OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 01, 2014, 08:30:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking Info about the 77 canons Bible  (Read 411 times) Average Rating: 0
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Faith: Non-denominational

Dragon Slayer

« on: January 13, 2013, 08:25:35 PM »

Greetings to all,

I've had a vision a few months ago about a 77 canons Bible and how it compares to the 66 canons Bible. I searched for information about this Bible and found a statement Online that said some Eastern Orthodox Churches use a 77 canons Bible.

I am seeking all information available about this 77 canons Bible and I would also like to read it Online if it's available. I was led to Orthodoxy after being a Protestant by birth in this country of the USA. This vision is only one of many that has inspired me to investigate this Bible.

The vision showed me how the 77 is part of the Seal of God-777. The subject is lengthy and spiritual and so I'm searching for answers.

I thank all contributors in advance.

God bless!
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 08:43:43 PM »

Historical authorities on scripture:

http://www.oodegr.com/english/ag_grafi/biblia.grafis1.htm

I'm going to need this.
dcommini
Tha mi sgulan na Trianaid
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Beannachd Dia dhuit

dcommini
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 09:24:45 PM »

This site only lists 76 as opposed to 77. But I guess you could add the Book of Enoch (for our Ethiopian brothers), Maccabees IV, Shepherd of Hermas, the Didache, or some others to make 77.

Gun cuireadh do chupa thairis le slàinte agus sona - May your cup overflow with health and happiness
Check out my blog...
pmpn8rGPT
Grammar Nazi in three languages.
OC.net guru

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Eastern Orthodox (old calendarist)

Proof that Russia won the Space Race.

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 12:14:34 AM »

This site only lists 76 as opposed to 77. But I guess you could add the Book of Enoch (for our Ethiopian brothers), Maccabees IV, Shepherd of Hermas, the Didache, or some others to make 77.
Don't forget The Epistle of Barnabas Wink

"Tomorrow, I shall no longer be here."
-Nostradamus's last words.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: Agnostic

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:41 AM »

When it comes to Scripture, "canon" (measuring stick or guide) is what we call the entire collection of books, so we speak X number of books being in the canon, but not 66 or 77 canons (except when you're talking about canons from Councils and Fathers, but that's a whole other thing).

Problem: John finds a spider under his bed. John eats the spider. John gets sick to his stomach.

Question: Why did John get sick?
NUMB3R7
Dragon Slayer

Faith: Non-denominational

Dragon Slayer

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »

Thanks for the info and the correction about "canons", I'm still learning a few things about Bibles. I found the following info about the Gutenberg Bible, which is a 77 book Bible. I would like to know if any Eastern Orthodox Churches and who they are that use a 77 book canon, Bible, being the Gutenberg or another.

Wikipedia
Books of the Latin Vulgate
Other Editions
"The list is for the Clementine Vulgate. Other editions of the Vulgate vary in the Apocrypha, in the order of the books, and in the names of the books.
The Gutenberg Bible mixes the apocrypha into the Old Testament, with the Prayer of Manasses following 2 Paralipomenon, and 3 and 4 Esdras following 1 Esdras and Nehemias. The Prayer of Solomon follows Ecclesiasticus. It thus has 50 books in the Old Testament and 27 in the New, for a total of 77 books.
The New Vulgate changes the name of Ecclesiasticus to Liber Siracidae; Tobiae is called Thobis. Although the New Vulgate contains the Deuterocanonical books, it omits the three apocrypha entirely. It thus has a total of only 73 books.
The Stuttgart Vulgate adds Psalm 151 and Paul's Epistle to the Laodiceans to the Apocrypha. It thus has 5 books in the Apocrypha, 46 in the Old Testament, and 27 in the New, for a total of 78 books. The spelling of proper names in this edition is irregular and inconsistent, so the names of many of the books were altered, e.g. Naum for Nahum."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Books_of_the_Latin_Vulgate

Wikipedia
Gutenberg Bible
Recent history
"Today, few copies remain in religious institutions, with most now owned by university libraries and other major scholarly institutions. After centuries in which all copies seem to have remained in Europe, the first Gutenberg Bible reached North America in 1847. It is now in the New York Public Library.[30] In the last hundred years, several long-lost copies have come to light, and our understanding of how the Bible was produced and distributed has improved considerably.[22] The only copy held outside Europe or North America is the first volume of a Gutenberg Bible (Hubay 45) at Keio University in Tokyo. The HUMI Project team at Keio University is known for its high-quality digital images of Gutenberg Bibles and other rare books.[31]
In 1921 a New York book dealer, Gabriel Wells, bought a damaged paper copy, dismantled the book and sold sections and individual leaves to book collectors and libraries. The leaves were sold in a portfolio case with an essay written by A. Edward Newton, and were referred to as "Noble Fragments".[32] In 1953 Charles Scribner's Sons, also book dealers in New York, dismembered a paper copy of volume II. The largest portion of this, the New Testament, is now owned by Indiana University. The matching first volume of this copy was subsequently discovered in Mons, Belgium.[10]
The last sale of a complete Gutenberg Bible took place in 1978. It fetched $2.2 million. This copy is now in Stuttgart.[30] The price of a complete copy today is estimated at $25−35 million.[2][3] Individual leaves now sell for $20,000–$100,000, depending upon condition and the desirability of the page."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

Wikipedia
Gutenberg Bible
Surviving copies
"As of 2009, 48 42-line Bibles are known to exist, but of these only 21 are complete. Others have leaves or even whole volumes missing. In addition, there are a substantial number of fragments, some as small as individual leaves, which are likely to represent about another 16 copies. Many of these fragments have survived because they were used as part of the binding of later books.[22] There are twelve surviving copies on vellum, although only four of these are complete and one is of the New Testament only.
The country with the most copies of any kind is Germany, which has thirteen, while the United States has eleven, and the United Kingdom eight. New York has four copies, Paris and London have three each, and Mainz, the Vatican City and Moscow have two each. The country with the most complete copies is the United Kingdom with seven, the United States five, Germany three, and France two. Institutions which have copies on permanent display include the Gutenberg Museum in Mainz, the British Library and the Library of Congress.
Copy numbers listed below are as found in the Incunabula Short Title Catalogue, taken from a 1985 survey of existing copies by Ilona Hubay; the two copies in Russia were not known to exist in 1985, and so were not catalogued."
source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gutenberg_Bible

Some points that concern me, (my notes):
*Eleven (11) USA locations have at least one copy, partial or complete. (11 is significant Image in code)
*Few copies remain in religious institutions. (Eastern Orthodoxy? who & where?)
*It reached North America in 1847. (Just before NWO 1848, uncanny timing)
*A complete copy today is estimated at $25−35 million. (The rarity and cost of a single copy
Tags: Bible  Canons  77 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: