiction: Don't have one

« on: January 15, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »

Does God want you to be healthy?

I don't mean healthy in a way that would distract you from God, or causes you to have an enlarged ego.

But eating a bacon cheeseburger everyday with no exercise does not seem like a good idea. It seems kind of like suicide in a way if it is extreme enough.

What are your opinions and insights?
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

I don't mean healthy in a way that would distract you from God, or causes you to have an enlarged ego.

But eating a bacon cheeseburger everyday with no exercise does not seem like a good idea. It seems kind of like suicide in a way if it is extreme enough.

I can answer for myself only. He definitely doesn't want me to be healthy, otherwise I would be healthy Smiley
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »

I can answer for myself only. He definitely doesn't want me to be healthy, otherwise I would be healthy Smiley

Lmao, humans gotta love um
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »

Well I'm alive and that's all that matters. However I am right now, I can still serve Him, so it doesn't matter. Oftentimes, I find myself wishing I was not healthy and will live a short life--opposed to living a long life of religious toil. But, knowing how God usually never gives me what I want but gives me the exact opposite (probably for my Salvation) I'm sure I'll end up living to be like 100 years old or something.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »

Lmao, humans gotta love um

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »

Well I'm alive and that's all that matters. However I am right now, I can still serve Him, so it doesn't matter. Oftentimes, I find myself wishing I was not healthy and will live a short life--opposed to living a long life of religious toil. But, knowing how God usually never gives me what I want but gives me the exact opposite (probably for my Salvation) I'm sure I'll end up living to be like 100 years old or something.

I wish you next methusala.

“God has no religion.”
Hinterlander
Site Supporter
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

When I was unhealthy it was because I lacked lack self-control and was a poor steward of money and time.  

I wouldn't make the suicide connection.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:00:55 PM by Hinterlander » Logged
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »

well, what do you think? do we want our children, nieces/nephews sick? No. Therefore if we the wicked ones, want our kids to be safe, sound and healthy. Why do you think the Holy One doesn't want the same, or even better for his creatures?

“God has no religion.”
Ashman618
High Elder

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »

When I was unhealthy it was because I lacked lack self-control and was a poor steward of money and time.  

I wouldn't make the suicide connection.

It seems in you case self inflicted bad health led to godly sorrow and repentance, it seems then to me that somehow, being unhealthy can be a blessing.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Leave that no-account Oogie-Boogie out of this!

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »

God wants us to respect the bodies He has gifted us with, and refrain from all that abuses or debases them. Most of the causes of preventable illness can be traced back to us failing to do just that.

On the other hand, God allows His faithful to be tried, and illness is certainly a trial, both for the patient and the people around them. Dealing with pain and limitations, even facing mortality, can put things in perspective much more effectively than theoretical talk.

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »

Bring the body into submission!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »

1 Corinthians 6

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

If your body is God's, you are the steward of the body.  It's his holy temple.  I think he'd want a healthy holy temple.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
orthonorm
Warned
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »

God wants us to respect the bodies He has gifted us with, and refrain from all that abuses or debases them. Most of the causes of preventable illness can be traced back to us failing to do just that.

Question.

Begged.

Causation.

Correlation.

No.

Proof.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
vasnTearn

Jurisdiction: Armenian Apostolic Orthodox Church

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »

And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2 Corinthians 12:7

Some understood this thorn as being some kind of illness. Lopukhov's "Tolkovaya Biblia" considers this interpretation to be the most acceptable. Also Archbishop Stylianos of Australia understands so as one can see in the following article:
http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/stylianos_angel_of_satan.htm

Many saints were suffering from illnesses, for example, St Gregory the Theologian. The Church Fathers sometimes equal the suffering from illnesses with patience and gratitude to martyrdom.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:24:29 PM by vasnTearn » Logged
tweety234
High Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »

1 Corinthians 6

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

If your body is God's, you are the steward of the body.  It's his holy temple.  I think he'd want a healthy holy temple.

indeed. But some people can't conceive such things.

“God has no religion.”
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »

Health is a gift from God. And sickness can also be a gift, if we accept it with patience and faith.

We should do what we can to take care of our health, but not go so far as to make an idol of it or to judge others for things they do which we perceive as unhealthy. I, for example, should not be eating a bacon cheeseburger every day, but someone else may actually need to do so for the sake of their health.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »

Question.

Begged.

Causation.

Correlation.

No.

Proof.

Don't be so legalistic.  Wink

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
xariskai
юродивый/yurodivy
OC.net guru

יהוה עזי ומגני

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »

Does anyone know the source of the following quotation attributed to Augustine?

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever; and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."

Silly Stars
Tags: health  God's Will 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: