OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 29, 2014, 01:06:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: StrengthFinders, what is this new corporate crap?  (Read 624 times) Average Rating: 0
Shiny
Site Supporter
Muted
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« on: January 17, 2013, 12:01:07 AM »

So finally my company has gotten around to Tom Rath's StrengthFinders book (I think there is a 2.0 one out).

Anyway you take this assesment and it shows you areas where you are strong in (Like mine is competiveness, intellectual, and some other ones I can't remember).

So basically the point of all this is you build on people's strengths and stop focusing on the weaknesses. Supposedly you would be able to have better teams if you can isolate someone's strengths and use them for one are of expertise, and then someone else does another area.

Funny thing is, my company has not implemented this methodology at all. If they did use it, I would imagine there would be a lot of people shuffling around into different areas, maybe folks get promoted and others demoted...but we all know that's not going to happen in the corporate world.

So has anyone else seen this at their company? What do you think of it?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 12:07:03 AM »

We haven't done this at my current employer, but, a couple jobs back I had to do something similar.

We than got "grouped" by our results...so that we could be better utilized, via our personal strengths, for the good of the company.

Yeah....nothing was ever done with that.  It was just a way to keep us happy, as if the company was interested in our personal growth.

However, I think it would have potential....if only for the individual to know at what they excel.  It would perhaps grant some self confidence, to someone who thinks they aren't good enough.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
LBK
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2013, 12:13:59 AM »

*sigh* Same old management baloney, different name. There's nothing in these expensive and full of jargon programs that can't be worked out using a good dose of horse sense.  Tongue Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: refuse

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »

This is bringing back nightmares of my business management course. 20 jargon words to memorize every single week for 15 weeks. Ugh.

LBK
Merarches

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 12:23:40 AM »

This is bringing back nightmares of my business management course. 20 jargon words to memorize every single week for 15 weeks. Ugh.

Oh, good God!! How did you survive this garbage?  Shocked Shocked Shocked
NicholasMyra
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Avowed denominationalist

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 01:07:39 AM »

StrengthFinders
Rolling right now

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.

"You are philosophical innovators. As for me, I follow the Fathers." -Every heresiarch ever
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 01:36:14 AM »

Somehow, this still has to translate into each employee answering the question: "Why should you be fired?"

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:48:22 AM »

Somehow, this still has to translate into each employee answering the question: "Why should you be fired?"

Heh. In all too many cases, a company embarking on one of these corporate programs has one objective in mind: finding "new" ways and excuses to fire people, disguised by the buzzwords du jour.

(I'm getting older and grumpier ....  laugh)
LizaSymonenko
Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
Global Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: God's Holy Catholic and Apostolic Orthodox Church
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 09:46:24 AM »

...no, .....just wiser!  Wink

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2013, 10:29:01 AM »

We took the test.  I was disappointed that "sexy" wasn't one of my strengths, but will have to settle for Intelectualization, I guess.

It doesn't look like we've acted on any of it, but it got me out of a good bit of real work, so I'm happy with it overall.
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2013, 11:46:56 AM »

I am no wooer.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
Justin Kolodziej
Elder

Faith: Catholic (Carmelite wannabe)
Jurisdiction: The Bishop of Raleigh

which way's mt. carmel again???

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2013, 12:28:18 PM »

I remember taking the test on my own when I was unemployed, but I have no idea what the results were  Undecided

Because all my ancestors were farmers, or maybe wheelmakers, or weavers, and I should be one too Tongue My ancestors' village in Polish Galicia is looking better and better each day  Cheesy Need to learn Polish though  Tongue

St. Justin Martyr, St. John Cassian, St. Simon Stock, St. Theresa of Avila, St. John of the Cross, pray for me!
katherineofdixie
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2013, 05:24:45 PM »

My experience is that corporations don't care about your personal strengths and weaknesses - they just want you to do what they tell you to do.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Arachne
Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese of the British Isles and Ireland

Tending Brigid's flame

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2013, 05:34:23 PM »

'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox
orthonorm
Hoplitarches

Faith: Sola Gratia
Jurisdiction: Outside

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2013, 06:15:50 PM »

My experience is that corporations don't care about your personal strengths and weaknesses - they just want you to do what they tell you to do.

"Caring corporatism" has a specific development and need in late liberal capitalism. What I find interesting is that workers enjoy (in general) the commodification of their interiority. Of course, persons long ago made their peace and often joy by being reduced to human capital in virtue of their ostensible "skills". Nowadays, the reduction of ones affections and how most persons most understand themselves to capital is lapped up even more eagerly.

Ignorance is not a lack, but a passion.
LBK
Merarches

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2013, 06:26:26 PM »

I. Like. You.  laugh laugh
vamrat
Vamratoraptor
Taxiarches

Faith: Serbian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: New Gracanica