OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 03:11:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We will have a building  (Read 633 times) Average Rating: 0
genesisone
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antioch

« on: February 26, 2013, 11:23:25 AM »

This isn't "news" in the sense that you will find it via a link or published news source (at least not yet). But neither does it fit into any of the other categories according to their descriptions. It is serious, so it doesn't fit "Other topics"; it's not "Hot/controversial/debate-intended topics dealing with Religion" so it's not Religious Topics. If there's a better place for this announcement, then I'll count on the moderators to move it.

Yesterday we signed off on the conditions of our offer to purchase a building. We have arranged financing, we've had the building inspection, and everything is in place to carry on. It's now just a matter of having our lawyer take care of all the legal matters involved in the transfer of property and we expect to get the keys on March 20!

We have bought a small Roman Catholic church that was once described as an oratory. For most of the last decade it was used by the traditionalists who wanted the Latin Mass. They outgrew the building - three packed services on Sunday. Their diocese gave them a larger building that was underused. What is now our building will be big enough for us for the foreseeable future - though I won't be upset if I'm proved wrong on that!

It needs very little work to be able to accommodate us for services. Just some adjustments to the floor of the altar, and install some light fixtures. That shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks. Of course there is whole list of things that will get done over the next few months and years. We should be holding services there for most of Lent, but especially for Holy Week and Pascha.

The rented quarters where we have been worshipping for the past ~five years have limited our ability to have services that we wanted. They also kept us invisible to the community as we couldn't have a permanent sign out front.

It will be a lot of work - but the kind of work that brings joy!
Iconodule
Uranopolitan
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA (Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania)

"My god is greater."

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 11:48:50 AM »

Glory to God!

"A riddle or the cricket's cry
Is to doubt a fit reply." - William Blake
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:50:19 AM »

Congratulations!

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:02 PM »

Glory to God! We (that is my church) recently purchased our first building as well so I know how you must feel. Though we bought an old Baptist church so it'll require a bit more work than yours it seems. Anyway, congratulations!
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 12:23:08 PM »

Great news! Thanks be to God.

angel

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
J Michael
Older than dirt; dumber than a box of rocks; colossally ignorant; a little crazy ;-)
Merarches

Faith: Byzantine Catholic

Lord, have mercy! I live under a rock. Alleluia!

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 01:09:57 PM »

Excellent!  Mazal tov!!  Wink

"May Thy Cross, O Lord, in which I seek refuge, be for me a bridge across the great river of fire.  May I pass along it to the habitation of life." ~St. Ephraim the Syrian

"Sometimes you're the windshield.  Sometimes you're the bug." ~ Mark Knopfler (?)
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

November is short. Type fast.

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 01:11:38 PM »

Wonderful news! Keep up the good work, and God bless! Smiley

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Sakeneko

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 02:43:25 PM »

Ah, *good* news! Smiley  Congratulations to you and your parish!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »

Congrats! Smiley
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

Pics, pics, pics, pics, pics
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 03:33:51 PM »

They will come in time, dear friend. In the meantime, the best I can do is suggest Google street view at this address: 332 Carlton Street, St. Catharines, ON
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 03:52:36 PM »

Glory to God!!
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 05:29:35 PM »

Glory to God!

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2013, 05:31:44 PM »

Wonderful news!  Part of me wants to belong to a mission parish someday and be able to experience such a thing. 

Slava Bohu!

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »

They will come in time, dear friend. In the meantime, the best I can do is suggest Google street view at this address: 332 Carlton Street, St. Catharines, ON

Is it that 2-storey house at the corner?

I'd love to see before and after pics.  Hopefully everything is well documented.

Check that, I found it one house down.  Google Maps didn't tag it properly.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 09:27:10 PM by choy » Logged
TheMathematician
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: American

Formerly known as Montalo

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2013, 09:29:15 PM »

I thought this was too weird of timing for a random chance. Your news was announced at the parish i was visiting(St. George in Niagara Falls, NY), and it was great to hear.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 09:39:48 PM »

For the Lazy

Pic:

/stalker
choy
Archon

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 09:54:11 PM »

By the way, don't bother looking at the parish website.  Its been taken over by those who park domains and try to sell it for more money.  All you will get are ads.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2013, 02:11:25 AM »

Glory to God!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
genesisone
Archon

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2013, 11:35:16 AM »

Is it that 2-storey house at the corner?

I'd love to see before and after pics.  Hopefully everything is well documented.

Check that, I found it one house down.  Google Maps didn't tag it properly.
Actually, you're right. The house was the rectory. The church portion is attached to it, with direct access between the two. We will use the house, which really isn't very large, as a small hall (big enough for coffee hour), some administrative space, and a bedroom for our priest who lives about 45 minutes away. He'll be able to crash there perhaps on Saturday nights once we get started having Vespers, and quite probably some nights during Holy Week. Our priest is a 71 year old widower so having this space was seen as a plus for us.

Dozens if not hundreds of pictures were taken during the inspection, but not very interesting to look at unless your thing is crawl spaces and leaky pipes  Cheesy.

Once we get the keys, we'll start photodocumenting everything, of course, so stay tuned!

And thanks to all for your prayers and encouragement.
serb1389
Lord, remember me when you come into your Kingdom!
Global Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco

Michał Kalina's biggest fan

FrNPantic
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »

this is definitely christian news!  Or you can put it in Other Topics as well, for future reference. 

I got nothing.
I forgot the maps
March 27th and May 30th 2010 were my Ordination dates, please forgive everything before that
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 08:01:45 PM »

This is exciting.  My own parish is looking to construct a new building in the not so distant future as we have outgrown the old building that was purchased years ago.  It is a repurposed Protestant church.  The parish is still growing, I think there's about 7 or 8 catechumens right now.  Most of the converts are from the last 2-3 years.  Projects like this one really is exciting and it reflects the life of the parish.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: