OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 31, 2014, 12:10:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Intercession of friends and family members?  (Read 376 times) Average Rating: 0
Eastern Mind
Hi! I'm Olaf and I like warm hugs!
High Elder

Faith: Orthodox Hopeful
Jurisdiction: Greece

« on: January 13, 2013, 10:14:19 AM »

Say you have a friend or family member that has been dead for a while; and let's say they weren't Orthodox Christians, but rather Catholic or Protestant; would it be okay to ask for their intercession, or instead, should I rather pray for them?

Thanks Smiley

"ALL THE GODS OF THE HINDUS ARE DEMONS HAHAHAHAHA!!"
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 10:54:45 PM »

Say you have a friend or family member that has been dead for a while; and let's say they weren't Orthodox Christians, but rather Catholic or Protestant; would it be okay to ask for their intercession, or instead, should I rather pray for them?

Thanks Smiley

The only way I could answer this is with another question...

With so many others to ask to pray for you.... why would you do that?

Also, they don't have to be dead to ask for intercession.  You can ask anybody to pray for you.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 11:05:04 PM »

Thanks Smiley

The only way I could answer this is with another question...

With so many others to ask to pray for you.... why would you do that?

Also, they don't have to be dead to ask for intercession.  You can ask anybody to pray for you.

I appreciate your comments, but I was looking for an Orthodox response.

LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 11:58:35 PM »

Why would you ask this reposed non-Orthodox to intercede for you?

I've never thought of asking my deceased family members to intercede.  After all, do we know where they are, that they are able to intercede?  Why does everyone assume that when someone is dead, they must be in heaven, in a better place?

We don't know that.

We pray that God forgive them their earthly sins, and grant them eternal rest with His saints...

Even saints have been known to ask those who pray to them, to in turn pray for that saint's reposed parents or loved ones.  Therefore, even the saints ask those who are still living to pray for their departed family members.  That always amazes me.

Rather than ask your non-Orthodox departed family/friend....talk straight to God, or if you feel you can't...than ask a known Saint for help.

I'm Orthodox, and that's just my opinion....not necessarily an "Orthodox" opinion....just a personal one.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 07:04:18 PM »

Why would you ask this reposed non-Orthodox to intercede for you?

I've never thought of asking my deceased family members to intercede.  After all, do we know where they are, that they are able to intercede?  Why does everyone assume that when someone is dead, they must be in heaven, in a better place?

We don't know that.

We pray that God forgive them their earthly sins, and grant them eternal rest with His saints...

Even saints have been known to ask those who pray to them, to in turn pray for that saint's reposed parents or loved ones.  Therefore, even the saints ask those who are still living to pray for their departed family members.  That always amazes me.

Rather than ask your non-Orthodox departed family/friend....talk straight to God, or if you feel you can't...than ask a known Saint for help.

I'm Orthodox, and that's just my opinion....not necessarily an "Orthodox" opinion....just a personal one.

I understand what you mean. I guess I just miss my friend, and asking for her to pray for me would help me. Or so I felt. Maybe, since she was not Orthodox, it would be best to pray for her instead? Maybe I will start doing that. I think I'll ask my priest about this too.

I never knew that about saints who ask us to pray for their family members. That's really great.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 09:07:02 PM »

Yes, pray for her. And speak with your priest.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Eastern Mind
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 09:31:01 PM »

Yes, pray for her. And speak with your priest.

Will do.

theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 11:00:50 PM »

Last night I stayed in a hotel room where John Wayne once stayed (according to the owners). They tried to claim it was haunted, but knowing "The Duke" had a deathbed conversion,  I prayed for his soul and then asked him to guard my room while I slept.

Not one other ghost bothered me. Thanks, Duke! Cheesy

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: