OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 17, 2014, 10:43:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do Cross pendants get blessed?  (Read 3688 times) Average Rating: 0
casisthename

Faith: Converting to Orthodoxy

« on: January 11, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my baptismal cross fell of the chain while I was wearing it and I have yet to find it. I just ordered a new one. Am I suppose to get the new one blessed?

Thanks,
Casea
AWR
Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Expelled from Paradise

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »

Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my baptismal cross fell of the chain while I was wearing it and I have yet to find it. I just ordered a new one. Am I suppose to get the new one blessed?

Thanks,
Casea

No you don't need to, it is a cross, it is holy for what it is.  But you can have your priest bless it just because it shows your respect that it is holy.  Sometimes a priest will place it on the alter for a liturgy and then bless it with holy water.

katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »

Most priests would want you to get it blessed.  My priests also blesses our prayer ropes as well.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »

As previous replies suggest, this varies from priest to priest (and from Christian to Christian.) 

The cross is the cross, and was made holy through Christ's sacrefice.  You can have it blessed by a priest if you wish, there's no reason not to, but it is already sanctified as the symbol of love, sacrefice, and faith.

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
michigander

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »

My cross fell off its chain in a bar once, and I spent a good half hour trying to find it on the floor of the bar. Turned out that it had fallen into my shoe.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: