OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 07:57:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Catholic school angers some by admitting gay couple's sons  (Read 2125 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: January 03, 2005, 11:45:17 PM »

Should the sons be punished for the sins of these "fathers"?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Catholic school angers some by admitting gay couple's sons

COSTA MESA, California (AP) -- Some parents and parishioners have accused the Roman Catholic diocese in Orange County of violating church doctrine by allowing a gay couple to enroll their children in a church school.

The group demanded that St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa accept only families that pledge to abide by Catholic teachings, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday's editions. Church doctrine opposes gay relationships and adoption by same-sex couples.

"The teachings of the church seem to have been abandoned," John R. Nixon told the Times. "We send our children to a Catholic school because we expect and demand that the teachings of our church will be adhered to."

School officials rejected the demand, and issued a new policy stating that a family's background "does not constitute an absolute obstacle to enrollment in the school."

The parents' demand would presumably prevent two adopted boys whose parents are both men from attending the school's kindergarten.

The Rev. Gerald M. Horan, superintendent of diocese schools, said that if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.

"This is the quagmire that the parents' position represents," he said. "It's a slippery slope to go down."

The boys' parents, who enrolled their children at the beginning of the school year, declined to comment to the Times.

Some parents have promised to ask the Vatican to intervene and some have threatened to pull their children from the school. Others are worried the boys' attendance will set a precedent, saying their presence is part of a larger effort by the gay community to change the church.

"The boys are being used as pawns by these men to further their agenda," said Monica Sii, who has four children at the school.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2005, 11:48:29 PM by TomS » Logged
bripat22

Slava Tebie, Boze nas! Slava Tebie

« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2005, 02:38:47 AM »

Let those other parents get over their bigotry. I am glad the school took the right stand.
 If every parent were scrutinized as to whether they followed all a Church's teachings before their child could be educated, any religious school would be empty.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 02:41:22 AM by bripat22 » Logged

For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like!-

Maggie Smith "The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie"
Columba

St. Columba of Iona, pray for us...

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2005, 10:42:25 AM »

Well now I don't know if bigotry is the right word. If the church is opposed to gay marriage and parenthood, then it shouldn't allow it to be associated with it's institutions. But I also feel you CAN take the position that the parents of the other children shouldn't cast stones. The one advantage they have over the gay couple is the availability of absolution via the Sacrements.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2005, 11:31:28 AM »

Somehow my personal olifactory detective device senses a gay agenda here. Note that the article does not state whether eiither of the "parents" are Roman Catholics. Indeed, prayers for the children. But I think we'll hear more about this one, soon.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2005, 11:50:09 AM »

I don't think so - I think it is just some people who want the best education for "their" children. And Catholic Schools are certainly better than public ones. You don't have to be RC to enroll your kids in the school.
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2005, 12:00:07 PM »

I really don't think that children of gays should be ostracized. It's not their fault that their parents are living a sinful life.  Would the Catholic school also forbid the entrance of children born to those divorced and remarried outside the Church? I doubt it.

Anastasios

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Etienne

OC.net

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 01:11:00 PM »

I just think it is wonderful that these children apparently have light, cheerful and carefree parents....... Wink

It is afterwards that events are best understood
bripat22

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2005, 01:26:25 PM »

But I also feel you CAN take the position that the parents of the other children shouldn't cast stones. The one advantage they have over the gay couple is the availability of absolution via the Sacrements.

This availability of absolution in the Mystery of Penance is open to all Catholics and Orthodox Christians regardless of orientation.

Columba

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 04:21:16 PM »

While I agree with you, what I assumed was that the gay couple wasn't from the Roman Church and I definately didn't think they were Orthodox.
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2005, 04:49:00 PM »

You have to be careful with this...  My sisters, brother and I all went to a Catholic school, while not adhering to Catholic doctrine.  Though it wasn't my favorite time of my life, it gave us a good basis for our further education.  If you say no to the gays, the next to go could be non-Catholics who want a better education (which is probably what these guys wanted).  I don't approve of what they do in their bedroom, but...

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Michaelj

OC.net

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 08:26:01 AM »

i can't believe that people even find this an issue. 1/ perhaps both parents ARE Catholics, perhaps NOT - they aren't enrolling in the school, the children are there to receive an education (apparently a christian one to boot) so what's the big deal? 2/ any child whose parents are divorced, got pregnant before marriage, have had an abortion, etc etc etc should be expelled: ie: they will have a great school with a probable student population of one. 3/ by getting the vatican to intervene i should imagine all that will occur is a media circus. i hope they do though! then the gay guys can ask the vatican to remove johnny, mary's, kate's etc parents from the school board because they once used condoms! i mean for goodness sake: is one sin greater than another? these people are condemning these men because their sin in socially less acceptable than their own: its called prejiduce. and in 2005 (happy new year by the way) tolerance and acceptance is what should unite faiths, not bigotry. wake up and smell the new century please people.

what people do in their homes is their business. i live my life the way i see fit, and try to not offend anyone. if they show me that same (christian) respect - then thats fine with me. - and that's my two cents Smiley
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 08:27:45 AM by Michaelj » Logged

Dios es mi Esperanza, Cristo es mi Refugio, el Espiritu Santo mi Protección.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2005, 09:01:51 AM »

If they want to set different standards for the school, then let them. But I don't think it's fair (or legally justifiable?) to discriminate against the kid of the gay couple ex post facto. Then again, the kid may be discriminated against by the students themselves, so if the parents really are just using the kid as a pawn (which I obviously don't know) then maybe the school getting the kid out would be the best thing for all involved. On the other hand, if the parents aren't trying to use the kid as a pawn, and the kid is having a hard time among his peers, I would hope that the parents themselves would pull him out.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2005, 09:07:52 AM by Paradosis » Logged
bripat22

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2005, 12:30:12 AM »

. On the other hand, if the parents aren't trying to use the kid as a pawn, and the kid is having a hard time among his peers, I would hope that the parents themselves would pull him out.

or the school could deal strongly with the issue of bullying and deal with the kids giving the child of the gay couple a hard time.  Too many times, school authorities ignore abuse of kids when perceived homosexuality is involved. 
« Last Edit: January 06, 2005, 12:32:23 AM by bripat22 » Logged

bripat22

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2005, 12:34:28 AM »

i

these people are condemning these men because their sin in socially less acceptable than their own: its called prejiduce. and in 2005 (happy new year by the way) tolerance and acceptance is what should unite faiths, not bigotry. wake up and smell the new century please people.

Amen!  Thank you, Michael!!!

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Faith: BZZT

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2005, 12:39:30 AM »

IMO, Schools cannot stamp out abuse by kids. It's impossible, unless you are going to have a teacher looking at each individual kid. Abuse is more than just pushing or taunting with loud gestures. Even a look, even a word under the breath, can be crushing to a kid. As someone who used to be bullied in such a manner, I know. I also know that the teachers couldn't have done a thing about it... not without turning the school into something out of 1984, with cameras everywhere and guards watching each child. You can't make kids be angels if they are devils (I don't use those terms literally, of course). "Cracking down" will only make the kids resent the kid who was originally being picked on even more, because now it is because of him that more strict measures are being put in place. Perhaps we just have a clash of educational methods/thoughts here, eh?
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2005, 10:48:31 AM »

I was bullied as a kid as well, (when in Catholic school, when I went on to public highschool, I was treated normally, imagine).  It was the end of the Cold War & I would get "Commie," "Red," and a whenever I came around a certain group of people they would say "can't talk around her, she's a Russian spy."  Anyway, finally someone complained to the principal, an old Irish nun, on my behalf & without my knowledge.  She came upstairs and told the ringleader in front of the class to go & research his own family, and then read his ancestry in front of the entire class in 2 days.  He came back, rather redfaced, and read that father's entire family was from Western Ukraine, 4 generations back.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Columba

« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

Well I have to agree that while the child should not be discriminated against, it leaves me with the question of who brought his parents sexuality to the attention of the media? No matter who, it's very sad that they'd use a child to further some sociopolitical agenda.
SaintShenouti

« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2005, 12:40:38 PM »

You know, I really hate it when people call it "bigotry" when a Christian says homosexuality is wrong or a sin.  That's just stupidity.  This is exactly what those serpents, those vile wretches in the liberal community want society to make of a faithful Christian.  The situation with the student and his gay parents is a complicated one, yes, but better to attend a private Christian institution with some sort of higher moral standard than otherwise (despite the parents).  I also believe it is shameful for gays to adopt or even have their own children period.  These constant attacks on traditional, God-blessed family are an outrage and must end.   
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: