OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 27, 2014, 10:37:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hagia Sophia, a hypothetical situation...  (Read 1808 times) Average Rating: 0
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOCA

« on: January 11, 2013, 05:24:15 PM »

With the history of the Turkish government, I doubt this would actually happen anytime, but I wanted to present a hypothetical situation.

Hagia Sophia is a museum, and probably will remain so for a long time. But what if the Turkish government decided that it could be used at certain times of the year?

For example, say they tell the Patriarchate that it can hold a service there once a year, possibly just the Paschal Liturgy. But, at the same time, they allow Muslims to hold prayer services there during Ramadan.

It is a big IF and a very unlikely hypothetical situation, but if this situation indeed arose, should we accept?

Or, say that they allow the building to be "rented" out for certain events, such as concerts or religious services, should we jump at the opportunity to celebrate Pascha in Hagia Sophia, even if other religious services and concerts are being held there, or even if we have to pay to worship there and even though the Islamic items and furnishings will remain?
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

that is not the teaching of...

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 06:11:28 PM »

Just my rather uneducated thoughts on the matter... I don't think it'd be workable. Any time the muslims (to use one of your examples) used it, before the Orthodox could use it again it'd have to be reconsecrated (or whatever the proper term is), wouldn't it? Not speaking practically, but just in terms of propriety, that doesn't seem like an acceptable way of going about things.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:11:43 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »

Just my rather uneducated thoughts on the matter... I don't think it'd be workable. Any time the muslims (to use one of your examples) used it, before the Orthodox could use it again it'd have to be reconsecrated (or whatever the proper term is), wouldn't it? Not speaking practically, but just in terms of propriety, that doesn't seem like an acceptable way of going about things.

There are many churches or groups who worship(ed) in places also used by other religions, such as in a hall in a university campus.

I think all that matters is the antimensions since any orthodox furnishings would have to be removed from the site after it was finished, therefore, no permanent altar.
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

I cannot be done for two reasons.

1. Muslims abhor icons and cannot worship in their presence. Any time that they have used a church, they destroyed, whitewashed or plastered over the icons.

2. As Asteriktos pointed out, we must reconsecrate after Muslims have used it. Your observation: "There are many churches or groups who worship(ed) in places also used by other religions, such as in a hall in a university campus" does not apply in this instance.

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »

And what of the Icons? They would have to be plastered over everytime the Muslims would want to pray.

I agree with Asteriktos, the logistics just wouldn't add up.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian

Holy Trinity Church of Gergeti, Georgia

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 06:40:14 PM »

It would be fascinating to see people's reaction if people do indeed come out of the walls to complete the last Liturgy.

Quote from: GabrieltheCelt
If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Quote from: orthonorm
I would suggest most persons in general avoid any question beginning with why.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 07:09:33 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to that fab Muslim fellow who sometimes posts on here, isn't it true that some Muslims hold a prophecy that Hagia Sophia would be returned to us or something? If that's the case, then maybe like the Jews and Evangelicals, we'll get our own group of Muslim lapdogs who want to return Hagia Sophia to us because of some weird end-times prophecy Smiley

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Cyrillic
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

To whom should the Hagia Sophia be returned? To the muslims, who worshipped in it for centuries? To the (Eastern) Catholics, from whom it was stripped by Mehmet II? To the Orthodox, because they too used it for a long time? To the Greek government, because the Greeks built it?

So many choices...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:16:11 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:18:01 PM »

To whom should the Hagia Sophia be returned? To the muslims, who worshipped in it for centuries? To the (Eastern) Catholics, from whom it was stripped by Mehmet II? To the Orthodox, because they too used it for a long time? To the Greek government, because the Greeks built it?

So many choices...

If it goes to the Greek government, then it will be returned to the Orthodox most likely.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 07:19:56 PM »

So many choices...

If it goes to the Greek government, then it will be returned to the Orthodox most likely.

Most likely they'll sell it to the highest bidder to pay their enormous debts  Grin
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:20:39 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 07:23:32 PM »

So many choices...

Technically, it was never a possession of "Eastern Catholics" as it was used by both the Orthodox and the unionists up to the time of the Turkish takeover. It was also not built by Greeks, but by Eastern Romans. The most logical choice would be the Ecumenical Patriarch, since it was his cathedra.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 07:24:04 PM by Shanghaiski » Logged

If you spend long enough on this forum, you'll come away with all sorts of weird, untrue ideas of Orthodox Christianity.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »

It was also not built by Greeks, but by Eastern Romans.

LOL.

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
choy
Archon

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 07:29:09 PM »

Well in this hypothetical scenario, the use of the church would then be treated as if we're using a public space that we rent, rather than a real church that is consecrated for sacred use.  So we don't have to consecrate it again and again and just perform whatever ritual we do when we do hold Liturgy in an open public field or stadium or whatever.

We shouldn't look at it as a proper church from this standpoint because technically its just a public building that we're renting, even though historically it is a church.  We can't then place icons on the walls and we'd probably have to use a portable iconostas.
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 08:15:33 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to that fab Muslim fellow who sometimes posts on here, isn't it true that some Muslims hold a prophecy that Hagia Sophia would be returned to us or something? If that's the case, then maybe like the Jews and Evangelicals, we'll get our own group of Muslim lapdogs who want to return Hagia Sophia to us because of some weird end-times prophecy Smiley
We'd have to create a huge secular movement around it, focus half the world's Orthodox on it, lobby Muslim governments, and just start sending tons of Greek and Russian immigrants over. And in the end the Lord might be upset we are wasting our time by focusing our religion on physical land.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:19:35 PM by rakovsky » Logged
choy
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 08:19:20 PM »

We'd have to create a huge secular movement around it, focus half the world's Orthodox on it, lobby Muslim governments, and just start sending tons of Greek and Russian immigrants over. And in the end the Lord might be upset we are wasting our time instead of sending them to Cyprus.   Cheesy

Of we can just build a brand new grand church somewhere, like in Canada Wink
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 08:21:53 PM »

We'd have to create a huge secular movement around it, focus half the world's Orthodox on it, lobby Muslim governments, and just start sending tons of Greek and Russian immigrants over. And in the end the Lord might be upset we are wasting our time instead of sending them to Cyprus.   Cheesy

Or Bearsville, NY

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »

Or New York?  angel

EDIT--Doh! You beat me to it!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 08:22:55 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:54 PM »

With the history of the Turkish government, I doubt this would actually happen anytime, but I wanted to present a hypothetical situation.

Hagia Sophia is a museum, and probably will remain so for a long time. But what if the Turkish government decided that it could be used at certain times of the year?

For example, say they tell the Patriarchate that it can hold a service there once a year, possibly just the Paschal Liturgy. But, at the same time, they allow Muslims to hold prayer services there during Ramadan.

It is a big IF and a very unlikely hypothetical situation, but if this situation indeed arose, should we accept?

Or, say that they allow the building to be "rented" out for certain events, such as concerts or religious services, should we jump at the opportunity to celebrate Pascha in Hagia Sophia, even if other religious services and concerts are being held there, or even if we have to pay to worship there and even though the Islamic items and furnishings will remain?
You like building castles in Spain. You study architecture after all.
yeshuaisiam
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox, Anabaptist, Other Early Christianity kind of jumbled together

A pulling horse cannot kick.

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 08:37:09 PM »

The suplecher has a lot of fist fights during pascha....

OO & EO's sometimes duke it out....

Crossing doesn't mix... then there's the EO needing to re-consecrate...

I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 08:51:27 PM »

No we would not need to reconsecrate. It wouldn't be a church with an altar and therefore no need to consecrate. Our Priests can serve Divine Liturgy in the wilderness, as long as they have the antimension.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »

No we would not need to reconsecrate. It wouldn't be a church with an altar and therefore no need to consecrate. Our Priests can serve Divine Liturgy in the wilderness, as long as they have the antimension.

Doing this when you are a mission and have a few people is one thing, but to do it in hagia sophia? and then to remove everything so other religions can use it? It just doesn't seem right...
choy
Archon

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »

Doing this when you are a mission and have a few people is one thing, but to do it in hagia sophia? and then to remove everything so other religions can use it? It just doesn't seem right...

Well, like I mentioned, in this hypothetical scenario we would treat it as if it is a stadium we rent every year so that all Orthodox parishes in the city can gather together and have one Liturgy together.  We shouldn't think of it as a proper church anymore, in this scenario its just public space in a historical location that we are renting.
Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

In light of other comments...  It is possible, nor probable.  It would be blessed, not wholly reconsecrated (it was already consecrated long ago).  The Muslims would cover (not plaster) the icons.  My assumption is they would not bother more than once a year, if that.  I think that if it were to happen, they would give us our space and they would have their space.  But again, not probable, but with God all things are possible.  Long live the Great Church of Christ (in both senses).  As for the "rented," I would just submit to a synod of Bishops on this.        
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 09:42:11 PM »

We should pick up Hagia Sophia and MOVE IT SOMEWHERE ELSE!

stanley123
Protokentarchos

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Roman Catholic

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 09:49:53 PM »

And what of the Icons? They would have to be plastered over everytime the Muslims would want to pray.
From time to time, in a few Latin Catholic Churches they will have an Eastern Catholic priest celebrate the Eastern Divine  Liturgy so that Latins can become more acquainted with it. And the Eastern Catholic priest will have a temporary setup that can be easily taken down after the Byzantine Liturgy.
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 10:08:53 PM »

We need a Patrick picture of this... To the HH thread!
Maximum Bob
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox

Personal Text? We can have personal text?

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »

Sigh, I still pray for it's return though.

AS MANY OF YOU AS HAVE BEEN BAPTIZED INTO CHRIST HAVE PUT ON CHRIST, ALLELEUIA
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2013, 02:07:14 AM »

Well if the Muslims did cover up all the icons in the Hagia Sophia, at the present, couldn't we just put up some mountable ones and then take them down once our services are concluded?

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2013, 07:26:55 AM »

Until St. Peters in Rome was built it was the largest church in the world. It was said 30,000 could worship at a time. How do you move that? Use "Da'Force"?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:27:17 AM by Αριστοκλής » Logged

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2013, 08:04:55 AM »

2. As Asteriktos pointed out, we must reconsecrate after Muslims have used it. Your observation: "There are many churches or groups who worship(ed) in places also used by other religions, such as in a hall in a university campus" does not apply in this instance.

AFAIK the last Liturgy was seved there around WWI so it would be OK withour reconsecration.
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2013, 02:44:10 PM »

AFAIK the last Liturgy was seved there around WWI so it would be OK withour reconsecration.

There was a liturgy served in Hagia Sophia around WWI? Source?

mike
Warned
Stratopedarches

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2013, 03:40:42 PM »

Here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWJVQQy5azQ
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 03:41:08 PM by Michał Kalina » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Warned
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox

fleem
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2013, 03:51:25 PM »

Well if the Muslims did cover up all the icons in the Hagia Sophia, at the present, couldn't we just put up some mountable ones and then take them down once our services are concluded?

I wish we could.  Cry I doubt the Islamists would allow for dual-use or reconsecration (if that were necessary).

Charlie Rose: "If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?"

Fran Lebowitz: "Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisified."

spcasuncoast.org
Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2013, 04:04:58 PM »

Thanks. It would be good to get something in English. Mystagogy has a cryptic article, but no translation and no commentary so it's hard to get to the context and the how and why.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2013, 04:18:42 PM »

Thanks. It would be good to get something in English. Mystagogy has a cryptic article, but no translation and no commentary so it's hard to get to the context and the how and why.

Here's a horrible Google translation of a Greek memoir about the incident:
http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kairatos.com.gr%2Fagiasofia.htm&sl=el&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

Father H
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian--God's One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: UOCofUSA-Ecumenical Patriarchate

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2013, 01:45:06 AM »

lol.  You gave me a well needed smile here James.  Brings to mind Christopher Cross "Ride like the wind" with big trucks and airlifts heading for the border of Greece in the middle of the night. 
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2013, 02:34:39 AM »

2. As Asteriktos pointed out, we must reconsecrate after Muslims have used it.
What power do the Muslims have that the church building requires ritual cleansing and re-sanctification?

Do the Djinn overpower Christ?  Roll Eyes

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2013, 02:40:12 AM »

I'm just going to be honest. I would RATHER it stay a museum because if the Turkish government starts renting it out, then Muslims would most likely be using it as well. I find it more comforting to know that it is devoid of any religious services than to know that heathen Muslims are using it.

Shanghaiski
Taxiarches

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2013, 03:23:22 PM »

What power do the Muslims have that the church building requires ritual cleansing and re-sanctification?

No. But it's the usual order of business for churches that have been used for non-church purposes by hostile powers to reconsecrate them. The Church of the Nativity was reconsecrated after the Muslims took it over in the second Israeli occupation of Bethlehem. The altar was used for a latrine. When the occupation ended, the Orthodox faithful cleaned up the church all in one day and then the patriarch reconsecrated it.

The Armenians have a special service for "Dedicating Afresh a Profaned Church." I would imagine there's something similar in the Russian and Greek service books.

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2013, 03:37:07 PM »

Do the Djinn overpower Christ?  Roll Eyes

Why make the sign of the cross when in trouble, won't God's grace be with us anyway? You could nitpick at dozens of practices like this...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:37:32 PM by Asteriktos » Logged
Gamliel
Archon

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2013, 03:49:51 PM »

Maybe we can divide up the Hagia Sophia in the same bizarre fashion that the Church of the Holy Sepulcher is divided up.  We can have the muslim section where the Catholic section would be  police
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:50:36 PM by Gamliel » Logged
rakovsky
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2013, 04:47:48 PM »

I'm just going to be honest. I would RATHER it stay a museum because if the Turkish government starts renting it out, then Muslims would most likely be using it as well. I find it more comforting to know that it is devoid of any religious services than to know that heathen Muslims are using it.
Interesting...

Sharing with Muslims though seems less confusing to me than the fact a/some Orthodox church(es) have chosen to hold their liturgies in Freemason temples before their churches were built.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 04:51:20 PM by rakovsky » Logged
Basil 320
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, Holy Metropolis of Pittsburgh

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:17 PM »

I'd be all for this hypothetical proposal as a step in the right direction.  We could use portable ecclesiastical supplies including a Holy Table, Icon Screen, Bishop's Throne, etc., such as we use during Clergy-Laity Congresses while worshiping in hotel conference rooms.  Does anyone know if any of the other adjoining buildings remain, that were associated with the complex when the Church of the Holy Wisdom was the headquarters of the Ecumenical Patriarchate, prior to May 29, 1453?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 05:53:28 PM by Basil 320 » Logged

"...Strengthen the Orthodox Community..."
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2013, 07:02:45 PM »

No. But it's the usual order of business for churches that have been used for non-church purposes by hostile powers to reconsecrate them. The Church of the Nativity was reconsecrated after the Muslims took it over in the second Israeli occupation of Bethlehem. The altar was used for a latrine. When the occupation ended, the Orthodox faithful cleaned up the church all in one day and then the patriarch reconsecrated it.

The Armenians have a special service for "Dedicating Afresh a Profaned Church." I would imagine there's something similar in the Russian and Greek service books.

But Hagia Sophia is not a church anymore, and in this hypothetical situation, isn't a church. It's a museum that would be used as a once a year site for a Divibe Liturgy which would be performed with temporary liturgical furnishings and items. The altar wouldn't even be consecrated since it'd have to be removed.

As mentioned, this would just be like an Orthodox parish serving in a Anglican basement, a university ecumenical center or otherwise. It wouldn't need to be re-consecrated.
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

When in doubt, say: "you lack the proper φρόνημα"

« Reply #44 on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:58 AM »

Do the Djinn overpower Christ?  Roll Eyes

Why make the sign of the cross when in trouble, won't God's grace be with us anyway? You could nitpick at dozens of practices like this...
Wouldn't holding services in the Church be the required act re-asserting dominion?

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
username!
Section Moderator
Protokentarchos

Faith: Ukrainian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Pennsylvaniadoxy

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2013, 03:44:29 AM »

Who built the church? An Orthodox Emperor.  Who stole it? Roman Catholics and later Muslims.  Who does it go back to?  DA! This is an easy one, the Orthodox.  It is a blessed and consecrated church.  It would probably just need a re-dedication, cleansing or something to that effect WHEN we get the church back. 
And the money to restore the 1500 year old structure would most likely pour in fast.  I'd find extra money to donate.

88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2013, 11:52:37 AM »

Who built the church? An Orthodox Emperor.  Who stole it? Roman Catholics and later Muslims.  Who does it go back to?  DA! This is an easy one, the Orthodox.  It is a blessed and consecrated church.  It would probably just need a re-dedication, cleansing or something to that effect WHEN we get the church back. 
And the money to restore the 1500 year old structure would most likely pour in fast.  I'd find extra money to donate.

It'd take a war to get it back, and I dunno if you noticed, Greece has no chance in a war against Turkey, and Istanbul is a megacity, it's not like it would be taken as easily as it might have been 100+ years ago.

If it were fully returned, it'd need a reconsecration, but in this scenario, it wouldn't need to be reconsecrated.
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »

Who built the church? An Orthodox Emperor. 

An aphthartodocetist one, actually.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 12:18:51 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »

A Saint, actually.
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »

I think you'll find that the source for this claim is rather dubious

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Carl Kraeff (Second Chance)
Taxiarches

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2013, 03:58:40 PM »

If a consecrated temple was "decommissioned" and in effect desecrated, wouldn't you have to reconsecrate it?

Michal: "SC, love you in this thread."
88Devin12
Protokentarchos

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2013, 04:00:37 PM »

If a consecrated temple was "decommissioned" and in effect desecrated, wouldn't you have to reconsecrate it?

Yes if it was to be used as a church with a permenant altar. In THIS circumstance (per OP), it wouldn't be reconsecrated.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: