OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 20, 2014, 12:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arabs  (Read 202 times) Average Rating: 0
mike
Stratopedarches

« on: January 12, 2013, 11:40:40 AM »

Do Arabs consider themselves more as Arabs or more as members of a particular nation? Is there a distance between a Moroccan or ie. a Syrian (or Lebanian, Palestinian, Libian, Egyptian whatever)?

Just curious.

Byzantinism
no longer posting here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »

I would imagine that historically there are differences. Whether those who today identify themselves as Arabs agree is another question.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Merarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 11:50:48 AM »

Do Arabs consider themselves more as Arabs or more as members of a particular nation? Is there a distance between a Moroccan or ie. a Syrian (or Lebanian, Palestinian, Libian, Egyptian whatever)?

Just curious.

It depends.  You see more of an Arab spirit I think in places like Syria, Jordan, or Lebanon.  But in Egypt, usually people are much more proud of being Egyptian than Arab (even Muslims), while still maintaining a more inferior pride of being Arab.  Those who do maintain a much higher pride in being Arab in Egypt, I tend to find them very Islamist, and trying to associate themselves with the Saudis.

In any case, it just depends.  I'm not sure how other North Africans consider themselves.  In the whole scheme of things, we all bond together in our "Arabicness" (and most especially for human rights concerns, such as Palestine), but every nation has different views on what it means to be Arab, and sometimes even subculturally.  Many Copts for instance loathe their identification as Arab, whereas I personally don't mind being called an Arab.  I can care less.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:51:37 AM by minasoliman » Logged

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: