OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 21, 2014, 04:49:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monks in Antioch???  (Read 1726 times) Average Rating: 0
Ortho Celt

« on: January 04, 2005, 10:04:44 PM »

Well I am a new convert to the Antiochian Church. I spent almost 6 years as a Franciscan in the Catholic Church, and I have been praying upon continuing a vocation after a few years of growing in my Orthodox Faith. But I have noticed that there are no Monastics in the Antiochian Archdiocese of NA. Would anybody happen to know why?

Catechumen Michael
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 10:06:02 PM by mmatga2me99 » Logged

Sìth Chrìosda,
Catechumen Todd "Michael"

"Do not trust your mind too much; thinking must be refined by suffering, or it will not stand the test of these cruel times."

-Fr. Seraphim Rose
Letters from Fa
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 10:21:50 PM »

Oh, no!  Here it comes...  Tongue

BTW, welcome, Michael! 

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

Mor Ephrem > Justin Kissel
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:26:42 PM »

Well I am a new convert to the Antiochian Church.  I spent almost 6 years as a Franciscan in the Catholic Church, and I have been praying upon continuing a vocation after a few years of growing in my Orthodox Faith.  But I have noticed that there are no Monastics in the Antiochian Archdiocese of NA.  Would anybody happen to know why?

Catechumen Michael

Well, the short, face value, non-polemnical answer is that there are - just that the ones who are in a monatery happen to be in monasteries of other Orthodox Jurisdicitions (e.g. Greek Orthodox Archdioces or Orthodox Church in America).

...and Welcome to the Board.
Ortho Celt

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 10:31:25 PM »

Here what comes?  What did I start? Smiley

Sìth Chrìosda,

"Do not trust your mind too much; thinking must be refined by suffering, or it will not stand the test of these cruel times."

-Fr. Seraphim Rose
Letters from Fa
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 10:36:48 PM »

I believe if you use the search feature on top and search for Antioch and monastery(might have to fool with the search terms a little), you will be able to find some info.

As Elisha said, it has been a topic of controversy in times past, hence Mor Ephrem's reaction.

R
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 11:04:31 PM »

As well a "Welcome", apparently a Happy Birthday is in order also  Afro

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 12:24:17 AM »

Oh, no!  Here it comes...  Tongue

HAHA lol Cheesy

My lips are sealed on this thread because I know I will get angry.. Do a search and see some of the insane people lurking on Orthodox websites that make outrageous claims against the Antiochians. I beleive they have some good points on a few things such as a lack of a monastic presence in this country, but most of it is nitpicking. Welcome to the forum!!! 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 07:57:39 AM »

Catechumen Michael:

Have you considered visiting the monks of New Skete in Cambridge, New York? They are an Orthodox monastic community that was formerly Roman Catholic and Franciscan that embraced Orthodoxy probably at least twenty years ago. Since many of them have walked the same path you are now walking, they might be able to help and point you in the right direction.

Good to have you join here on the forum.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 08:53:15 AM »

Michael,

My advice, worthless as it probably is, is to take the questions you have and ask priests. Ask Antiochian, Greek, ROCA... ask a lot of them. They might give bad information, but I think your soul will be better off on judgment day for having asked people who actually have some authority to give answers to your questions.

St. Gregory the Theologian joked in one of his Orations that maybe the Church should institute a vow of silence like the one Greek philosophical school had done. He was joking because he meant that his theological opponents (and everyone else) would be better off if they would just shut up. Personally, I think there should be a rule that people cannot participate on internet discussions for the first 3 years after they become Orthodox. It would save a lot of heartache (not to mention misinformation).
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 08:55:44 AM by Paradosis » Logged

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Ortho Celt

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 09:39:35 AM »

My advice, worthless as it probably is, is to take the questions you have and ask priests. Ask Antiochian, Greek, ROCA... ask a lot of them. They might give bad information, but I think your soul will be better off on judgment day for having asked people who actually have some authority to give answers to your questions.

Already been doing so. Good advice.

Personally, I think there should be a rule that people cannot participate on internet discussions for the first 3 years after they become Orthodox. It would save a lot of heartache (not to mention misinformation).

Well I guess I am banned!! Smiley

Don't worry, as a long time internet user, I take what I read with a grain of salt. I do find the forums are good places for discussion, but in the end it should be with a priest.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:41:54 AM by mmatga2me99 » Logged

Sìth Chrìosda,

-Fr. Seraphim Rose
Letters from Fa
NickolaiOJ

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Forgive Me, the Sinner.

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2005, 10:09:45 PM »

I would advise much like Paradosis has.  Talk to priests.  They has speacial knowledge that we don't have.  plus go on a few pilgrimages to Orthodox Monastaries of the other jurisdicions.  I suggest St. Tikhon's (OCA) or Holy Trinity (ROCOR), becuase they actually follow traditional Orthodox Monasticism, New Skete doesn't.   
Ortho Celt

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2005, 10:19:21 PM »

A few months ago I had the priveledge to go on a retreat to the Monastery of the Glorious Ascension (Jerusalem Patriarchate), which was much needed.  Not be a Catechumen at the time, I found it really wasn't my place to ask.  Not even sure if as a Catechumen it is my place to ask.

Sìth Chrìosda,

-Fr. Seraphim Rose
Letters from Fa
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 05:18:49 AM »

Throughout the history of Orthodoxy true monasticism has been met with disdain by members of the more "official" parts of the Church.  But the Church through her councils and the witness of the saints has vindicated the monastic life.  There were times in Russian history where the tsars opposed and exiled various hesychasts and the great and saintly Optina elders were opposed by their bishops.  The same battle is present today as some do not see monasticism in the "vision" of the Church.  The best sources to read in this case are the lives of the saints particularly Sts. Gregory Palamas, Paisius Velichkovsky, Leonid of Optina et al.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: