Author Topic: Does God Want You To Be Healthy?  (Read 600 times)

Offline What is the Light

Does God Want You To Be Healthy?
« on: January 15, 2013, 04:40:26 PM »
Does God want you to be healthy?

I don't mean healthy in a way that would distract you from God, or causes you to have an enlarged ego.

But eating a bacon cheeseburger everyday with no exercise does not seem like a good idea. It seems kind of like suicide in a way if it is extreme enough.

What are your opinions and insights?

Offline vasnTearn

Re: Does God Want You To Be Healthy?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 04:47:03 PM »

I don't mean healthy in a way that would distract you from God, or causes you to have an enlarged ego.

But eating a bacon cheeseburger everyday with no exercise does not seem like a good idea. It seems kind of like suicide in a way if it is extreme enough.

I can answer for myself only. He definitely doesn't want me to be healthy, otherwise I would be healthy :)

Offline Ashman618

• High Elder
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 04:49:55 PM »

I can answer for myself only. He definitely doesn't want me to be healthy, otherwise I would be healthy :)

Lmao, humans gotta love um

Offline JamesR

• Virginal Chicano Blood
  • Taxiarches
  • St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!
  • Faith: Misotheistic Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:59 PM »
Well I'm alive and that's all that matters. However I am right now, I can still serve Him, so it doesn't matter. Oftentimes, I find myself wishing I was not healthy and will live a short life--opposed to living a long life of religious toil. But, knowing how God usually never gives me what I want but gives me the exact opposite (probably for my Salvation) I'm sure I'll end up living to be like 100 years old or something.
...Or it's just possible he's a mouthy young man on an internet forum.
In the infinite wisdom of God, James can be all three.

Offline tweety234

• High Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:54:26 PM »

Lmao, humans gotta love um

hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!
“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

Offline tweety234

• High Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM »
Well I'm alive and that's all that matters. However I am right now, I can still serve Him, so it doesn't matter. Oftentimes, I find myself wishing I was not healthy and will live a short life--opposed to living a long life of religious toil. But, knowing how God usually never gives me what I want but gives me the exact opposite (probably for my Salvation) I'm sure I'll end up living to be like 100 years old or something.

I wish you next methusala.
“God has no religion.”

Offline Hinterlander

• Site Supporter
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Protestant By Technicality
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
When I was unhealthy it was because I lacked lack self-control and was a poor steward of money and time.  

I wouldn't make the suicide connection.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 05:00:55 PM by Hinterlander »

Offline tweety234

• High Elder
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:52 PM »
well, what do you think? do we want our children, nieces/nephews sick? No. Therefore if we the wicked ones, want our kids to be safe, sound and healthy. Why do you think the Holy One doesn't want the same, or even better for his creatures?
“God has no religion.”

Offline Ashman618

• High Elder
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
When I was unhealthy it was because I lacked lack self-control and was a poor steward of money and time.  

I wouldn't make the suicide connection.

It seems in you case self inflicted bad health led to godly sorrow and repentance, it seems then to me that somehow, being unhealthy can be a blessing.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Off to see the wizard!
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 05:30:20 PM »
God wants us to respect the bodies He has gifted us with, and refrain from all that abuses or debases them. Most of the causes of preventable illness can be traced back to us failing to do just that.

On the other hand, God allows His faithful to be tried, and illness is certainly a trial, both for the patient and the people around them. Dealing with pain and limitations, even facing mortality, can put things in perspective much more effectively than theoretical talk.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Justin Kissel

• •|•|•
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Bring the body into submission!
"My doubt in Christ is not like that of a child; it was forged in a furnace of faith." - Dostoevsky

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2013, 06:08:07 PM »
1 Corinthians 6

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

If your body is God's, you are the steward of the body.  It's his holy temple.  I think he'd want a healthy holy temple.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:55:29 PM »
God wants us to respect the bodies He has gifted us with, and refrain from all that abuses or debases them. Most of the causes of preventable illness can be traced back to us failing to do just that.

Question.

Begged.

Causation.

Correlation.

No.

Proof.
Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.

Offline vasnTearn

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2013, 07:20:17 PM »
And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
2 Corinthians 12:7

Some understood this thorn as being some kind of illness. Lopukhov's "Tolkovaya Biblia" considers this interpretation to be the most acceptable. Also Archbishop Stylianos of Australia understands so as one can see in the following article:
http://www.orthodoxresearchinstitute.org/articles/dogmatics/stylianos_angel_of_satan.htm

Many saints were suffering from illnesses, for example, St Gregory the Theologian. The Church Fathers sometimes equal the suffering from illnesses with patience and gratitude to martyrdom.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 07:24:29 PM by vasnTearn »

Offline tweety234

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2013, 09:09:28 PM »
1 Corinthians 6

19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

If your body is God's, you are the steward of the body.  It's his holy temple.  I think he'd want a healthy holy temple.

indeed. But some people can't conceive such things.
“God has no religion.”

Offline Shanghaiski

• Taxiarches
  • Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2013, 09:56:07 PM »
Health is a gift from God. And sickness can also be a gift, if we accept it with patience and faith.

We should do what we can to take care of our health, but not go so far as to make an idol of it or to judge others for things they do which we perceive as unhealthy. I, for example, should not be eating a bacon cheeseburger every day, but someone else may actually need to do so for the sake of their health.
Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.

Offline domNoah

• Alleluia AudioBooks
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2013, 10:17:30 PM »

Question.

Begged.

Causation.

Correlation.

No.

Proof.

Don't be so legalistic.  ;)
The true story of the sword in the stone
http://tinyurl.com/l98rcxp

Ancient Eucharistic Miracles (East and West)
http://tinyurl.com/mnpg8og

St Anthony the Great War on demons
http://tinyurl.com/k7zcycx

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/

Offline xariskai

• юродивый/yurodivy
  • OC.net guru
  • יהוה עזי ומגני
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2013, 10:31:47 PM »
Does anyone know the source of the following quotation attributed to Augustine?

"Take care of your body as if you were going to live forever; and take care of your soul as if you were going to die tomorrow."