OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 23, 2014, 01:26:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Growing up  (Read 1916 times) Average Rating: 0
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« on: January 11, 2013, 02:44:05 AM »

Hello all,

Since being back on the forum, I've noticed that there are more posters than I first thought who are under 20.  As an age group, many of our posts from different points in time are much different from each other, and even contradictory.  I remember being the annoyingly zealous 15 year old, who turned into an apathetic agnostic-type person who made mountains out of molehills, and now I'm something else all together.  If you go back and compare a post of mine from one year ago to a post from one month ago, someone who didn't know better would think that they were from different posters.

I wonder if those seasoned (not old...) members could chime in and share some experience and advice for those of us who are still figuring out who we are and what's going on.  I find that many of us, myself included, are just kids trying to sound like experienced adults, and making fools of ourselves in the process.  laugh

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:22:49 AM »

As a seasoned adult with 16 years worth of life experience behind me, I could say, don't EVER apostatize--no matter how difficult the faith gets. One thing I've learned from my mood swings and doubts is that sometimes the answer to a question is not a simple sentence, but has to be experienced and acquired through faithfulness. When you apostatize, you won't get it. But when you stay faithful--as miserable as it is, I mean let's face it, Orthodoxy is a miserable religion--you will at least usually get your answer in the end.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 03:36:22 AM »

One thing I've learned as I've got older is to just have patience with things. Not that I'm super patient or anything, but a lot of times rushing into things you can do more harm than good. Don't be afraid to hold off a while, analyze the situation, come up with a plan, etc. The first thing that occurs to you might not be the best course of action. The other thing is being willing to yield or bend: you don't always have to be right. So someone cut you off in traffic or something, so what? Just go on with your day. Don't let other people get to you.

Large Marge sent me...
NicholasMyra
Avowed denominationalist
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian/Greek

Nepsis or Sepsis™

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 03:48:14 AM »

Stop constructing a self-narrative already!   Wink

Quote from: Orthonorm
if Christ does and says x. And someone else does and says not x and you are ever in doubt, follow Christ.
Tikhon.of.Colorado
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 03:49:47 AM »

Noted.  Grin

"It is true that I am not always faithful, but I never lose courage, I leave myself in the Arms of Our Lord." - St. Thérèse of Lisieux
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »

Well I'm pretty much still a mean hyperdox Herman like I was two years ago.

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 12:09:18 PM »

Think for yourself, but don't think that you are infallible. I espoused a bunch of nonsense when I was younger, and believed that I believed them. In fact, I told my mother a few years ago that I was issuing a blanket retraction for everything I said from about age 16-25.
Also consider your actions carefully - some mistakes/choices can never been undone, the damage can never be repaired. Trust me, the bitterness of regret, when you know it's absolutely your own fault that you hurt yourself and other people, and nothing can change it, is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. You can resolve to be a better person and even, through prayer, the sacramental life, asceticism and acts of charity, become one, but you can't change your past.

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
Alpo
Taxiarches

Faith: Jerkodox

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 03:28:10 PM »

My hair has shortened a bit, I'm turning politically from Liberal to Conservative and asthetically from hipster to dandy. I guess someone could call that as growing up.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 03:28:26 PM by Alpo » Logged

augustin717
Taxiarches

Faith: The other ROC

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 04:15:36 PM »

My hair has shortened a bit, I'm turning politically from Liberal to Conservative and asthetically from hipster to dandy. I guess someone could call that as growing up.
I think it's in a way better to kick it off as a total reactionary and then move on to the left. It's more lasting than the other way around.As for hipsters vs dandies I think they are equally silly. The problem with "liberalism" is it has not much theoretical grounding so it's more like a phase/throwing a tantrum etc .
Romaios
Archon

Jurisdiction: Romanian

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »

I think it's in a way better to kick it off as a total reactionary and then move on to the left. It's more lasting than the other way around.As for hipsters vs dandies I think they are equally silly. The problem with "liberalism" is it has not much theoretical grounding so it's more like a phase/throwing a tantrum etc .

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:27:45 PM »

Stop constructing a self-narrative already!   Wink
we all do, it's a post-modern delusion to think you can avoid that. but i forgot that the holy elders occasionally imply this religion of ours is an antidote to meta-narratives etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:29:59 PM by augustin717 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »

The quotation attributed to Winston Churchill (but he probably didn't say it): "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 04:32:56 PM »

The quotation attributed to Winston Churchill (but he probably didn't say it): "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."
Churchill was a reactionary his whole life . A man of his class. Not more , nor less.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:33:44 PM by augustin717 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2013, 04:35:44 PM »

The quotation attributed to Winston Churchill (but he probably didn't say it): "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."
Churchill was a reactionary his whole life . A man of his class. Not more , nor less.

Whereas I believe that Stalin was able to overcome his class and a seminary education to become a tyrant and mass murderer? No wonder he's considered admirable.

St. John Chrysostom
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:15 PM »

Stop constructing a self-narrative already!   Wink
we all do, it's a post-modern delusion to think you can avoid that.

Now it's "theoretically grounded"!
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2013, 04:37:52 PM »

Whereas I believe that Stalin was able to overcome his class and a seminary education to become a tyrant and mass murderer? No wonder he's considered admirable.
Churchill and Stalin made similar numbers of victims. Churchill mostly did the job in India. And became a Knight of of the British empire for it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 04:39:15 PM by augustin717 » Logged
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2013, 04:47:49 PM »

Churchill conquered India?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2013, 04:49:25 PM »

Hello all,

Since being back on the forum, I've noticed that there are more posters than I first thought who are under 20.  As an age group, many of our posts from different points in time are much different from each other, and even contradictory.  I remember being the annoyingly zealous 15 year old, who turned into an apathetic agnostic-type person who made mountains out of molehills, and now I'm something else all together.  If you go back and compare a post of mine from one year ago to a post from one month ago, someone who didn't know better would think that they were from different posters.

I wonder if those seasoned (not old...) members could chime in and share some experience and advice for those of us who are still figuring out who we are and what's going on.  I find that many of us, myself included, are just kids trying to sound like experienced adults, and making fools of ourselves in the process.  laugh

What is this 'growing up' of which you speak?
JamesR
Virginal Chicano Blood
Warned
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox (but doubtful)
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church *of* America

St. Augustine of Hippo pray for me!

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:58 PM »

Churchill was an overweight racist who hated Indian people, referred to them as "dogs" and smoked his brains out.

You're really on to something here. Tattoo to keep you from masturbating, chew to keep you from fornicating... it's a whole new world where you outsource your crosses. You're like a Christian entrepreneur or something.
James, you have problemz.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2013, 04:51:47 PM »

this religion of ours

How would one interpret this? Is it self-irony, leftist anti-religious zeal, condescending mockery, mature disenchantment?
biro
Excelsior
Site Supporter
Moderated
Hoplitarches

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2013, 04:52:56 PM »

Churchill was an overweight racist who hated Indian people, referred to them as "dogs" and smoked his brains out.

I doubt it.

Also, that wasn't the question.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

Cyrillico est imperare orbi universo

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2013, 04:54:07 PM »

Since being back on the forum, I've noticed that there are more posters than I first thought who are under 20. 

There're only 4 of us here IIRC. You, William, JamesR and me.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2013, 05:03:33 PM »

I'm not planning moving on to the left. To hell with rebellious peasants! Deus vult!

augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2013, 05:05:32 PM »

this religion of ours

How would one interpret this? Is it self-irony, leftist anti-religious zeal, condescending mockery, mature disenchantment?
One needs not interpret everything I say. One may as well ignore it.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2013, 05:08:40 PM »

this religion of ours

One needs not interpret everything I say. One may as well ignore it.

But then again casuistry on the internet is a wonderful pastime.

sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2013, 05:09:36 PM »

Since being back on the forum, I've noticed that there are more posters than I first thought who are under 20. 

I counted until last June. I think there there are couple more in the 20-21 range as well.
Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 05:10:12 PM »

I find that many of us, myself included, are just kids trying to sound like experienced adults, and making fools of ourselves in the process.  laugh

Grin

Well, at least our audience isn't that much better.

"Claret is the liquor for boys; port for men; but he who aspires to be a hero must drink brandy."
-Dr. Samuel Johnson
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »

The quotation attributed to Winston Churchill (but he probably didn't say it): "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart.  If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

Weird how once you see something referenced it seems to pop up everywhere. My watchmaker just told me this saying yesterday.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:11:33 PM by William » Logged

Apart from moral conduct, all that man thinks himself able to do in order to become acceptable to God is mere superstition and religious folly. - Immanuel Kant
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:04 PM »

My watchmaker just told me this saying yesterday.

LOL, do you have a cobbler as well?
William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »

JamesRottnek, that one liberal guy with the Lex Luthor avatar and the new guy who likes having theological breakthroughs. Plus a few lurkers.

William
Muted
Protokentarchos

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2013, 05:14:02 PM »

Well we had to get the watch fitted somewhere.

Cyrillic
Warned
Merarches

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 05:20:10 PM »

JamesRottnek, that one liberal guy with the Lex Luthor avatar and the new guy who likes having theological breakthroughs. Plus a few lurkers.

We're probably the most tiring and annoying group on the whole forum.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:20:32 PM by Cyrillic » Logged

-Dr. Samuel Johnson
sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 05:22:32 PM »

Well we had to get the watch fitted somewhere.

I know, it just sounded funny to me for some reason.
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 05:23:29 PM »

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me..."

Elderly self-meta-narrative discourse.
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 05:27:10 PM »

What's with the obsession with classes? I agree that class is often more relevant issue than nationality etc. but it doesn't dictate everything. I made it to the university and converted to Orthodoxy despite Working class Pentecostal parents.

sheenj
OC.net guru

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2013, 05:28:50 PM »

"When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me..."

Elderly self-meta-narrative discourse.

"Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

Youthful self-meta-narrative discourse.

Wink
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:31:28 PM by sheenj » Logged
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2013, 05:38:28 PM »

What's with the obsession with classes?

An old cunning trick of the Father of lies to divide the body of humanity through perpetual strife and rebellion, so that it cannot stand united as one Adam.

How's that for a meta-narrative?   
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2013, 05:40:07 PM »

What's with the obsession with classes? I agree that class is often more relevant issue than nationality etc. but it doesn't dictate everything. I made it to the university and converted to Orthodoxy despite Working class Pentecostal parents.
I don't quite follow it really. i mean, of all people you know that Finland is a socialist-lite state that tends to make class conflict a bit less acute. As for Churchill he belonged to the uppermost crust of British society. i think it made him blind to plenty of other stuff. The "butade" quoted by Katherineofdixie is case in point.  What did it mean for Churchill to be a "liberal"? Perhaps offend a few of his class' sensibilities like "epater le bourgeois"? What did it mean to be a conservative? Preserve a social and economic order that directly benefited him and his peers like no other.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 05:43:37 PM by augustin717 » Logged
katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2013, 05:46:51 PM »

As for Churchill he belonged to the uppermost crust of British society. i think it made him blind to plenty of other stuff. The "butade" quoted by Katherineofdixie is case in point.  What did it mean for Churchill to be a "liberal"? Perhaps offend a few of his class' sensibilities like "epater le bourgeois"? What did it mean to be a conservative? Preserve a social and economic order that directly benefited him and his peers like no other.

Seriously? Have you even read anything about Churchill and his life? His father was a younger son (admittedly of a family with a long and noble history) and his mother was an American heiress - Leonard Jerome's daughter. While he probably was of the upper classes, he was hardly normal or even typical.

St. John Chrysostom
augustin717
Taxiarches

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 05:49:55 PM »

As for Churchill he belonged to the uppermost crust of British society. i think it made him blind to plenty of other stuff. The "butade" quoted by Katherineofdixie is case in point.  What did it mean for Churchill to be a "liberal"? Perhaps offend a few of his class' sensibilities like "epater le bourgeois"? What did it mean to be a conservative? Preserve a social and economic order that directly benefited him and his peers like no other.

Seriously? Have you even read anything about Churchill and his life? His father was a younger son (admittedly of a family with a long and noble history) and his mother was an American heiress - Leonard Jerome's daughter. While he probably was of the upper classes, he was hardly normal or even typical.
Yes, it was hardly typical for someone  to live here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace
Alpo
Taxiarches

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 05:57:21 PM »

I don't quite follow it really. i mean, of all people you know that Finland is a socialist-lite state that tends to make class conflict a bit less acute.

So individuals can't really make anything on their own unless state bureaucracy comes to their aid?

katherineofdixie
Archon

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 06:10:18 PM »

Yes, it was hardly typical for someone  to live here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blenheim_Palace

Except he didn't live there. Remember me saying his father was a younger son?He was born there, by mistake - he wasn't expected to be born that soon.  And btw, Blenheim Palace was given to his ancestors by the state. (The Crown at that time.) Nice try, though. You could, of course, actually read about Churchill's life but that would probably be too unsettling.
How about actually

St. John Chrysostom
Romaios
Archon

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 06:11:12 PM »

NVM
« Last Edit: January 11, 2013, 06:30:02 PM by Romaios » Logged
dzheremi
No longer posting here.
Warned
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: Coptic

« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »

Don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it. That's about all the advice I can offer on the public forum, but that's all you really need to make it through life, anyway.

Romaios
Archon

« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2013, 06:58:33 PM »

Don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid of it.

What's a 'whitey'? Some sort of disease? I checked here http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=whitey, but couldn't make much of it.
Tags:
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: