OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 28, 2014, 01:02:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gay marriage could signal return to ‘centuries of persecution’, say RCC priests  (Read 11148 times) Average Rating: 0
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #90 on: January 19, 2013, 08:29:27 AM »

Church = The, or of the, original Apostolic Church (i.e., Orthodox and Roman Catholic)

Pro = In favor of, promoting, or not in opposition to

Anti = Against or in opposition to

Homosexual = Of or pertaining to homosexuality/homosexual acts (Sin)
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #91 on: January 19, 2013, 08:34:12 AM »

Church = The, or of the, original Apostolic Church (i.e., Orthodox and Roman Catholic)

I don't consider Vatican to be a part of the Church.

"In favour" is not equal to "not in opposition to".

"Against" is not an opposition to "in favour".

"Homosexuality" does not equal to "homosexual acts".

Your definition is dumb. Make it more precise.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:34:40 AM by Michał Kalina » Logged

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #92 on: January 19, 2013, 08:40:56 AM »

I don't consider Vatican to be a part of the Church. (That's you, not Catholics)

"In favour" is not equal to "not in opposition to". (Yes it is.)

"Against" is not an opposition to "in favour". (Yes it is.)

"Homosexuality" does not equal to "homosexual acts".  (There is a little word I placed in there you apparently skipped over.  Its "or", and Yes it does.)

Your definition is dumb. Make it more precise.

Then perhaps you should have posted YOUR definitions.

Because you do not like it in no way makes it dumb. (bolded portion reference).  

Did you forget what this thread was discussing?  (blue portion reference)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 08:53:32 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #93 on: January 19, 2013, 10:01:42 AM »

I think "pro-homosexual" and "anti-homosexual" may be too vague, and any other similar words are going to be loaded.

Maybe say the "opposition of legal or moral acceptance of homosexual behavior (e.g. marriage)," the "encouraging of legal or moral acceptance of homosexual behavior," or the "indifference to legal or moral acceptance of homosexual behavior."

In each case, "legal or moral" may be contextual as an either-or situation, or a both-and.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 10:02:17 AM by Nephi » Logged

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Charles Martel
Traditional Roman Catholic
Moderated
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: New york

« Reply #94 on: January 19, 2013, 10:17:40 AM »

"How does the Church (what Church?) define it?

Church: One Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church

Here's some help for you;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfqKOUqy9OM

Homosexuality: "2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,140 tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."141 They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

"Define "anti-homosexual".

Anti: an·ti/ˈæn taɪ, ˈæn ti/ Show Spelled [an-tahy, an-tee] Show IPA
noun, plural an·tis. 
a person who is opposed to a particular practice, party, policy, action, etc.

Homosexual:ho·mo·sex·u·al/ˌhoʊ məˈsɛk ʃu əl or, esp. British, -ˈsɛks yu-/ Show Spelled [hoh-muh-sek-shoo-uh l or, esp. British, -seks-yoo-] Show IPA
adjective 
1. of, pertaining to, or exhibiting homosexuality.
2. of, pertaining to, or noting the same sex.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/homosexual?s=t

Are we clear now?

Or do I have to define "clear". Roll Eyes

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #95 on: January 19, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

"I don't consider Vatican to be a part of the Church."

It doesn't matter what you consider outside of the  Michal Kalina-kingdom.

2000 yrs of history says different.

Sancte Michael Archangele, defende nos in proelio, contra nequitiam et insidias diaboli esto praesidium.
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« Reply #96 on: January 19, 2013, 10:22:04 AM »

Homosexual:ho·mo·sex·u·al/ˌhoʊ məˈsɛk ʃu əl or, esp. British, -ˈsɛks yu-/ Show Spelled [hoh-muh-sek-shoo-uh l or, esp. British, -seks-yoo-] Show IPA
adjective 
This is the problem definition. I think he's making the distinction between "homosexual (the person)" and "homosexual behavior/activities," which are very different meanings meant by "homosexual" in this context. So if one says "anti-homosexual" it could mean "anti-homosexual (the person)" or "anti-homosexual behavior/activities."

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #97 on: January 19, 2013, 10:23:32 AM »

adjective 
This is the problem definition. I think he's making the distinction between "homosexual (the person)" and "homosexual behavior/activities," which are very different meanings meant by "homosexual" in this context. So if one says "anti-homosexual" it could mean "anti-homosexual (the person)" or "anti-homosexual behavior/activities."
Let me ask you this.......would he make the same distinction between pedophile and pedophilia?

mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #98 on: January 19, 2013, 12:13:51 PM »

adjective 
Let me ask you this.......would he make the same distinction between pedophile and pedophilia?

One is activity and one is a person.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #99 on: January 19, 2013, 07:18:57 PM »

adjective 

You do have a point, after all, in the words of Our Lord: By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you hate teh geyz.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #100 on: January 19, 2013, 07:25:06 PM »

adjective 

You do have a point, after all, in the words of Our Lord: By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you hate teh geyz.
What "Lord" might that be?

My God said to despise sin.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #101 on: January 19, 2013, 07:29:05 PM »

adjective 

Can you separate one from the other?

If I murder someone am I not a murderer?

If I fornicate with someone am I not a fornicator?

If I blaspheme the name of God am I not a blasphemer?

You can not do one thing and say you have nothing to do with it.

JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #102 on: January 19, 2013, 07:36:19 PM »

adjective 

So you hate all men, yes?

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #103 on: January 19, 2013, 07:48:10 PM »

adjective 

I see you hate me James.

Is there anyway you can stick to a topic without calling someone a "hater"?

Are we projecting again?

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #104 on: January 19, 2013, 08:13:12 PM »

Uh guys, can you ease up on the slap fight?  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #105 on: January 19, 2013, 09:05:21 PM »

adjective  
He most likely is; however, consistent with his traditional debating style, he confused what is being discussed with what he wants to discuss.  This then creates an environment of confusion in which only he knows what he is talking about and everyone else is “wrong”.    

I suggest, rather than do this, he uses an open mind and attempt to understand what people are saying.  This thread isn’t about homosexuals who control their desire to sin.  It’s about all of the others, the 99.9% of them and social acceptance resulting in the attacks we see increasing on churches.  In other words, he is avoiding the real topic and making his own arguments which have been made in other threads and are completely irrelevant to this thread.  Michal needs to stop for a moment and actually attempt to understand the argument before posting.  We are all guilty of not doing this from time to time, but there are some of us who do it regularly.

Hint:  Michal, this isn’t about individual, specific people who have deviant sexual desires (as most people alive do) and control themselves, it’s about the rest of it all.  Do you need a definition of “the rest” or do you get me?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:11:27 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #106 on: January 19, 2013, 09:06:59 PM »

adjective  

Are you saying, if a person has a same sex attraction but NEVER acts on that attraction in a physical way, that person is not a homosexual?  But when that same person acts on the attraction in a physical way, that person then becomes, by definition, a homosexual?  Charles, you can’t say things like this.  It makes too much sense.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 09:16:53 PM by Kerdy » Logged
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #107 on: January 19, 2013, 09:08:15 PM »

adjective 

Could you elaborate?  I am not clear how you came to this conclusion.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #108 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:12 PM »

adjective 

Romans 12:9, "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."  Is sin evil?  If it is, then Martel says we are to hate all men.

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #109 on: January 19, 2013, 09:30:52 PM »

adjective 

This carries us back into the realm of “words no longer have meaning”.  When a word can mean anything, it means nothing.  In this instance, a person is not a homosexual until that person engages in homosexual activity.  Let me provide a couple of examples to explain.

If I find a woman other than my wife sexually appealing, does this automatically make me an adulterer?  What if I find several women this way, am I an adulterer?  No, not until I entertain these thoughts resulting in an overt action on my part. 

What if I think someone is so bad the world would benefit if that person was killed off?  Does that make me a murderer?  No, not until I entertain this thought resulting in an overt action on my part. 

So, if someone finds the same gender sexually appealing, does that make the person a homosexual?  No, not until that person entertains those thoughts resulting in an overt action on their part.

Now, if a person has engaged in homosexual acts, by definition, that person is a homosexual and is wrong…in the same manner as if I were to have an adulterous affair on my wife or murder someone in cold blood. 

Homosexuality does not get its own rules and definitions due to political correctness.  It is still restricted by the same standards as everything else in the world.

Life is not as complicated as people pretend.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #110 on: January 19, 2013, 09:31:58 PM »

adjective 

Romans 12:9, "Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good."  Is sin evil?  If it is, then Martel says we are to hate all men.

I don't follow.  Maybe he is saying we are to hate all sin.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #111 on: January 19, 2013, 09:33:55 PM »

adjective 

Let me ensure I understand you correctly.  As long as a person does not engage in homosexual activity they are ok, but if they do they are wrong.   Yes?  If so, it’s the same thing everyone else is saying.
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

« Reply #112 on: January 19, 2013, 09:45:25 PM »

adjective 

""One is activity and one is a person."  Can you separate one from another?"

Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #113 on: January 19, 2013, 09:58:55 PM »

adjective 

""One is activity and one is a person."  Can you separate one from another?"

I already did. Huh
choy
Archon

« Reply #114 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:29 AM »

Funny how in the US it is MLK Day and half of the conversations I watch on TV about it talk about "Gay Rights".  I think it is only a matter of time before we win the debate on abortion, but this is one thing that we will lose and at some point the Catholic and Orthodox Churches will be considered "hate organizations".
choy
Archon

« Reply #115 on: January 20, 2013, 01:36:20 AM »

If I find a woman other than my wife sexually appealing, does this automatically make me an adulterer?  What if I find several women this way, am I an adulterer?  No, not until I entertain these thoughts resulting in an overt action on my part. 

Actually, yes.

Matthew 5:27-28
27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #116 on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:13 AM »

If I find a woman other than my wife sexually appealing, does this automatically make me an adulterer?  What if I find several women this way, am I an adulterer?  No, not until I entertain these thoughts resulting in an overt action on my part.

Actually, yes.

27 “You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I tell you that anyone who looks at a woman lustfully has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
Notice I expounded by saying "entertain these thoughts" rather than simply leaving it to them existing.  There is a difference between sinful thoughts popping up and us focusing on those thoughts.  If a person centers on those thoughts, I would agree with you completely.

KJV says it better, I think:
27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

Taking notice and lusting after are different.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 01:50:54 AM by Kerdy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #117 on: January 20, 2013, 03:21:20 AM »

adjective 
He most likely is; however, consistent with his traditional debating style, he confused what is being discussed with what he wants to discuss.  This then creates an environment of confusion in which only he knows what he is talking about and everyone else is “wrong”.   

I suggest, rather than do this, he uses an open mind and attempt to understand what people are saying.  This thread isn’t about homosexuals who control their desire to sin.  It’s about all of the others, the 99.9% of them and social acceptance resulting in the attacks we see increasing on churches.  In other words, he is avoiding the real topic and making his own arguments which have been made in other threads and are completely irrelevant to this thread.  Michal needs to stop for a moment and actually attempt to understand the argument before posting.  We are all guilty of not doing this from time to time, but there are some of us who do it regularly.

Hint:  Michal, this isn’t about individual, specific people who have deviant sexual desires (as most people alive do) and control themselves, it’s about the rest of it all.  Do you need a definition of “the rest” or do you get me?

Who has attacked "your Church"? How? Can you post some links to newsstories?

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2013, 04:01:14 AM »

adjective  
He most likely is; however, consistent with his traditional debating style, he confused what is being discussed with what he wants to discuss.  This then creates an environment of confusion in which only he knows what he is talking about and everyone else is “wrong”.    

I suggest, rather than do this, he uses an open mind and attempt to understand what people are saying.  This thread isn’t about homosexuals who control their desire to sin.  It’s about all of the others, the 99.9% of them and social acceptance resulting in the attacks we see increasing on churches.  In other words, he is avoiding the real topic and making his own arguments which have been made in other threads and are completely irrelevant to this thread.  Michal needs to stop for a moment and actually attempt to understand the argument before posting.  We are all guilty of not doing this from time to time, but there are some of us who do it regularly.

Hint:  Michal, this isn’t about individual, specific people who have deviant sexual desires (as most people alive do) and control themselves, it’s about the rest of it all.  Do you need a definition of “the rest” or do you get me?

Do you ever watch television?

...and thanks for showing what I said was accurate.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 04:02:32 AM by Kerdy » Logged
mike
Stratopedarches

« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2013, 07:51:16 AM »

adjective 
He most likely is; however, consistent with his traditional debating style, he confused what is being discussed with what he wants to discuss.  This then creates an environment of confusion in which only he knows what he is talking about and everyone else is “wrong”.   

I suggest, rather than do this, he uses an open mind and attempt to understand what people are saying.  This thread isn’t about homosexuals who control their desire to sin.  It’s about all of the others, the 99.9% of them and social acceptance resulting in the attacks we see increasing on churches.  In other words, he is avoiding the real topic and making his own arguments which have been made in other threads and are completely irrelevant to this thread.  Michal needs to stop for a moment and actually attempt to understand the argument before posting.  We are all guilty of not doing this from time to time, but there are some of us who do it regularly.

Hint:  Michal, this isn’t about individual, specific people who have deviant sexual desires (as most people alive do) and control themselves, it’s about the rest of it all.  Do you need a definition of “the rest” or do you get me?

Never heard of any Orthodox Church being "attacked" by gays.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #120 on: January 20, 2013, 08:31:10 AM »

adjective  

Never heard of any Orthodox Church being "attacked" by gays.

Then you aren't "paying attention."

I truly enjoy your selective understanding and word usage.  It makes for such invigorating dialogue. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 08:31:48 AM by Kerdy » Logged
Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #121 on: January 20, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »

adjective 

Yes, sin is evil and those in the act of sinning are evil. what do you want to hear? Do you take sin that lightly? Do you believe the Lord does? You are a fool if you take God for granted and depend soley on his mercy and love. We will all one day be held accountable for every sin, every thought, every slight in the eyes of God. True, God is a loving and merciful God but he is also a Righteous and Just one as well and we are all under his judgment at the appointed time. Don't think for a second that you can trivialize a sin because   God said we must be "sincere" in our love, acutally if that's the case, then we should speak out even more to the homosexual for the error in his ways and the corruption he sows to others, especially children who are easily decieved with this culture and it's stamp of approval on sodomy and fornication and a host of other sins.

But yes, we are to despise the homosexual if he is not repentant and actively engages in his debased "lifestyle". Seems many on here as well as everywhere else want some special rules for homosexuals, like in the secular world, we have to treat them and their sin like it's something special with special considerations and watch how we address them or we are to be taken as "haters" and "bigots" well you can count me out. I will call them out and name their sin, they are no better than anyone else regardless of how much browbeating and shaming we get from the immoral secularists and the powers that be from the well financed "gay" mafia that threaten and intimidate anyone in their way in getting what they want and what they want is simple; acceptance and legitimacy. We seem to be just about there, here in the "real world" where they call evil "good" and good "evil" or what they now label the "new normal".

So that's where we're at now, that even in the church we can't even call men bedding down with other men something that's "evil" and a sin which God said he hates without being called "haters" ourselves. The New Church of Sodom, open acceptance for one and all, no matter what deviancy you cling to becaue after all, God will still "wuv" you very much. Good luck with that.

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #122 on: January 20, 2013, 01:15:13 PM »

Woman what does your concern have to do with me?  Grin

Charles Martel
Moderated
Archon

« Reply #123 on: January 20, 2013, 01:23:40 PM »

adjective 

'Gay' hate vandalizes church, threatens even more violence

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2011/10/356361/#U2Z7ITAsSfJVD90P.99

In the early morning hours, on the eve of a banquet designed to expose the homosexual activist agenda, security cameras on the campus of the Christian Liberty Academy, a school run by the Church of Christian Liberty in Arlington Heights, Ill., captured what may be a prominent example of an anti-Christian “hate crime.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2011/10/356361/#U2Z7ITAsSfJVD90P.99

Threat to burn down local Catholic church & profane attacks after pro-traditional marriage sign is posted on church property.
But the Catholics aren't backing down!

Flood of hate and profanity targeting churchHomosexual activists also came and put hateful signs on the Church property. One sign said "Holy Mother Virgin Whore" and another said "Jesus freaks pray for death." Two activists stood outside the church for about an hour.

http://www.massresistance.org/docs/gen2/12b/acushnet_church/index.html

stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #124 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

adjective 

Yes, sin is evil and those in the act of sinning are evil. what do you want to hear? Do you take sin that lightly? Do you believe the Lord does? You are a fool if you take God for granted and depend soley on his mercy and love. We will all one day be held accountable for every sin, every thought, every slight in the eyes of God. True, God is a loving and merciful God but he is also a Righteous and Just one as well and we are all under his judgment at the appointed time. Don't think for a second that you can trivialize a sin because   God said we must be "sincere" in our love, acutally if that's the case, then we should speak out even more to the homosexual for the error in his ways and the corruption he sows to others, especially children who are easily decieved with this culture and it's stamp of approval on sodomy and fornication and a host of other sins.

But yes, we are to despise the homosexual if he is not repentant and actively engages in his debased "lifestyle". Seems many on here as well as everywhere else want some special rules for homosexuals, like in the secular world, we have to treat them and their sin like it's something special with special considerations and watch how we address them or we are to be taken as "haters" and "bigots" well you can count me out. I will call them out and name their sin, they are no better than anyone else regardless of how much browbeating and shaming we get from the immoral secularists and the powers that be from the well financed "gay" mafia that threaten and intimidate anyone in their way in getting what they want and what they want is simple; acceptance and legitimacy. We seem to be just about there, here in the "real world" where they call evil "good" and good "evil" or what they now label the "new normal".

So that's where we're at now, that even in the church we can't even call men bedding down with other men something that's "evil" and a sin which God said he hates without being called "haters" ourselves. The New Church of Sodom, open acceptance for one and all, no matter what deviancy you cling to becaue after all, God will still "wuv" you very much. Good luck with that.

Your attitude sucks. And is un-Christian. We are not to "despise the homosexual", or any human being for that matter. I suggest that you go back to the basics and re-read the Gospels.

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
choy
Archon

« Reply #125 on: January 20, 2013, 02:00:40 PM »

If I find a woman other than my wife sexually appealing, does this automatically make me an adulterer?  What if I find several women this way, am I an adulterer?  No, not until I entertain these thoughts resulting in an overt action on my part.

Actually, yes.

Notice I expounded by saying "entertain these thoughts" rather than simply leaving it to them existing.  There is a difference between sinful thoughts popping up and us focusing on those thoughts.  If a person centers on those thoughts, I would agree with you completely.

27 Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, Thou shalt not commit adultery:

28 But I say unto you, That whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart.

The fact that the sinful thought pop-up means that there is still lust in your heart that needs to be stomped out by prayer and asceticism.  Lustful reaction is not natural, therefore it is not okay to have them even if you didn't will the initial thought that popped into your mind.  You mean not have a tree of lust in your heart, but you certainly have the seeds of lust in there.  Many writings by saints say this.  I forgot which monk was it who was with brother monks and there was this parade of a pagan queen where she paraded around naked.  They were in the crowd and the other monks turned around so as they will not see the woman and be tempted into lustful thoughts.  While the one monk (who is a saint, I wish I have better memory) just stood there and watched.  Because he was pure in heart, he didn't even had that involuntary thought, entertained or not.  That was the point of the story.
choy
Archon

« Reply #126 on: January 20, 2013, 02:04:14 PM »

Yes, sin is evil and those in the act of sinning are evil.

This is why I believe the so-called traditionalist movement in the Roman Catholic Church is bogus.  It is spearheaded by people who mask their hate and bigotry with grandeur of Roman Catholic ritual tradition.  All they clamor is traditional externals, the traditional Mass, Latin, vestments, incense, etc.  But I have never heard of them talk about traditional Christian values of love.  Its all about judging someone for their sins or even for the type of Mass they attend.

By their fruits you will know them.  That is why I became Orthodox.
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #127 on: January 20, 2013, 05:11:53 PM »

Woman what does your concern have to do with me?  Grin

Since you're not Jesus Christ, you don't get to use that line.  Roll Eyes

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »

adjective 

I see you hate me James.

Is there anyway you can stick to a topic without calling someone a "hater"?

Are we projecting again?

Mr Charles , that was a legitimate question, if you say all sinners are evil and we are to hate evil, then pray tell, WHO are we told to love? and most importantly WHO are WE? are you not a sinner like me? then we should hate one another, declare war against sinners, oh ye holly folks who declare yourselves followers of The Christ! by your definition Perhaps Christ was wrong in eating and drinking with sinners in being friend of harlots and tax collectors,perhaps he should have become like one of those androgynous palace peacocks ,who have decked themselves with the symbol of Christ's infinite Love for Mankind and yet have drunk themselves into intoxication with the theocratic dynasty they have built forthemselves in the name of the Creator. perhaps He should have accepted Pilot's proposal when He was facing his Cross, perhaps His Church today should espouse herself to the power of the State so she may not face her Cross.

your insist that the Church is in danger from the civil liberties of homosexuals. pray tell me, what kind of danger is being talked about? is it the church abandoning her Faith and condoning sin of anykind? if you believe that then you believe heresy. the gates of hell shall not prevail upon the Church of Christ. now so what is your fear you want everyone infected with? that Christ's Love is not enough to bring men to repentance? that Christ's arms are not stretched on the cross to bring all men into himself in the Spirit for the Glory of the Father? that if Christians can not live in a christian state, Christianity becomes crippled? this is a new Gospel to me. the church will have enemies , men and women of varying degree of brokenness will lash out against God against the Church of Christ, this will not change, however if the Church starts to stop being the hospital to sinners, where they get her motherly compassion, guidance in wisdom, faithful with steadfast unshakable love for all mankind, where Christ's love and mercy trumps all other human reservation, where the harlot and the virgin stand together before God who loves them alike. Where Christ the humble Physician who labours to care for the sick and the wounded, the labored and the dying. where He is touched by those covered in shame more than by those who accompany him out of their perceived importance. I assure you the Church survives because the Church has managed to Speak the Truth with LOVE at all times, this is the key that makes her different from all the heterodoxy out there, which either embraces sin as glory, or turns around and declares hate towards men and becomes a bully claiming Divine Authority.  both cups of madness the Church has seen there were those who among her chose to drink from each and they are remembered for how far they have fallen from being the Faithful Witness of Jesus Christ Crucified and Resurrected. The Messiah has rejected the offer of Pilot, His Church also will reject it and will trust in the Love of God for All Mankind : Jesus Christ Crucified and Resurrected to heal mankind of its infirmities and will Pray for those who will persecute her with compassion and love, never hate and will say with the very prayer of the Son crucified for the Love and Life of Mankind ' Forgive them Father for they know not what they do!'

I have seen you mock the trust of others in the POWER of God's Love, you forget me and you exist even now because of that Love, that Mercy. if God had judged us according to our sins, we would have been like Sodom and Gomorrah the both of us. But we are here because of that Love that sustains all and is patient with all. the level of hate we have for other human beings after we profess Christ with our lips after we have claimed to be His followers, makes our sin even worse than those of Sodom and Gomorrah. Christ was not loving the sin when He gave His VERY LIFE for US Sinners! He did not love us because we were saints, He loved us when we are sinner and loved us with the full measure of Love, and died for us sinners. I am one such sinner here to tell you that Such Love SAVES the condemned such love Regenerates the old, Vivifies the dead and with insurmountable generosity Exalts the lowly!

It is that very Love that will judge us at the end, and He goes through our heart looking for Love, saying if you have done it to one of the lowly you have done it for me. perhaps some of us are prepared to tell him how we have seen how cruel he can be, and we were afraid and we buried the talent he has given us. perhaps some of us will remind him how zealously we have campaigned for the abolishment of all sinners in his Name. how he was not there when we tolerated those lazy poor with our money and time, how even though our hearts were moved by disdain we made ourselves give that coin the homeless asked of us because it was our christian duty.what more are we supposed to do, we might say many many things, yet we will see our loquacious reason be silenced while those who Loved and showed Mercy trusting in His Mercy hear from His Pure Loving Lips,in the language of Infinite Love, the Infinite Joy of being called 'Beloved of My Father!'

Lord have Mercy!

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »

Actually, yes.

The fact that the sinful thought pop-up means that there is still lust in your heart that needs to be stomped out by prayer and asceticism.  Lustful reaction is not natural, therefore it is not okay to have them even if you didn't will the initial thought that popped into your mind.  You mean not have a tree of lust in your heart, but you certainly have the seeds of lust in there.  Many writings by saints say this.  I forgot which monk was it who was with brother monks and there was this parade of a pagan queen where she paraded around naked.  They were in the crowd and the other monks turned around so as they will not see the woman and be tempted into lustful thoughts.  While the one monk (who is a saint, I wish I have better memory) just stood there and watched.  Because he was pure in heart, he didn't even had that involuntary thought, entertained or not.  That was the point of the story.

Such is the struggle of a Christian, the weakness of humanity and the stain of the flesh.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:25 PM »

Actually, yes.

The fact that the sinful thought pop-up means that there is still lust in your heart that needs to be stomped out by prayer and asceticism. 

Maybe. It depends.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:12 PM »

People do not become their sins.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »

Tell that to satan

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
Kerdy
Moderated
Taxiarches

« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

People don't have to, but some choose to become their sin.
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

Teaching on the mountain

« Reply #134 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00:59 AM »

People don't have to, but some choose to become their sin.
I haven't cracked open a theology book in many years now but still something sounds really off in this saying of yours; you tell that to the whatever chanters that sing at say a drunkards burial " I am an image of your ineffable glory  even if I bear the wounds of sin etc" ; they even sang this to that famous Greek poet Cavafy
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:02:41 AM by augustin717 » Logged
Tags:
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: