OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 11:28:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mother Thekla's Letter to a New Convert  (Read 863 times) Average Rating: 0
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« on: January 11, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »

Sage advice for converts:

Dear “John”,

I understand that you are on the way to becoming Orthodox. I know nothing about you, beyond the fact that you are English.
Before we go any further, there is one point I should make clear. I have not been told why you are about to convert, but I assure you there is no point whatsoever if it is for negative reasons. You will find as much “wrong” (if not more) in Orthodoxy as in the Anglican or Roman Churches.
So – the first point is, are you prepared to face lies, hypocrisy, evil and all the rest, just as much in Orthodoxy as in any other religion or denomination?
Are you expecting a kind of earthly paradise with plenty of incense and the right kind of music?
Do you expect to go straight to heaven if you cross yourself slowly, pompously and in the correct form from the right side?
Have you a cookery book with all the authentic Russian recipes for Easter festivities?
Are you an expert in kissing three times on every possible or improper occasion?
Can you prostrate elegantly without dropping a variety of stationery out of your pockets?

OR…..

Have you read the Gospels?
Have you faced Christ crucified? In the spirit have you attended the Last Supper – the meaning of Holy Communion?

AND….

Are you prepared, in all humility, to understand that you will never, in this life, know beyond Faith; that Faith means accepting the Truth without proof. Faith and knowledge are the ultimate contradiction –and the ultimate absorption into each other.
Living Orthodoxy is based on paradox, which is carried on into worship – private or public.
We know because we believe and we believe because we know.
Above all, are you prepared to accept all things as from God?
If we are meant, always, to be “happy”, why the Crucifixion? Are you prepared, whatever happens, to believe that somewhere, somehow, it must make sense? That does not mean passive endurance, but it means constant vigilance, listening, for what is demanded; and above all, Love.
Poor, old, sick, to our last breath, we can love. Not sentimental nonsense so often confused with love, but the love of sacrifice – inner crucifixion of greed, envy, pride.
And never confuse love with sentimentality.
And never confuse worship with affectation.
Be humble – love, even when it is difficult. Not sentimental so called love – And do not treat church worship as a theatrical performance!

I hope that some of this makes sense,
With my best wishes,
Mother Thekla
(sometime Abbess of the Monastery of the Assumption, Normanby)

http://journeytoorthodoxy.com/2013/01/02/mother-theklas-letter-to-a-new-convert/

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Romaios
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 11:29:28 AM »

^ Excellent advice! Not just for converts...
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:47:15 AM »

How dare she ask if he's read the Gospels.  After all, millions of pious Christians over the years have never read them so what good are they?

/sarcasm

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Gebre Menfes Kidus
"SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
Merarches

Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Tewahedo / Non-Chalcedonian

"Lord Have Mercy on Me a Sinner!"

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 11:54:34 AM »

Excellent advice. I await the ridicule she will receive from some on this forum for being so presumptuous as to dare proffer godly advice to anyone. But I am personally grateful for her wisdom.

Selam 

"If you stop to throw stones at every dog that barks at you along the way, you will never reach your goal." [Turkish Proverb]
stavros_388
OC.net guru

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Diocese of Nelson

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

Not just for converts...

Very true!

"The kingdom of heaven is virtuous life, just as the torment of hell is passionate habits." - St. Gregory of Sinai
Ansgar
Archon

Faith: More than an inquirer, less than a catechumen
Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

Keep your mind in hell and do not despair

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »

Excellent advice. I await the ridicule she will receive from some on this forum for being so presumptuous as to dare proffer godly advice to anyone. But I am personally grateful for her wisdom.

Selam 

I cannot see why anyone here should wish to do that.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Monk Vasyl
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: UOC of USA

Monk Vasyl
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:57 PM »

Christ Is Born!

Excellent reading for converts and ALL Orthodox Christians.  Father Alexander Schmemann was reported to have said that converts who have read 3 books on Orthodoxy all of a sudden are experts.  

The unworthy hierodeacon, Vasyl
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 01:03:08 PM »

Selam 

You'd think that, wouldn't you?  Welcome to the internet. Wink

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Archdiocese of Denver

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 01:08:33 PM »

I agree!

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
choy
Archon

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 02:31:03 PM »

Christ Is Born!

Excellent reading for converts and ALL Orthodox Christians.  Father Alexander Schmemann was reported to have said that converts who have read 3 books on Orthodoxy all of a sudden are experts.  

Nonesense!  I have read one book and I think I am an expert!!!

Grin
Cyrillic
Merarches

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 02:34:28 PM »

How dare she ask if he's read the Gospels.  After all, millions of pious Christians over the years have never read them so what good are they?

/sarcasm

Still, should the ability to read or even having read the gospels be a prerequisite for conversion?

On a temporary/semi-permanent/permanent vacation from OC.net.
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 02:43:50 PM »

/sarcasm

Still, should the ability to read or even having read the gospels be a prerequisite for conversion?

Barring certain extreme situations, yes.
Ansgar
Archon

Jurisdiction: Exarchate of orthodox churches of russian tradition in western Europe

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

Selam 

Thanks, it's a pleasure to be here.

But seriously, I can't think of anyone on this forum who would directly ridicule this nun. But maybe I'm just too trusting.

Do not be cast down over the struggle - the Lord loves a brave warrior. The Lord loves the soul that is valiant.

-St Silouan the athonite
Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 02:54:57 PM »

/sarcasm

Barring certain extreme situations, yes.

Exactly.  There is practically no excuse for anyone who can read in this day and age to have not read the Gospels at least once in their lifetime.  In the so-called developed First World, even illiteracy isn't an excuse, as there are any number of audio recordings of the Gospels available. 

Schultz
Taxiarches

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »

Selam 

But seriously, I can't think of anyone on this forum who would directly ridicule this nun. But maybe I'm just too trusting.

Look up a few posts.  Apparently her advice to read the Gospels is under fire, as I knew it would.

Ansgar
Archon

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 03:00:56 PM »

Selam  

You'd think that, wouldn't you?  Welcome to the internet. Wink

Look up a few posts.  Apparently her advice to read the Gospels is under fire, as I knew it would.
But that is disagreements, not necessarily ridicule.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:01:48 PM by Ansgar » Logged

-St Silouan the athonite
Tommelomsky
Elder

Faith: Russian-Orthodox
Jurisdiction: ROCOR

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 03:19:29 PM »

I have this lady at my parish asking me every second week why I want to convert. What she does not know is that I ask myself about this daily and I am very aware of the fact that it takes a lot of learning, service, reading, love and patience. The intention is probably nice, but it can also be a bit too overwhelming and nosy at times..

The meaning of life is to acquire the grace of the Holy Spirit.
Saint Seraphim of Sarov

Thomas said to him: “My Lord and my God!” (John 20:28)

+ Glory be to God for all things! +
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Toumarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Church

Και κλήρονομον δείξον με, ζωής της αιωνίου

fleem
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 08:00:09 PM »

Thank you, Mother Thekla.  angel If only I weren't a stubborn old coot and actually listened to decent people.  Cry

Charlie Rose: If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

Fran Lebowitz: Everything. There is not one thing with which I am satisfied.

http://spcasuncoast.org/
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: