OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 12:14:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fall of Constantinople and the Reformation  (Read 292 times) Average Rating: 0
Nephi
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Auntie Oak

« on: January 14, 2013, 05:32:25 PM »

~15th century sees the rise and development of humanism with its emphasis on ad fontes ("to the sources")
~1450 the printing press is introduced.
1453 is the Fall of Constantinople and "migration of many Greek-speaking scholars begins toward the West." (from this book, The Reformation)
1516 is the publishing of Erasmus' Greek New Testament
1517 Luther posts his Theses

So now from my reading it seems pretty obvious that humanism paved the way for the Reformation. My wonder is whether the fall of Constantinople and the aforementioned migration to the west had a direct impact on the development of humanism and/or the Reformation? Especially in terms of availability of said "sources," etc.

Liberalochian: Unionist-Ecumenism Lite™
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »

It probably just accelerated what was already going on since the recovery from the Black Death.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: