OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 21, 2014, 09:43:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what does the bible say about the toll houses?  (Read 1876 times) Average Rating: 0
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:31 PM »

did jesus speak about them?

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
choy
Archon

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:27:02 PM »

The only time He spoke about tolls was when he said to render to Caesar what is Caesar's.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:30:08 PM »

NVM!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 09:30:27 PM by Asteriktos » Logged

Large Marge sent me...
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 09:33:03 PM »

tollhouses are cookies. 

peacenprayer

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOMT

ting ting ting

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 09:51:43 PM »

Not a thing.

Chanter, Blacksmith, Tailor, Captain of the Guard. ...I made the last one up.
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 10:05:25 PM »

tollhouses are cookies. 

The shortbread ones. I like them.

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:57:22 PM »

Not very much to be honest. On the other hand though, most of the Fathers do in fact speak of some period of judgment and/or possible purification during the period between our death and the Resurrection--however, the modern toll-house theory is overkill and seems very heretical. Some of the main issues I have with it is that it seems to undermine God's Grace--we are all alone and have to stand amongst a feud between Angels and Demons without any way of truly pleading unto God Himself before being condemned. It's like the entire concept of Grace and forgiveness just disappears. Secondly, it assumes that God would permit demons to judge us--but that goes against everything else in the faith. God is the only judge. So that being said, I think it is fair to say that during the period between our death and Resurection, something probably will happen involving judgment, but I think that God will be more involved in it and that the tollhouse theory is overkill.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 11:25:04 PM »

Not very much to be honest. On the other hand though, most of the Fathers do in fact speak of some period of judgment and/or possible purification during the period between our death and the Resurrection--however, the modern toll-house theory is overkill and seems very heretical. Some of the main issues I have with it is that it seems to undermine God's Grace--we are all alone and have to stand amongst a feud between Angels and Demons without any way of truly pleading unto God Himself before being condemned. It's like the entire concept of Grace and forgiveness just disappears. Secondly, it assumes that God would permit demons to judge us--but that goes against everything else in the faith. God is the only judge. So that being said, I think it is fair to say that during the period between our death and Resurection, something probably will happen involving judgment, but I think that God will be more involved in it and that the tollhouse theory is overkill.

I agree.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
tweety234
High Elder

Faith: Ask the Answer
Jurisdiction: Greek

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 02:33:55 PM »

NVM!
Please speak your mind asteriktos?
if you don't want to do it publically. Send me pm. But i want to hear you.

“God has no religion.”
― Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »

Nothing I've ever seen or heard of.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2013, 03:55:48 PM »

The Bible speaks of the first & final judgments, but it is the Church Fathers who explained more:

-State of the Soul After Death According to the Teachings of Saint John Damascene
-Our War is not Against Flesh and Blood (On the Question of the "Toll-Houses") by Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky
-Life After Death: A Description of the First 40 Days After Death by Saint John Maximovitch

To take the toll houses as literal toll houses are going too far, but this describes howe the demons accuse us, as lawyers, just like our guardian angel defends us, but God alone judges us.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2013, 04:41:34 PM »

The Bible speaks of the first & final judgments, but it is the Church Fathers who explained more:

-State of the Soul After Death According to the Teachings of Saint John Damascene
-Our War is not Against Flesh and Blood (On the Question of the "Toll-Houses") by Protopresbyter Michael Pomazansky
-Life After Death: A Description of the First 40 Days After Death by Saint John Maximovitch

To take the toll houses as literal toll houses are going too far, but this describes howe the demons accuse us, as lawyers, just like our guardian angel defends us, but God alone judges us.

The conclusion of the first essay makes it sound as if toll houses were a doctrine of the Church and accepted throughout Orthodoxy--which they are not, afaik.  I've always been led to believe that they are but a theologoumenon.

Be that as it may, the fact of the matter is that the Bible says nothing about them, which is the original question.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Alveus Lacuna
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2013, 05:15:59 PM »

Satan is called the Prince of the Power of the Air, in reference to demonic aerial powers:

Ephesians 2:1-3

And you hath he quickened, who were dead in trespasses and sins;

Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:16:22 PM by Alveus Lacuna » Logged
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »

Jesus toll Lazarus to get up and walk.

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 05:55:42 PM »

The toll-houses don't bother me, the only thing about them that bothers me is the concept that Angels and Demons will be the ones to judge me. The fact that God seems so distant in this concept is frightening to me, and it seems like the concept of Angels/Demons judging me undermines the mercy of God. If demons and angels want to tempt me, take me to all these places and accuse me and all this crap, I don't mind, but is it so much to ask for that God judges me and not them?

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2013, 05:59:55 PM »

That was such a baud joke I thought it might be my internet connection  Kiss

Large Marge sent me...
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2013, 06:14:03 PM »

The toll-houses don't bother me, the only thing about them that bothers me is the concept that Angels and Demons will be the ones to judge me. The fact that God seems so distant in this concept is frightening to me, and it seems like the concept of Angels/Demons judging me undermines the mercy of God. If demons and angels want to tempt me, take me to all these places and accuse me and all this crap, I don't mind, but is it so much to ask for that God judges me and not them?

That is the thing, the demons and angels are more like lawyers, not judges.

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 01:58:15 PM »

God's judgement is the only one that counts.  And don't worry---He *will* judge you.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 01:58:52 PM by J Michael » Logged

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2013, 02:19:26 PM »

How interesting that this article didn't even cite one of the acknowledged works of St. John of Damascus.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2013, 07:33:49 PM »

Where did this idea originate that demons and angels take this role after death?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 07:33:57 PM by Wyatt » Logged
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2013, 07:54:24 PM »

Where did this idea originate that demons and angels take this role after death?

According to some it was gnosticism. According to others it was stories from the medieval church. According to still others it was always taught by the Church. I have to say, if it's this last one, well then that's a fine example of development of doctrine that we Orthodox have there  angel

Large Marge sent me...
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2013, 11:24:23 PM »

God's judgement is the only one that counts.  And don't worry---He *will* judge you.

I'm actually looking forward to His judgment; it'll finally be the moment when I can apologize and maybe learn something about how I lived my life.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »

I'm actually looking forward to His judgment; it'll finally be the moment when I can apologize and maybe learn something about how I lived my life.

The time to "apologize", i.e., to repent, is **before** the Judgment.  Pay close attention to what you do and say and think moment to moment (as much as you are able), and you'll learn something about how you are living your life *now*.

minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2013, 01:26:25 PM »

Well, another mystery is also that St. Paul alludes to the saints of the Church also becoming judges, even of angels:

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 6
If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers!

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
jah777
OC.net guru

« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2013, 02:22:31 PM »

This is a very important point.  I find that critics of the toll-house teaching approach this subject with a literalist Protestant fundamentalist mentality which typically doesn't characterize their approach to other subjects within Orthodox theology.  For instance, Protestants are so afraid to detract from the glory due to God that they completely ignore, and even protest against, the role that God has given to the saints and angels in the economy of our salvation.  Saints and angels are not to be worshiped as God, but God Himself has given them a role to play.  Our guardian angel has been given to us by God Himself to help and protect us, and the saints and angels may intercede for us before God.  The fact that they have such roles, and the fact that we acknowledge their roles, does not mean that we therefore put all of our hope in the saints and angels and forget about God.  It also does not mean that the saints and angels save us rather than God. 

Similarly, with regard to the so-called toll-house teaching, the Lord himself speaks of angels carrying the soul away at the time of death.  In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, the Lord says that "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom (Luke 16:22)."  In the story of the rich fool who stored up treasure and then died, the Lord said, "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided (Luke 12:20)?'"  In this text, "required" could also be translated "demanded".  The Fathers have pointed out that this "demanded" refers to the fact that while angels carry the souls of those pleasing to God to Paradise, demons carry away the souls of those who are not fit for the kingdom of heaven.  This is just to point out that the angels and demons have a role to play in carrying out the particular judgment after the separation of the soul and body.  To recognize that they have this role affirms rather than denies the Scriptures, and affirms the way in which God has chosen for our judgment occur rather than denying God's role in judging us.  As with much of Orthodox teaching, it is not a matter of "either/or", but "both".  The Particular Judgment is not the Final Judgment, neither is God absent from the Particular Judgment just because the angels and demons have a role to play.

It is true that the Scriptures do not spell out with great clarity what the soul encounters after its separation from the body.  There is actually a great deal that the Scriptures do not spell out in great detail, but which the Fathers explain more completely later.  To expect the Scriptures to spell out everything in great detail is to have a Protestant rather than an Orthodox understanding of the Scriptures, their purpose, their function, and their role in the life of the Church.  Any attempt to invalidate Tradition by using one's own view of what the Scriptures say, or to consign to "theolgoumena" a teaching that is found throughout the patristic literature, hagiography, hymnography, etc. just because someone doesn't like it or understand how this teaching relates to Scripture - this approach is not an Orthodox but a Protestant one. 

The Scriptures themselves testify that "the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor 2:14)."  To rightly understand the Scriptures one must first become a dwelling place of the same Spirit that inspired the Scriptures.  In other words, the proper interpretation is known only to the deified.  It is from the deified saints, not simply by their written words, but from their recorded experiences and from what God revealed to them, that the teaching regarding the toll-houses has come down to us.  The Church has used this imagery in its  hymnography, and the Church throughout the world has testified to this teaching by singing and chanting this hymnography with one accord. 

The problem with this teaching in Orthodoxy in America has mostly to do with certain argumentative people who wanted to start a fight about this at a time when much of the hymnography, hagiography, and patristic writings were not available in English.  This was also a time when certain persons in a certain jurisdiction were trying to make a name for themselves, trying to set themselves up as teachers, and trying to lead others into their own factions.  They attempted to do so by denouncing this teaching as "gnostic heresy", so as to exalt themselves as "pillars of Orthodoxy".  These early critics have all came to a shameful end, but sadly it is true that flies are still attracted to manure.  Not wanting to come also to a shameful end, it is best not to imitate their shameful beginning, but to trust in the teachings of the Fathers that have come down to us on this subject.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 02:23:50 PM by jah777 » Logged
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2013, 04:20:10 PM »

Well, another mystery is also that St. Paul alludes to the saints of the Church also becoming judges, even of angels:

Quote from: 1 Corinthians 6
If any of you has a dispute with another, do you dare to take it before the ungodly for judgment instead of before the Lord’s people? 2 Or do you not know that the Lord’s people will judge the world? And if you are to judge the world, are you not competent to judge trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we will judge angels? How much more the things of this life! 4 Therefore, if you have disputes about such matters, do you ask for a ruling from those whose way of life is scorned in the church? 5 I say this to shame you. Is it possible that there is nobody among you wise enough to judge a dispute between believers? 6 But instead, one brother takes another to court—and this in front of unbelievers!

This interests me as well. One thought is that perhaps St. Paul means that the Saints will judge the world in the sense that when God judges us, we will be compared to the standard that they set. That by them living such righteous lives of faith, they are--in a sense--judging and/or condemning the world by showing the world an example, and most of the world still refuses to follow it.

Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 04:35:53 PM »

This is a very important point.  I find that critics of the toll-house teaching approach this subject with a literalist Protestant fundamentalist mentality which typically doesn't characterize their approach to other subjects within Orthodox theology.  For instance, Protestants are so afraid to detract from the glory due to God that they completely ignore, and even protest against, the role that God has given to the saints and angels in the economy of our salvation.  Saints and angels are not to be worshiped as God, but God Himself has given them a role to play.  Our guardian angel has been given to us by God Himself to help and protect us, and the saints and angels may intercede for us before God.  The fact that they have such roles, and the fact that we acknowledge their roles, does not mean that we therefore put all of our hope in the saints and angels and forget about God.  It also does not mean that the saints and angels save us rather than God. 

Similarly, with regard to the so-called toll-house teaching, the Lord himself speaks of angels carrying the soul away at the time of death.  In the story of the rich man and Lazarus, the Lord says that "So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham's bosom (Luke 16:22)."  In the story of the rich fool who stored up treasure and then died, the Lord said, "But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided (Luke 12:20)?'"  In this text, "required" could also be translated "demanded".  The Fathers have pointed out that this "demanded" refers to the fact that while angels carry the souls of those pleasing to God to Paradise, demons carry away the souls of those who are not fit for the kingdom of heaven.  This is just to point out that the angels and demons have a role to play in carrying out the particular judgment after the separation of the soul and body.  To recognize that they have this role affirms rather than denies the Scriptures, and affirms the way in which God has chosen for our judgment occur rather than denying God's role in judging us.  As with much of Orthodox teaching, it is not a matter of "either/or", but "both".  The Particular Judgment is not the Final Judgment, neither is God absent from the Particular Judgment just because the angels and demons have a role to play.

It is true that the Scriptures do not spell out with great clarity what the soul encounters after its separation from the body.  There is actually a great deal that the Scriptures do not spell out in great detail, but which the Fathers explain more completely later.  To expect the Scriptures to spell out everything in great detail is to have a Protestant rather than an Orthodox understanding of the Scriptures, their purpose, their function, and their role in the life of the Church.  Any attempt to invalidate Tradition by using one's own view of what the Scriptures say, or to consign to "theolgoumena" a teaching that is found throughout the patristic literature, hagiography, hymnography, etc. just because someone doesn't like it or understand how this teaching relates to Scripture - this approach is not an Orthodox but a Protestant one. 

The Scriptures themselves testify that "the natural man does not receive the things of the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him; nor can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned (1 Cor 2:14)."  To rightly understand the Scriptures one must first become a dwelling place of the same Spirit that inspired the Scriptures.  In other words, the proper interpretation is known only to the deified.  It is from the deified saints, not simply by their written words, but from their recorded experiences and from what God revealed to them, that the teaching regarding the toll-houses has come down to us.  The Church has used this imagery in its  hymnography, and the Church throughout the world has testified to this teaching by singing and chanting this hymnography with one accord. 

The problem with this teaching in Orthodoxy in America has mostly to do with certain argumentative people who wanted to start a fight about this at a time when much of the hymnography, hagiography, and patristic writings were not available in English.  This was also a time when certain persons in a certain jurisdiction were trying to make a name for themselves, trying to set themselves up as teachers, and trying to lead others into their own factions.  They attempted to do so by denouncing this teaching as "gnostic heresy", so as to exalt themselves as "pillars of Orthodoxy".  These early critics have all came to a shameful end, but sadly it is true that flies are still attracted to manure.  Not wanting to come also to a shameful end, it is best not to imitate their shameful beginning, but to trust in the teachings of the Fathers that have come down to us on this subject.

I found this reply, minus the last paragraph, to be one of the most cogent defenses of this theory. However, because of the inclusion of the last paragraph, I have to consign it to the dust bin of polemics. Too bad.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: