OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 11:32:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Doesn't God Talk to Anyone?  (Read 1002 times) Average Rating: 0
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« on: January 12, 2013, 05:06:45 AM »

This is a question that always intrigued me ever since I was a child. Why doesn't God talk to anyone? I mean, besides the whole abstract "God communicates in mysterious ways" thing, I don't understand why He literally just does not talk to anyone. The only times you ever hear or read about this is either in the Bible or in rare cases with the Saints who were able to talk to Him. Is it that God chooses not to talk to us for some reason, or is it that as fallen humans we cannot fathom the speech of God until we become holier and more deified like the Saints? Or somewher in between? If God just talked to the world, one simple sentence "Hey guys, I'm God. Orthodox Christianity is the right religion." and maybe performed one miracle--like made doughnuts rain from the sky--then everyone in the world would convert. But why doesn't He?

People talk about having a relationship with Him but I don't get it. How do you have that with someone who won't talk to you? I fantasize over being able to talk to God. If I just had five minutes with Him to ask some of the deepest questions I have, then I would truly be content in my faith and nothing would ever be able to shatter it.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:47 AM »

My guess is people don't listen.
SavedByChrist94

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Born-Again

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 06:03:46 AM »

Free Will.
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 06:06:32 AM »

Too much noise around to hear the still small voice. Wink

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 10:57:26 AM »

God rose Lazarus from the dead and people didn't believe, so how can you be sure if it rained donuts you would believe?  Also you can ask God directly why He doesn't speak the way you would like Him to, ya just have to ask and ask and ask until He gets fed up and finally answers you, ya know like the widow and the judge  laugh. Problem is do any of us ask and ask and ask anymore?

Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 11:14:30 AM »

We ask for what we want to hear.
We do not listen to the answer we do not want to hear.

There is the main problem through all times. And still today, thousands of years later: we still do not understand.

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 11:42:07 AM »

I think perhaps if we saw or heard even a small bit of the glory of God, we might either panic or have a heart attack on the spot. Many times in Scripture, the Lord uses instead something like the burning bush, or sends an angel. In the Transfiguration, Our Lord presents His face in glory - but only as far as His disciples were able to see Him. So, this may be seen as a product of God's mercy and protection.

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 11:47:05 AM »

This is a question that always intrigued me ever since I was a child. Why doesn't God talk to anyone? I mean, besides the whole abstract "God communicates in mysterious ways" thing, I don't understand why He literally just does not talk to anyone. The only times you ever hear or read about this is either in the Bible or in rare cases with the Saints who were able to talk to Him. Is it that God chooses not to talk to us for some reason, or is it that as fallen humans we cannot fathom the speech of God until we become holier and more deified like the Saints? Or somewher in between? If God just talked to the world, one simple sentence "Hey guys, I'm God. Orthodox Christianity is the right religion." and maybe performed one miracle--like made doughnuts rain from the sky--then everyone in the world would convert. But why doesn't He?

People talk about having a relationship with Him but I don't get it. How do you have that with someone who won't talk to you? I fantasize over being able to talk to God. If I just had five minutes with Him to ask some of the deepest questions I have, then I would truly be content in my faith and nothing would ever be able to shatter it.

First, this lament recalls "tempting the Lord".

Second, why do you assume that He does NOT communicate?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 11:47:34 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
psalm110
Elder

Faith: Christianity
Jurisdiction: Orthodox

Orthodox Christian

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 11:57:45 AM »

What if you just wanted God to show you the Truth ?.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2013, 12:09:50 PM »

You can't handle the truth!

« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 12:11:02 PM by Aindriú » Logged

I'm going to need this.
Wyatt
Archon

Faith: Catholic

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2013, 12:32:47 PM »

My guess is because the Saints and the authors of the Scriptures were extraordinary people. God talked to Moses, but did He talk to every run-of-the-mill Israelite?
theistgal
Byzantine (Ruthenian) Catholic gadfly
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Follower of Jesus Christ
Jurisdiction: Byzantine Catholic

don't even go there!

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2013, 04:47:10 PM »

IIRC God talked audibly to human beings for @33+ years.

"Sometimes, you just gotta say, 'OK, I still have nine live, two-headed animals' and move on.'' (owner of Coney Island freak show, upon learning he'd been outbid on a 5-legged puppy)
Ashman618
High Elder

Faith: Ukranian catholic
Jurisdiction: Philadelphia

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2013, 04:56:51 PM »

I wonder how many people have wonder this question since there were beings that could wonder?
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 01:16:58 AM »

God does often show people the truth, but sometimes the person may not be ready for the answer, may not be listening, or there may be some problem with the question or the way in which it was asked.

Going to church frequently, going to confession, receiving communion, praying, fasting, reading, meeting with a priest, doing the Lord's commendments, and waiting patiently is an excellent strategy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Kerdy
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 02:39:51 AM »

IIRC God talked audibly to human beings for @33+ years.
And throughout the OT
WPM
Revolutionary Writer
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 06:10:34 AM »

Why Doesn't God Talk to Anyone?

I don't know...To stop auditory hallucinations?..He spoke to Moses in the form of a Burning Bush in the Old Testament Christian Bible.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 06:11:25 AM by WPM » Logged
walter1234
High Elder

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:32:15 AM »

If God speak to me , How can I know that voice is from God?

How to identify God' s voice, our / human voice and evil voice?
Seraphim98
High Elder

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 12:23:16 PM »

Why doesn't the rainbow shine brighter so that blind people can see it too?

The problem is not God's speaking. If you read the lives of saints and Holy Elders, it is clear He communicates one way or the other pretty clearly when necessary. The problem is us having "ears to hear." Consider the iconostasis in your temple. Why is it there, and why is it covered in icons?

Do you recall how in the Liturgy at one point the priest says, "Holy Things for the holy." Prior to that portion of the Liturgy a deacon or priest says, "The doors the doors…" The old signal for catechumens and those in penitent status to depart. That is the reason for the iconostasis. It shields the eyes of those not permitted from beholding what belongs only to the faithful. The icons depict the mystery for those whose eyes are too dull to see whether of the faithful or not.  A truly spiritual person would see what is happening anyway, the iconostasis would be no impediment to behold the angels and holy glory. 

The problem is us. God speaks, God acts, but we are blind and deaf and largely insensible.  That is why we are in the Hospital of the Great Physician…so that we may be healed.
Aindriú
Faster! Funnier!
Protokentarchos

Faith: Cynical
Jurisdiction: Vestibule of Hell

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2013, 12:53:23 PM »

If I had a good picture for mental gymnastics right now...

I'm going to need this.
Punch
Protokentarchos

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: Body of Christ

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 03:05:47 PM »

James,

I believe that He does talk to people.  He speaks to us indirectly, yet in a very real manner, through His Word, the Holy Scriptures.  He speaks to us through His Creation.  He sometimes even speaks directly to our Spirit.  It is not He that does not speak, it is we who do not listen.  God is a Spirit.  In fact, He is more than that. He is existance itself.  Those that have a relationship with Him know that.  But so many, particularly in the Orthodox Church, still see God as "out there" and even go so far as to deny that we can have a real and personal relationship with God.  Abraham was called "the Friend of God".  God spoke to him directly.  If our Faith is like that of Abraham, we, too, will hear the voice of God.  Yet, even in our current state, He still speaks to us through His Word.

I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.
Antonis
"The Most Honourable The Morquess of Something"
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of San Francisco Outside of San Francisco

You must try this Balkan blend, Barsanuphius.

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:59 PM »

John 20:29

Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

As I dissipate, Christ precipitates.
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2013, 12:42:03 AM »

Well, I think you might find this homily helpful called http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/short-catholic-homilies-for-epiphany-following-gods-guidance/ called Following Gods Guidance.

God Does speak to us
1)  Through his Church
2)  In the scriptures, Holy People
3)  Through those in lawful authority (Matt 28:18)
4)   In our conscience and in silence.

Last please consider this

Luke 16

And the rich man also died: and he was buried in hell. 23 And lifting up his eyes when he was in torments, he saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom: 24 And he cried, and said: Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, to cool my tongue: for I am tormented in this flame. 25 And Abraham said to him: Son, remember that thou didst receive good things in thy lifetime, and likewise Lazareth evil things, but now he is comforted; and thou art tormented. 26 And besides all this, between us and you, there is fixed a great chaos: so that they who would pass from hence to you, cannot, nor from thence come hither. 27 And he said: Then, father, I beseech thee, that thou wouldst send him to my father's house, for I have five brethren, 28 That he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torments. 29 And Abraham said to him: They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them. 30 But he said: No, father Abraham: but if one went to them from the dead, they will do penance. 31 And he said to him: If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they believe, if one rise again from the dead.

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
domNoah

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of San Bernadino

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 12:52:39 AM »

"Hey guys, I'm God. Orthodox Christianity is the right religion." and maybe performed one miracle--like made doughnuts rain from the sky--then everyone in the world would convert. But why doesn't He?

My Friend the Sun Dance at Fatima, water shot out of the ground at Lourdes, the Tilma still has not decayed in Mexico of Our Lady of Guadalpe, you can Go to Italy, France, Spain, Germany and other places and see incorrupt Saints, their are places where dried blood becomes liquid on the Feast of Saints, Icons, Statues and other holy objects drip myryh, Holy Oil and sometimes blood.

Their are weeping icons, tombers that disappear, Eucharistic Hosts that bleed, a while ago as a side project I began recording miracles that had happend in the last 30 years on a blog http://john448.blogspot.com/  because one of my friends did not believe the incredible stories that I told him because they happened to long ago.  They happen all the time.

People though don't want to be converted, so miracles get attributed to the Devil or to delusion, medical miracles get dismissed as if prayer was some type of placebo, weeping icons, deception etc.

If tomorrow audible heard the voice of God, how would you know it was God and not a demon, or it was not a delusion?

"I hope that when you come to die your last breath may utter that name of Jesus with deep confidence, and that our Lord will answer your dying sigh with an affectionate welcome into his heavenly court." http://tinyurl.com/agubd5u

http://www.alleluiaaudiobooks.com/
Ioannis Climacus
High Elder

"There is no religion higher than TRUTH"

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2013, 01:04:51 PM »

People though don't want to be converted, so miracles get attributed to the Devil or to delusion, medical miracles get dismissed as if prayer was some type of placebo, weeping icons, deception etc.
Converted to what? Roman Catholicism? That which you call miracles (faith healing, "sun dancing", etc.) can be found in Orthodoxy too, as well as countless other faiths. Your church hardly has any claim to uniqueness in this respect.

Note : Many of my posts (especially the ones antedating late 2012) do not reflect charity, tact, or even views I presently hold. Please forgive me for any antagonism I have caused.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2013, 10:53:44 PM »

There's lots of EASY ways to answer this... However, they are tongue and cheek.
An easy answer would be "because we aren't listening".

So I'll just tell you, I don't know.  I only have theory.

I believe God created us here on Earth so that we could decide whether or not we go to heaven or hell.  If we are saved or die the 2nd death...

Being so direct would eradicate the diversity of it all.  From rich, poor, variance of colors, customs, etc.  Where would we all be if God came down and made a major announcement so the entire world would witness?  We wouldn't have much of a choice but to follow him then.  We really would not have freewill after the world witnessed such an event.

I think it has to do with freewill.

I deal with your question a lot. I do not believe at all you have to be Eastern Orthodox to be saved either - I really don't even think it increases your chances of it.   I believe mostly it has to do with how much you followed God's will.  For example, I had a great grandmother who died 12 years ago.  She was a WONDERFUL person, and southern baptist.  She was dedicated in her faith, often quoted scripture, was a matriarch of the family.  She made wonderful homemade pies.  She loved her husband of 65 years dearly, the last 12 of which she took care of him and bathed him daily.    Then she held bible studies with all the old ladies in the community every Monday and Thursday night.

On Sundays they would bombard their church with a lot of food.  She was always there and was very generous to people.  Charitable.

I don't know if she was baptized by triple immersion.
I do not know if she ever recited the creed, venerated icons, or had the Eucharist as we know it.
I do not know if she ever went to confession.

If she was to go to hell for her wonderful life, most of us are doomed.... I know I would be.

Anyway, I think God wants to see what we do to find him... To yearn for him...

Something like that anyway.

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2013, 11:03:54 PM »

You guys have all made some interesting points and I guess I will share my thoughts now. I think that God probably WILL directly speak to us--however, only if it will contribute to our salvation or not. I think that maybe if God did something amazingly obvious to announce His presence, it would probably cause chaos for humanity. How many of us would despair and be afraid? How many of us would just pretend to worship Him out of fear? etc. Maybe He wants us to discover Him for ourselves--maybe it's more about the journey than the actual experience of hearing Him speak. By only communicating to us through subtle ways--like the Scriptures, Church, our conscience etc.--He gradually redeems us and draws us closer to Him, and then once we reach a deeper level of closeness--like that of the Saints maybe--then we can experience Him in His fullness, like many of the Saints did--when we are ready and it will be beneficial to our salvation. Kinda how when a parent doesn't want their child to do something stupid, oftentimes instead of just using force and blatantly prohibiting them from it, they will oftentimes subtly advise them against it, but let them screw up, that way they come to understand why they should listen to their parents--opposed to listening out of compulsion.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 11:05:37 PM by JamesR » Logged

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: