Author Topic: Do Cross pendants get blessed?  (Read 4046 times)

Offline casisthename

Do Cross pendants get blessed?
« on: January 11, 2013, 09:54:15 AM »
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my baptismal cross fell of the chain while I was wearing it and I have yet to find it. I just ordered a new one. Am I suppose to get the new one blessed?

Thanks,
Casea

Offline AWR

• Greetings from the Southern Jersey Shore.
  • Expelled from Paradise
    • Church  of the Mother of God
Re: Do Cross pendants get blessed?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 10:05:06 AM »
Hey guys,

Unfortunately, my baptismal cross fell of the chain while I was wearing it and I have yet to find it. I just ordered a new one. Am I suppose to get the new one blessed?

Thanks,
Casea

No you don't need to, it is a cross, it is holy for what it is.  But you can have your priest bless it just because it shows your respect that it is holy.  Sometimes a priest will place it on the alter for a liturgy and then bless it with holy water.

Offline katherine 2001

• High Elder
  • Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 11:41:42 AM »
Most priests would want you to get it blessed.  My priests also blesses our prayer ropes as well.

Offline Tikhon.of.Colorado

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 01:11:18 PM »
As previous replies suggest, this varies from priest to priest (and from Christian to Christian.) 

The cross is the cross, and was made holy through Christ's sacrefice.  You can have it blessed by a priest if you wish, there's no reason not to, but it is already sanctified as the symbol of love, sacrefice, and faith.

Offline michigander

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 11:46:28 AM »
My cross fell off its chain in a bar once, and I spent a good half hour trying to find it on the floor of the bar. Turned out that it had fallen into my shoe.