OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 04:27:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. mosques hit by shortage of imams  (Read 2095 times) Average Rating: 0
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »

Everyone realizes that Muslims make up no part of America?

Calm down.

Yeah, right... Roll Eyes

Care to come visit my neighborhood here in Pittsburgh? It's still part of America.

Remember that huge Pew study?

http://religions.pewforum.org/reports

If I read the chart correctly, and understood you correctly (is that even possible for mere mortals??), then your conclusion that Muslims are not part of America applies equally to Orthodox Christians, yet you make no comment about that.  Are you an Orthodox Christian?  Do you live in America?  Is where you live part of America?  Are *you* part of America?

Orthodoxy is irrelevant in America. Again, it is called rhetoric.

If I heard some tirade against Orthodoxy, I could easily say: calm down, Orthodoxy is no part of America.

Rhetoric?  What is the "it" that you are calling rhetoric?

Rhetoric is the art of discourse, an art that aims to improve the facility of speakers or writers who attempt to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations.[1] As a subject of formal study and a productive civic practice, rhetoric has played a central role in the Western tradition.[2] Its best known definition comes from Aristotle, who considers it a counterpart of both logic and politics, and calls it "the faculty of observing in any given case the available means of persuasion."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhetoric

Because the education system of America somehow failed you all, I am not going to hand hold you now.

I like how this thread went from shortage of Imams to Imams are terrorists.

You people amuse me.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »

Calm down.

Yeah, right... Roll Eyes

Care to come visit my neighborhood here in Pittsburgh? It's still part of America.

If I read the chart correctly, and understood you correctly (is that even possible for mere mortals??), then your conclusion that Muslims are not part of America applies equally to Orthodox Christians, yet you make no comment about that.  Are you an Orthodox Christian?  Do you live in America?  Is where you live part of America?  Are *you* part of America?

If I heard some tirade against Orthodoxy, I could easily say: calm down, Orthodoxy is no part of America.

Rhetoric is the art of discourse, an art that aims to improve the facility of speakers or writers who attempt to inform, persuade, or motivate particular audiences in specific situations.[1] As a subject of formal study and a productive civic practice, rhetoric has played a central role in the Western tradition.[2] Its best known definition comes from Aristotle, who considers it a counterpart of both logic and politics, and calls it "the faculty of observing in any given case the available means of persuasion."

Because the education system of America somehow failed you all, I am not going to hand hold you now.

You people amuse me.
At what point in this thread were imams referred to terrorists?  I must have missed something.

It's comforting to know that we mere people provide you with some amusement.  Seems that we're good for something, at least, however human it may be.   Shocked Shocked

Care to humor us mere mortal people with an answer to this question: "At what point does something become "part of America"?"?  It is, after all, relevant to the discussion.  Or will you continue to just bloviate in your usual highly arrogant, condescending, and cryptic manner?

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2013, 12:14:38 PM »

J Michael, what makes you think orthonorm IS Orthodox? (Not that it matters to this discussion.) The point is he is asserted Muslims were "no part of America" - an outright falsehood which he now wishes to defend based on playing his word games (calling it "rhetoric"). I call it trolling.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2013, 04:12:43 PM »

Calm down.

Yeah, right... Roll Eyes

You people amuse me.
At what point in this thread were imams referred to terrorists?  I must have missed something.

It's comforting to know that we mere people provide you with some amusement.  Seems that we're good for something, at least, however human it may be.   Shocked Shocked

Care to humor us mere mortal people with an answer to this question: "At what point does something become "part of America"?"?  It is, after all, relevant to the discussion.  Or will you continue to just bloviate in your usual highly arrogant, condescending, and cryptic manner?

Good news, at least for the time being----too many terrorists among the imams probably is the problem.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2013, 04:21:22 PM »

J Michael, what makes you think orthonorm IS Orthodox? (Not that it matters to this discussion.) The point is he is asserted Muslims were "no part of America" - an outright falsehood which he now wishes to defend based on playing his word games (calling it "rhetoric"). I call it trolling.

Prove me wrong.

Show me how America has been and is currently shaped and animated by Islamic Americans in a significant manner (outside what the RCs took from them in terms of theology, which really hasn't had much impact on the American landscape).

The only way in which they have mattered for America is in terms of how Americans understand themselves over and against Muslims.

Thus Muslims are part of America only in virtue of their exclusion. If you want to take up the Hegelian nature of totality and thus include the negation of a being within that being itself, I am with you.

But in terms of the Islamic-hate-baiting nature of this article and reactions to it by you and your kind, Muslims are not part of America.

Again please show me how Muslim Americans have shaped and been the source of American mythology and ideology outside being the necessary opposite required to understand itself.

I won't hold my breath, but you probably couldn't articulate either although you seem to be one of the most ardent believers in both.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:22:29 PM by orthonorm » Logged

J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2013, 04:29:39 PM »

laugh

I have no idea what, if any, religious affiliation orthonorm has!  I know I've asked him at least twice in the past if he's Orthodox and never got a yes or no answer.  Just his usual gobbledegook nonsense by way of deflection.  I guess "yes" or "no" is far too below his exalted status to say.  So, if he's Orthodox or Wiccan or Buddhist or God-knows-what, it's news to me.

Yes, his point about Muslims being "no part of America" *is* an outright falsehood.  Whether we like it or not, as few or as many as there are, Muslims are here--in America.

Orthonorm, you never deigned to clarify for us at what point something becomes "part of America".  Can you clarify?  What does it mean to be "part of America".  And thanks for pointing out the single instance of the use of the term terrorist in conjunction with the term imam on this thread.  Or were there others I overlooked?  I guess that makes it true and everyone here agrees with it, eh?  Who knows, maybe Basil320 is on to something.

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2013, 04:31:41 PM »

laugh

I have no idea what, if any, religious affiliation orthonorm has!  I know I've asked him at least twice in the past if he's Orthodox and never got a yes or no answer.  Just his usual gobbledegook nonsense by way of deflection.  I guess "yes" or "no" is far too below his exalted status to say.  So, if he's Orthodox or Wiccan or Buddhist or God-knows-what, it's news to me.

Yes, his point about Muslims being "no part of America" *is* an outright falsehood.  Whether we like it or not, as few or as many as there are, Muslims are here--in America.

Orthonorm, you never deigned to clarify for us at what point something becomes "part of America".  Can you clarify?  What does it mean to be "part of America".  And thanks for pointing out the single instance of the use of the term terrorist in conjunction with the term imam on this thread.  Or were there others I overlooked?  I guess that makes it true and everyone here agrees with it, eh?  Who knows, maybe Basil320 is on to something.

Didn't you read the post above?

If you want to move this out of your ignorance of rhetorical tropes and into ontology, we'll be here for a while.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2013, 04:35:15 PM »

laugh

I have no idea what, if any, religious affiliation orthonorm has!

You would seem to have terrible memories then and are even worse at using a search function and rarely read bumped threads.

Heck, I have my own tag which is tied to this very question. So the relevant threads would probably be indexed quite well even within the site's search engine.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:35:34 PM by orthonorm » Logged

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #53 on: January 18, 2013, 04:37:03 PM »

I think orthonorm means that Muslim identity (as well as Orthodox) has not influenced American identity or values at all. That cumstoms, traditions, and other means of cultural heritage of Muslims (or Orthodox) have not influenced American ethos. And that's true.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #54 on: January 18, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »

I think orthonorm means that Muslim identity (as well as Orthodox) has not influenced American identity or values at all. That cumstoms, traditions, and other means of cultural heritage of Muslims (or Orthodox) have not influenced American ethos. And that's true.

Sometimes it takes a stranger from stranger land to see the obviously.

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #55 on: January 18, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »

laugh

Didn't you read the post above?

If you want to move this out of your ignorance of rhetorical tropes and into ontology, we'll be here for a while.

Yes, I did read the post above.  It tells me nothing of any substance other than that your criteria for being "part of America" are particularly narrow and, I must say, elitist.  That is, if, in my ignorance, I understood you.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #56 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:05 PM »

Except for bean pies.

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #57 on: January 18, 2013, 04:41:28 PM »

It may be true, but none of that excludes Muslims or Orthodox from being "part of America".  By the way, your explanation was far clearer than orthonorm's.  Thank you.

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #58 on: January 18, 2013, 04:43:43 PM »

It may be true, but none of that excludes Muslims or Orthodox from being "part of America".

What does "being a part of America" mean?

By the way, your explanation was far clearer than orthonorm's.

I had no problems with understanding his posts.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2013, 04:44:30 PM »

laugh

You would seem to have terrible memories then and are even worse at using a search function and rarely read bumped threads.

Heck, I have my own tag which is tied to this very question. So the relevant threads would probably be indexed quite well even within the site's search engine.

Yeah, sometimes my memory ain't what it used to be.  How's about humoring a dottering old fool and just telling us if you are Orthodox or not, and save me all the trouble of searching and trying to interpret your cryptography.  I *do* have a memory you dodging the question before and not getting a straight answer.

Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2013, 04:45:16 PM »

And thanks for pointing out the single instance of the use of the term terrorist in conjunction with the term imam on this thread. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anwar_al-Awlaki

I don't know how much of his reputation as a terrorist is true, but I remember listening to his talks on youtube (before he was killed and his lectures deleted) and thinking that he was about as good a preacher as they get and a product of both Islam and the US.

He might have been quite exceptional, indeed.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #61 on: January 18, 2013, 04:46:44 PM »

laugh

Yeah, sometimes my memory ain't what it used to be.  How's about humoring a dottering old fool and just telling us if you are Orthodox or not, and save me all the trouble of searching and trying to interpret your cryptography.  I *do* have a memory you dodging the question before and not getting a straight answer.

What we don't remember is as telling if not more so than what we do.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 04:46:59 PM by orthonorm » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #62 on: January 18, 2013, 04:47:22 PM »

It may be true, but none of that excludes Muslims or Orthodox from being "part of America".

1. What does "being a part of America" mean?

By the way, your explanation was far clearer than orthonorm's.

2. I had no problems with understanding his posts.

1. Being "part of America" means, imho, living here and considering it your home.

2. You must be far more intelligent than I.  Congratulations.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 05:02:01 PM by J Michael » Logged

J Michael
Merarches

« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2013, 04:48:12 PM »

laugh

Yeah, sometimes my memory ain't what it used to be.  How's about humoring a dottering old fool and just telling us if you are Orthodox or not, and save me all the trouble of searching and trying to interpret your cryptography.  I *do* have a memory you dodging the question before and not getting a straight answer.

What we don't remember is as telling if not more so than what we do.

I've heard that before.  Can't remember where.

Santagranddad
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: ROCA

« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2013, 05:10:07 PM »

When minorities are few in number they tend to assimilate, possibly because there is little choice. Where there are numbers congregated together we see here in UK little assimilation, particularly among Moslems. Again in London, Luton and other areas this is very noticeable. Many resort to Moslem councils to resolve disputes. And a growing minority reject the society they live in. Hence my earlier reference the 'Muslim Patrol' and their unilateral assumption of an area as a Muslim fiefdom and vigilantes seeking to impose an alien set of values on those in it. Is this being part of the nation or rejection of the nation, it's institutions and values?

The first Moslems here were hard working and quiet in their politics, rather as I imagine was the case in respect of the early Moslem arrivals in the USA. Now we see young men from both countries going to Afghanistan and Somali with the intent of supporting Al Qaeda or Shabad. These youngsters reject the values of their homelands, even act against its forces and/or scheme to overturn by any means the society in which they live. Hardly mirroring the circumstances of the early arrivals in either country?
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #65 on: January 18, 2013, 05:15:37 PM »

When minorities are few in number they tend to assimilate, possibly because there is little choice. Where there are numbers congregated together we see here in UK little assimilation, particularly among Moslems. Again in London, Luton and other areas this is very noticeable. Many resort to Moslem councils to resolve disputes. And a growing minority reject the society they live in. Hence my earlier reference the 'Muslim Patrol' and their unilateral assumption of an area as a Muslim fiefdom and vigilantes seeking to impose an alien set of values on those in it. Is this being part of the nation or rejection of the nation, it's institutions and values?

The first Moslems here were hard working and quiet in their politics, rather as I imagine was the case in respect of the early Moslem arrivals in the USA. Now we see young men from both countries going to Afghanistan and Somali with the intent of supporting Al Qaeda or Shabad. These youngsters reject the values of their homelands, even act against its forces and/or scheme to overturn by any means the society in which they live. Hardly mirroring the circumstances of the early arrivals in either country?

Europe is a horse of a different color indeed, especially the UK, Germany, Austria, and France (from when I was in those countries).

But to look at those countries and think they are some model for what will happen here is ridiculous. The causes and conditions for the increase of Muslims in those countries have almost no analog here.

The factors which caused and conditioned the growth of the Muslim population in Europe is best analogous to the growth of the Latino population in America, which I can't but see as a great thing.

The only differing factor in terms of the growth of the Muslim population versus the Latino in the US, is that I don't think I can convert to being Latino. And while the rate of conversion is rather large factor in driving the growth of the Muslim population in the US, most studies I've looked at project it will soon drop dramatically.

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2013, 11:10:40 AM »

I am not relying on my observations to make my point. Perhaps you want to look at sampling bias as well, although you do seem have some general grasp of it after having learned about it from reading my post
I didnt learn anything from your posts. If you were making your comment based on no observation, as what Aris and Liza said then maybe you should follow their lead then.

And I don't know who Aris is
Then maybe you should not criticize anyone's Greek. However, as I said before you dont need to know anything, but criticize people who do. Nothing new here.

This might be a "teachable" moment.
Judging by your comments, you are correct. It is a teachable moment, but I think you should be the recipient.

PP

Yes, you learned about sampling bias. It is OK to learn something from someone you don't like.

OK, I will help you out. That last part of my post is called irony. It is part of rhetoric. In this case, I supposed it served to show you don't know you are talking about or what I am.

I can wrestle my way through Greek; it ain't rocket science, well that ain't difficult either, it ain't Hegel. Keep up.

Now, coming to teaching, I can't remember what you teach (have I asked, maybe you don't and I have you confused with someone else), but let me help you with computer stuff. I know facility with a computer or the ton of software isn't a measure of intelligence. Isa for instance, no slouch, admits to having little knack for it. Perhaps you don't either. I don't know, but given the amount of posts you have here and the fact you haven't gotten a hold of the quote feature in its entirety, I would be glad to walk through the quote tag and how it can be used to best serve everyone's needs.

For example, you could have linked my words you pieced apart with any hint of what might be missing in their unadulterated form through the use of the quote tag.

Let me know if I can help you with this tag or any other aspects of the board or computer use in general. Although, I will be limited primarily to basic internet use stuff (like using markup language per the quote tag example), pretty bad unix shell programming, terrible Pearl, rough Scheme, buncha other languages, advanced internetz (which are old internetz), TCP/IP, pretty much nothing useful.

Oh and some database garbage.

Pretty much I can use gmail, gchat, google docs, google voice, google, and wikipedia.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 11:12:32 AM by orthonorm » Logged

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

Inserting personal quote here.

« Reply #67 on: January 22, 2013, 11:19:35 AM »

Yes, you learned about sampling bias. It is OK to learn something from someone you don't like.

OK, I will help you out. That last part of my post is called irony. It is part of rhetoric. In this case, I supposed it served to show you don't know you are talking about or what I am.

I can wrestle my way through Greek; it ain't rocket science, well that ain't difficult either, it ain't Hegel. Keep up.

Now, coming to teaching, I can't remember what you teach (have I asked, maybe you don't and I have you confused with someone else), but let me help you with computer stuff. I know facility with a computer or the ton of software isn't a measure of intelligence. Isa for instance, no slouch, admits to having little knack for it. Perhaps you don't either. I don't know, but given the amount of posts you have here and the fact you haven't gotten a hold of the quote feature in its entirety, I would be glad to walk through the quote tag and how it can be used to best serve everyone's needs.

For example, you could have linked my words you pieced apart with any hint of what might be missing in their unadulterated form through the use of the quote tag.

Let me know if I can help you with this tag or any other aspects of the board or computer use in general. Although, I will be limited primarily to basic internet use stuff (like using markup language per the quote tag example), pretty bad unix shell programming, terrible Pearl, rough Scheme, buncha other languages, advanced internetz (which are old internetz), TCP/IP, pretty much nothing useful.

Pretty much I can use gmail, gchat, google docs, google voice, google, and wikipedia.
Say whatever makes you sleep at night champ.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #68 on: January 22, 2013, 11:44:56 AM »

Say whatever makes you sleep at night champ.

PP

Not sure what saying the above has to do with sleeping . . .

Oh wait! You were being rhetorical!

Oh and I did something for you:

what do you think of her general theology?
No different than any other pusher of that prosperity gospel nonsense.

I would not call her a theologian any more than I would call McDonalds a high quality establishment.

PP

How do you compare a human being to macdonalds?

It's an analogy, "X is to Y as A is to B" and all that.

different letters of the same alphabet.

Oh Tweety and I thought you were waxing poetic!

I mean how can you compare something so run of the mill and day to day which pervades every square foot of the earth to the singular and unrepeatable McDonald's Double Cheeseburger?

Oh well . . . .

p.s.

Hey Primus,

Look at what I did there. It is pretty easy.

Code:
[quote author=tweety234 link=topic=49260.msg868395#msg868395 date=1358867751]
[quote author=sheenj link=topic=49260.msg865926#msg865926 date=1358355377]
[quote author=tweety234 link=topic=49260.msg865921#msg865921 date=1358355209]
[quote author=primuspilus link=topic=49260.msg865862#msg865862 date=1358342435]
[quote]what do you think of her general theology?[/quote]No different than any other pusher of that prosperity gospel nonsense.

I would not call her a theologian any more than I would call McDonalds a high quality establishment.

PP
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's an analogy, "X is to Y as A is to B" and all that.
[/quote]

different letters of the same alphabet.
[/quote]

I just simply replied to tweety via the quote button. Doing so, keeps everything linked back to its original. Although you could tamper with the quoted material, the website won't break down or anything if the two quotes don't match, but it often considered in poor taste to simply change what others have said without pointing out those changes. On some forums that is an offense you can be moderated for. Although with the right group, you can change some of the words to be funny and everyone laughs and doesn't take it too seriously.

And I am using the code tag which tells the software not to render any other tags, or links, or whatever have, so that everyone can see what code is being used. For a quote it is not that big of a deal, but some even use the code tag to set out code on boards for discussing stuff like PHP or whatever.

Now I simply removed all the nested quoting from the above to emphasize tweety's comment to make a funny about it. Now it isn't exactly his original words (I left some out, well so did he or you, I am losing track), but because I anchored his my use of his words to the original, anyone can check to see the context, if I am being accurate, etc.

Code:
[quote author=tweety234 link=topic=49260.msg865921#msg865921 date=1358355209]
[/quote]

Hope this helps.

If you don't see it on that thread.

primuspilus
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian Orthodox Archdiocese of North America - Western Rite Orthodox

« Reply #69 on: January 22, 2013, 11:53:17 AM »

So thats what you have sunk to? A "Im doing something you're not" thing? Whatever keeps your hyper-inflated ego up buddy.

PP

"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #70 on: January 22, 2013, 12:00:02 PM »

So thats what you have sunk to? A "Im doing something you're not" thing? Whatever keeps your hyper-inflated ego up buddy.

PP

Yes, my posts in this thread could be, in fact, summed up by:

A "Im doing something you're not" thing?

primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #71 on: January 22, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »

Good for you. Are we done being children now?

PP

Gregory the Great

orthonorm
Hoplitarches

« Reply #72 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:42 PM »

PP

Hey, I am not the one who has to write pee pee on every post here.

Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #73 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »

PP

PWNED

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
primuspilus
Taxiarches

« Reply #74 on: January 22, 2013, 12:09:02 PM »

PP

Heh, fair enough.

Gregory the Great

Tags:
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: