OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 16, 2014, 09:49:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm heading back to Church  (Read 924 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Ruthenian Greek Catholic
Jurisdiction: Eparchy of Pheonix

« on: January 14, 2013, 03:01:08 AM »

I could use your prayers, everyone.

I find that I'm often too enthusiastic to share intimate details here, so to keep a long story short, I'm going back to Church. 

Please pray for me that my return will be permanent, that my confession will be sincere, and that I will get through whatever comes from the parishioners that I haven't seen in nearly one year.

(Also asking my three favorite saints, St. Tikhon, St. Petka, and St. Silouan for help.)

Thank you for your prayers!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 03:22:23 AM »

Please pray for me that my return will be permanent
I pray that it will be to your salvation and joy.

Most people run away from the Father's House several times a day. I've found it destructive to say to myself: "this time, I've made a declaration to be forever different/doing the right thing/faithful". Instead, trust in God's love and friendship toward mankind.

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
SolEX01
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of New Jersey

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:54:05 AM »

Glory to God!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 06:41:27 AM »

Lord have mercy!
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox. With some feta, please.

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 08:59:45 AM »

Welcome back. Smiley

elephant
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOAA

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 09:15:52 AM »

Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy Lord Have Mercy
Most Holy Theotokos Save Us
Holy Father Nektarios Pray For Us
Dominika
Serbian/Polish
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church of Poland

St. Luke, pray for us!

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:58 AM »

Welcome back home!  Wink

Lord have mercy!

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria
genesisone
Archon

Jurisdiction: Antioch

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2013, 10:39:53 AM »

Lord, have mercy!
You continue in my prayers, Trevor.
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2013, 10:43:38 AM »

Lord have mercy!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2013, 10:44:52 AM »

I've found it destructive to say to myself: "this time, I've made a declaration to be forever different/doing the right thing/faithful". Instead, trust in God's love and friendship toward mankind.

Great advice.  Smiley

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai

"Our idea of God tells us more about ourselves than about Him." - Thomas Merton
Hiwot
Christ is Risen!
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo Church

Job 19:25-27

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:26 AM »

I've found it destructive to say to myself: "this time, I've made a declaration to be forever different/doing the right thing/faithful". Instead, trust in God's love and friendship toward mankind.

Great advice.  Smiley

absolutely!

Trevor +Hug+

you will remain in my prayers as well my dear.

To God be the Glory in all things! Amen!

Only pray for me, that God would give me both inward and outward strength, that I may not only speak, but truly will; and that I may not merely be called a Christian, but really be found to be one. St.Ignatius of Antioch.Epistle to the Romans.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2013, 11:11:33 AM »

Thank you for the support, everyone!!!   Smiley

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
Orest
High Elder

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2013, 11:18:38 AM »

You are in my prayers.  May God strengthen you.
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »

Thanks be to God.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2013, 01:01:34 PM »

Lord have mercy!

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2013, 01:23:33 PM »

God be with you!

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »

Wherever you are, God is present. It's just that His love and grace are profoundly and mystically experienced in paticipation in the Divine Liturgy. I myself still struggle with my former Evangelical guilt. I miss Liturgy too often, but not because I want to. Yet I feel guilty and worry what others will think about me. But God knows our hearts, and we strive to do the best we can. If we really understood divine grace, we would never flee it.

And by the way, let me say this to you... I have been greatly encouraged by your honesty and openess on this forum. I wish I'd had your spiritual thirst and understanding when I was your age. You and I may have some profound differences on various issues, but I sense that you have a sincere heart and a compassionate spirit. God works wondrous things through such humble and honest folks.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2013, 02:15:42 PM »

Welcome Home, Trevor Tikhon!

I pray that you find whatever you were missing before and are content and happy!!!

This is great news!

May God help you, guide you and comfort you, always!

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:54 PM »

Wherever you are, God is present. It's just that His love and grace are profoundly and mystically experienced in paticipation in the Divine Liturgy. I myself still struggle with my former Evangelical guilt. I miss Liturgy too often, but not because I want to. Yet I feel guilty and worry what others will think about me. But God knows our hearts, and we strive to do the best we can. If we really understood divine grace, we would never flee it.

And by the way, let me say this to you... I have been greatly encouraged by your honesty and openess on this forum. I wish I'd had your spiritual thirst and understanding when I was your age. You and I may have some profound differences on various issues, but I sense that you have a sincere heart and a compassionate spirit. God works wondrous things through such humble and honest folks.

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

Thank you very much, Gebre, for your entire message.  About the part that I've bolded: I'm only a kid, and any "opinions" I have had or currently hold aren't based on very much and are likely to change as I get older and have more life experiences.  I try not to take myself too seriously, and I'm no longer afraid to say that I don't know where I stand on things like social and political issues.  I'm still learning who I am and what I stand for, and I appreciate your patience. Smiley

marigold
OC.net guru

Faith: Greek Orthodox

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:30:07 PM »

Lord, have mercy on Trevor72694. Grant him strength on his journey.
Dear Trevor, may Saint Tikhon intercede for you always.
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

Thank you very much, Gebre, for your entire message.  About the part that I've bolded: I'm only a kid, and any "opinions" I have had or currently hold aren't based on very much and are likely to change as I get older and have more life experiences.  I try not to take myself too seriously, and I'm no longer afraid to say that I don't know where I stand on things like social and political issues.  I'm still learning who I am and what I stand for, and I appreciate your patience. Smiley

Don't ever lose that humble attitude brother. We can't learn and grow if we think we already know everything. One thing I still desperately need to learn is humility. I am an arrogant fool. God help me.

Selam

"If we are unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we demonstrate that we are interested not in the truth so much as in being right." ~ Thomas Merton ~
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 10:14:30 PM »

"Lord have mercy."

Selam

Don't ever lose that humble attitude brother. We can't learn and grow if we think we already know everything. One thing I still desperately need to learn is humility. I am an arrogant fool. God help me.

Selam
All we can do is try and rely on Christ's mercy.

“…in the one who is humble of heart, the degree of piety is equal to the degree of his humility.”
-St. Symeon the New Theologian

Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Catechumen
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2013, 01:38:51 AM »

Glad to hear this. Lord have mercy on Trevor.

Countdown to our Baptisms and Chrismations:

Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2013, 06:14:57 PM »

I went to see Father today.

We started out with a tour of the Church.  It's the same Church, but so new!  There are now hand painted icons out for veneration (on brand new stands,) and the old printed ones are now on lower stands for the children to venerate.  Father is painting the Church, and it looks fantastic.

I had a fantastic talk with father, and I'm so happy to be back in the Church.  we scheduled my confession for after liturgy next Sunday.  I'll be abstaining from holy communion, since I received in the Episcopal Church, for a couple of months.  He and I are of like mind, wanting to make sure that I'm sincere in my return.

I'm really happy.  I'll go to liturgy tomorrow.  It'll be great. Smiley

Thanks for your prayers!

mabsoota
Archon

Jurisdiction: Coptic

Kyrie eleison

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2013, 05:35:11 PM »

i don't normally comment on status updates, but i have been praying and will continue to pray.
it is great to hear of u back in church.
please pray for me too, a sinner.
Symeon77

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese

'with fear and trembling work out your salvation.'

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2013, 06:04:09 PM »

Glory be to Jesus Christ! God grant you good patience!

I went to see Father today.

We started out with a tour of the Church.  It's the same Church, but so new!  There are now hand painted icons out for veneration (on brand new stands,) and the old printed ones are now on lower stands for the children to venerate.  Father is painting the Church, and it looks fantastic.

I had a fantastic talk with father, and I'm so happy to be back in the Church.  we scheduled my confession for after liturgy next Sunday.  I'll be abstaining from holy communion, since I received in the Episcopal Church, for a couple of months.  He and I are of like mind, wanting to make sure that I'm sincere in my return.

I'm really happy.  I'll go to liturgy tomorrow.  It'll be great. Smiley

Thanks for your prayers!

Where Christianity disappears, greed, envy, and lust invent a thousand ideologies to justify themselves.~ Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Abba Anthony said, "A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'You are mad, you are not like us.'"
richi000

Jurisdiction: Antioch

Lord have mercy on us

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2013, 09:45:24 PM »

Lord have mercy!
Welcome back

Remember, never to fear the power of evil more than your trust in the power and love of God.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: